CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Bad Digital Climate Control (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2950897-bad-digital-climate-control.html)

LoudassZ 11-16-2011 05:17 PM

Bad Digital Climate Control

Anyone know where to pick up a refurb and how much? The display is so dim I cant see it now and sometimes it wont turn on for some time. Thanks :rock:

trainor 11-16-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LoudassZ (Post 1579235527)
Anyone know where to pick up a refurb and how much? The display is so dim I cant see it now and sometimes it wont turn on for some time. Thanks :rock:

Do a search on the forum and you'll find a step by step to repair it yourself. I did it to mine the other day and it cost me $21 and about 1.5 hours work. Really easy works like new.

Vetteman Jack 11-16-2011 10:53 PM

If you want to try and fix the dim display yourself, I have a few files that might help you out. If you'd like a copy, PM me your e-mail address. Otherwise, try the big auction site.

moparbob65 11-16-2011 11:25 PM

LZ, I agree, its not a big job to fix the dim display following the directions given in this forum. You will need a fine-tipped soldering iron to touch up the edges of about eight surface-soldered resistors. My work was completed in about two hours, mostly spent getting the trim off of the console and dash to get to the control unit. If you replace the contol unit, you will still have to do most of the same work in order to not incur the labor charges.

DeeGee 11-17-2011 02:59 AM

Checkout post #24 in this thread for the DIY fix. Thanks to RPOZ4Z

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ery-dim-2.html

Deviant LS6 11-17-2011 03:19 AM

I picked up a brand new ACDelco A/C control/display unit for $181 on Amazon. There are only a few left.

Here's the part number and description.

15-72949
ACDelco 15-72949 Heater and Air Conditioner Control Assembly

HighInFiber 11-17-2011 07:09 AM

Funny how threads seem to surface... I noticed yesterday AM that mine is starting to act up...

HighInFiber 11-17-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by trainor (Post 1579236428)
Do a search on the forum and you'll find a step by step to repair it yourself. I did it to mine the other day and it cost me $21 and about 1.5 hours work. Really easy works like new.

Was the $21 in tools, or parts?

SilverC54me 11-17-2011 02:47 PM

That would have been in tools. It is the cost of an inexpensive Radio Shack soldering iron and solder. If you hav a soldering iron it would be just your time to take it apart and solder the 6 resistors labeled 241.

Gary

trainor 11-17-2011 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SilverC54me (Post 1579243163)
That would have been in tools. It is the cost of an inexpensive Radio Shack soldering iron and solder. If you hav a soldering iron it would be just your time to take it apart and solder the 6 resistors labeled 241.

Gary

You want to go to Radio Shack and buy a battery operated cold soldering iron. I think the solder was .002. and it was $21

tracer1 11-17-2011 08:56 PM

You don't necessarily need a cold soldering iron, just a VERY fine tip works best. Welders big gun won't do it unless you really good at it.
Also, use silver solder.....you can get this at Radio Shack also. RPOZ4Z is all the instruction you need, although he says don't use a soldering iron. Most of the time, all you have to do is reheat the existing solder. Just get the solder hot enough to melt, you don't need to fry it.

Tracer1

HighInFiber 11-17-2011 09:05 PM

Roger that, copy all. I need to replace the lock relay in the passenger door control module, too. I live in NORCAL w/o a heated garage (70 miles NNW of Reno, on 395). It is currently too cold to start and make the required repairs.

Dan K 11-13-2018 11:11 AM

I took my control out and fixed the resister solder problem but find I have one of the low vote LEDs that light to indicate what push buttons are active is out. Need to know the voltage of these lights so I can get a replacement. Has anyone done this job and knows or is there another thread that has this information and I just have not found it?

Phanni 11-13-2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dan K (Post 1598328123)
I took my control out and fixed the resister solder problem but find I have one of the low vote LEDs that light to indicate what push buttons are active is out. Need to know the voltage of these lights so I can get a replacement. Has anyone done this job and knows or is there another thread that has this information and I just have not found it?

You realize this thread is 7 years old?

Dan K 11-13-2018 05:09 PM

I am new to all this and still trying to figure things out. Is there another thread that would be better to ask this question of? I could not find one that I felt would be any better than this one or should I just start my own thread?

thanks,
Dan

SilverC54me 11-13-2018 09:12 PM

Best would have been creating a new thread for your specific issue.
Let me know if I understand your question correctly, you are saying that one of the indicator LEDs is out (a yellow LED in the corner of the button). These have not gone out on any HVAC I have seen.
Now the clear lamps the light up the buttons to identify them at night, those go out all the time. They are 12v 70ma bulbs, trade number 7219. I have been replacing them with LEDs as most others have been doing for years. The sky is the limit as to what can be done here.

Post some pictures of what the current lighting issue is. This will help give you a better answer.

Gary