CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Consumers Reports Best and Worst (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2956515-consumers-reports-best-and-worst.html)

b4i4getit 11-26-2011 07:04 PM

Consumers Reports Best and Worst

Consumers Reports Best and Worst New Cars 2012 magazine is a joke.
The black dot for 2009 C6 models was on engine cooling, electronics, body integrity and audio system. The black dot for 2010 models was for fuel system and electrical. OK I give up. There were no engine cooling changes for 2009 and the 2010 models have the same audio system and fuel system as the 2009 models. So where are the problems ? They never give the sample size of the respondents so if one person had a problem with something it looks like they give it a black dot. What a crappy magazine. Unfortunately there are those that purchase their cars based on what they say. :ack:

DonOH 11-26-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1579319015)
They never give the sample size of the respondents so if one person had a problem with something it looks like they give it a black dot.

Revealing sample size would certainly make people question all CR's opinions. And it would force them into doing work, such as qualifying the reasons for changes as you've mentioned.

thatonedude1 11-26-2011 08:06 PM

CR Blows

I have used CR for info on stuff like vacuum cleaners, dishwasher soap, and mundane household items where no particular expertise is required to test stuff. When it comes to cars, audio, computers, etc, i get my info from expert sources. CR obviously blows when talking cars, and their reliability info seems very suspect.

CaryBob 11-26-2011 10:03 PM

The minimum sample size is 100. The data comes from the annual survey sent to subscribers. This is not a secret. They actually publish this stuff in the magazine so we can read it!! Imagine. Problems might be overreported in one year and underreported in another year. Thus a 2009 might sport a black circle in one year 's survey but not in the following year's survey, if the sample size is particularly small. I would guess that, given the small number of Corvettes produced in 2010, the number of CR subscribers who own them is on the small size.

Stan0324 11-26-2011 10:07 PM

I stopped reading CR years ago when they gave they Corvette low marks for no cup holders.

RedVette84 11-26-2011 10:19 PM

All I know is I haven't had any problems with my 2010 GS.

LucaBrasiAZ 11-26-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by RedVette84 (Post 1579320475)
All I know is I haven't had any problems with my 2010 GS.

sure you have, the audio system and fuel system just like CR says! :rofl:

Sunset-C6 11-26-2011 11:23 PM

I find this thread to be funny, your OTHER vehicle is most likely an import because the big three US manufacture junk.......

Marc V. 11-26-2011 11:40 PM

Who the F reads Consumer Reports? :crazy2:

Raazor 11-26-2011 11:50 PM

i won best banana at a local car show :yesnod:

Marc V. 11-26-2011 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1579321041)
i won best banana at a local car show :yesnod:

And you didn't even have your car there. :hide:

GHEY

BLEKVET 11-26-2011 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Marc V. (Post 1579321051)
And you didn't even have your car there. :hide:

GHEY

Sure he did. He STILL won ! :rofl:

Raazor 11-27-2011 12:08 AM

^^ :rock:

JimmyLee 11-27-2011 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by CaryBob (Post 1579320367)
The minimum sample size is 100. The data comes from the annual survey sent to subscribers. This is not a secret. They actually publish this stuff in the magazine so we can read it!! Imagine. Problems might be overreported in one year and underreported in another year. Thus a 2009 might sport a black circle in one year 's survey but not in the following year's survey, if the sample size is particularly small. I would guess that, given the small number of Corvettes produced in 2010, the number of CR subscribers who own them is on the small size.

Another way in which the sample is distorted is that it takes a certain "type" of person who would take the time to fill out a survey and mail it in (for example, someone angry about their cars poor reliability)

Considering all of the variables, I wouldn't even rely on THIS FORUM as my sample!

07MontyRed 11-27-2011 05:01 AM

Consider this. CR reported the 1983 Corvette had more problems than any other car in its category.

Problem is, of course, there were no 1983 Corvettes released to the public (only a few prototypes ... the production cars were 1984s).

I stopped believing anything they have to say ...

Garibaldi 11-27-2011 07:22 AM

CR has its purposes when there's a large sample size and it's rating something mundane like a coffee pot. However, there are glaring misrepresentations in two categories that I know of:
Audio and cars.

Their audio reviews bite the large one. They consistently choose speakers that most knowlegable audio people would gag at, usually something from Bose. With cars, the smaller the sample, the less reliable the results. However, when they report that Audi, VW, and other German cars are parts whores, my feeling is they're right on the money. In addition, it's not hard to rate Japanese and some Korean cars high on reliability because they are.

ATCmoose 11-27-2011 07:25 AM

I read consumer reports all the time. And yes, I fill out the surveys. I send in accurate information almost none of which has been negative. I have found it to be very helpful.

That being said, I get my Corvette info Here. I have used their used car info on my last 2 used cars and I am glad I did.

RobLo 11-27-2011 07:45 AM

Have to keep reports by CR in perspective, they're not the Bible. I've been subscribing for over 25 years and have found them very useful for many things. For cars, I usually read the negatives (if I'm to the point of researching a car, I already like the basic car and just want to read what they find wrong with it) and then after that, I determine if those things will keep me from buying or leasing that car. And if I'm to the point of test driving, I'll look for those negatives to see how much of a concern they are to me, certain things I could care less about whereas safety, comfort, reliability, LOOKS, performance, those are the things that matter (to me at least!). And they take NO advertising dollars from any manufacturer and buy all there products over the counter just like we all do. And NO, I don't work for them....:thumbs:

Tom/99 11-27-2011 07:51 AM

I don't believe a word 'Consumer Reports Magazine' prints.

Garibaldi 11-27-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by RobLo (Post 1579321948)
Have to keep reports by CR in perspective, they're not the Bible. I've been subscribing for over 25 years and have found them very useful for many things. For cars, I usually read the negatives (if I'm to the point of researching a car, I already like the basic car and just want to read what they find wrong with it) and then after that, I determine if those things will keep me from buying or leasing that car. And if I'm to the point of test driving, I'll look for those negatives to see how much of a concern they are to me, certain things I could care less about whereas safety, comfort, reliability, LOOKS, performance, those are the things that matter (to me at least!). And they take NO advertising dollars from any manufacturer and buy all there products over the counter just like we all do. And NO, I don't work for them....:thumbs:

All of these are good points. I think, as far as cars are concerned, if one can infer a large enough sample size, their list of 'don't buy these cars' is probably valid. I'm embarrassed to say I owned a 88 Merkur Scorpio with a 100,000 mile maintenance, wear, and replacement warranty. Ford paid out at least $15K to keep that puppy running. And yes, CR blacked out the circles on EVERY category...