CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Long Winters Nap: How to Store Your Corvette for the Winter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/2963216-long-winters-nap-how-to-store-your-corvette-for-the-winter.html)

CF Editor 12-08-2011 09:07 PM

Long Winters Nap: How to Store Your Corvette for the Winter

Keith at Corvette Blogger put together this really through guide for storing your Corvette. We know this subject has been done to death but still thought this was pretty great:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...tteBlogger.php

IAFF alumni 12-09-2011 10:55 AM

Wow... That is really wrapping her up for the winter!

I didn't go quite that far with mine because I hope there will be some nice days where she can get some 'exercise' over the winter. :)

In my case, I left the battery in, but installed a charger / maintainer / desulfator from BatteryMINDer to keep the batter in top condition while still in the car.

Check out my project post here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...r-project.html

Rather than a Car Jacket, I use an indoor car cover to keep any dust or dirt off. That way if I want to take her out, it only takes minutes to get her ready.

Finally, after hearing of horror stories from other owners about mice making a home in their collector cars for the winter (and doing LOTS of damage), I bought several moth ball cakes encased in plastic with a 'coat hanger' hook on the end. These I hung on both sun visors much the same way you would hang them in a closet to protect your clothes.

In my other collector that sits outside (an 89 Celica GT drop-top), I put two open boxes of moth balls on each of the front seats. I figured the outside car might be a little more 'exposed' to any traveling rodents than the C4 is inside. :D

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/1...13204420850001

Love your storage post.
Hopefully our winters will be mild and will go by quickly. :thumbs:

DevilDog II 12-11-2011 09:00 AM

I've stored my car during the winter for 11 years. I change the oil, fill the gas tank, add Stabil, over inflate the tires, and put a cover on it. I disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it in the car. It has fired right up every spring with no problems. I also put numerous bars of Irish Spring soap and dryer sheets throughout the interior and engine compartment to keep out the mice. :cheers:

06Rawpower 10-13-2016 07:25 PM

Tires during winter storage

Hi! I was told by the former owner of my 06 Vette that I bought this summer that when storing the Vette for the long winter nap here in northern Michigan to also make sure to get the tires are off the floor so they don't get a flat spot and cause premature tire failure. He did this by placing each tire on a specialized heavy duty foam ramps made by Brute Technologies http://bruteindustries.com/#, a bit pricey. Personally I'm going to buy a set of car dollies from Harbor Freight Co. so I'll be able to also push my Vette more out of the way in our garage. What's your take on getting your Vettes tires up off the floor? Important?

IAFF alumni 10-13-2016 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 06Rawpower (Post 1593250048)
What's your take on getting your Vettes tires up off the floor? Important?

For bias ply tires, yes.
For todays radials, no. They don't flat spot unless you leave the car there for the next 20 years.

Now the Harbor Freight casters? Yes, great item to be able to move the car a bit when you need to make a bit of room.

06Rawpower 10-13-2016 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by IAFF alumni (Post 1593250284)
For bias ply tires, yes.
For todays radials, no. They don't flat spot unless you leave the car there for the next 20 years.

Now the Harbor Freight casters? Yes, great item to be able to move the car a bit when you need to make a bit of room.

Thank you for such a quick reply! That's good to know about the new radial tires. I've never stored a vehicle over the winter before and the article along with everyone's comments will help me greatly and put me more at ease as I get my beauty ready for the long "Long Winter Nap" Nov-May/June up here in Northern Mi. Along with winterizing I'll do a complete detailing of the interior as well as exterior including cleaning the finish, Clay bar, polish and waxing. Then I can day-dream all winter of cruising down the roads come summertime, all 3 months of it, lol. Thanks once again! Cheers!

Spark 2 10-14-2016 01:26 PM

In my opinion, from past experience, cheap car dollies don't work well

with Corvettes. It's not like you have a metal car to push or pull on.

I ended up pushing / pulling on the wheel spokes and I have a pretty

smooth garage floor.

06Rawpower 10-14-2016 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spark 2 (Post 1593254618)
In my opinion, from past experience, cheap car dollies don't work well

with Corvettes. It's not like you have a metal car to push or pull on.

I ended up pushing / pulling on the wheel spokes and I have a pretty

smooth garage floor.

yeah the reviews that I've read on the 3 different car dollies that Harbor Freight has everyone recommended greasing the Dollie wheel axles before using and then they glide like on ice but you do bring up a valid point about not being able to push on a solid metal body like most cars. Harbor Freight does make a car dollie that has a built in jack with a handle on it. One person said that they used that handle to help maneuver their car. The problem with that particular Dollie is it'll only accommodate up to a 9" wide tire. That not Vette size...I'll shop around more. Thank you for your insight from experience! :thumbsup:

06Rawpower 10-14-2016 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by DevilDog II (Post 1579441205)
I've stored my car during the winter for 11 years. I change the oil, fill the gas tank, add Stabil, over inflate the tires, and put a cover on it. I disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it in the car. It has fired right up every spring with no problems. I also put numerous bars of Irish Spring soap and dryer sheets throughout the interior and engine compartment to keep out the mice. :cheers:

how much air pressure are you putting in your tires for over inflation? By disconnecting your negative battery cable aren't you losing all of the programming in different areas in your car electronics i.e. Radio/Nav center, driver seat/mirror/steering wheel positioning etc...? Or doesn't your car have any of the modern electronics? :cheers:

searay 10-14-2016 03:30 PM

Storing Vette for 3 or 4 months

I traded my 03 C4 in for a C7 & will store it the way I always have with no problems: in dry garage, full tank with stabilizer, hook up GM supplied battery tender to maintain charge. Will do two other things this year: cloths in the four tail pipes and moth balls under the hood to ward off any rodents. During the time in storage I will: clean tires & wheels & apply protectorant/ wax wheels, dust off car and wax it.

06Rawpower 10-14-2016 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by searay (Post 1593255399)
I traded my 03 C4 in for a C7 & will store it the way I always have with no problems: in dry garage, full tank with stabilizer, hook up GM supplied battery tender to maintain charge. Will do two other things this year: cloths in the four tail pipes and moth balls under the hood to ward off any rodents. During the time in storage I will: clean tires & wheels & apply protectorant/ wax wheels, dust off car and wax it.

Congratulations on the C7!:cheers: What year, model and color? I've not thought nor heard of putting clothes in the four tailpipes, great idea. Also wheel protectant wax 👍🏻.
Im going to start making a checklist. Great ideas on here.

searay 10-14-2016 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 06Rawpower (Post 1593255948)
Congratulations on the C7!:cheers: What year, model and color? I've not thought nor heard of putting clothes in the four tailpipes, great idea. Also wheel protectant wax 👍🏻.
Im going to start making a checklist. Great ideas on here.

I traded in a C5 not C4. My new 2016 C7 stingray convertible: shark grey metallic - loaded. Awesome car.

06Rawpower 10-14-2016 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by searay (Post 1593257041)
i traded in a c5 not c4. My new 2016 c7 stingray convertible: Shark grey metallic - loaded. Awesome car.

nice! :) Some day I'll step up to a C7.

06Rawpower 04-13-2017 08:55 AM

Well...My 1st Post winter nap with my C6. The Wheel dollies from Harbor Freight worked great! As for keeping mice out of my C6...NOT so much. I put dozens of dryer sheets and shaved Irish Springs soap in panty hose bags in the trunk, cockpit, glove boxes, under the hood etc...no mice in trunk or cockpit but mouse turds all over on top of engine. Matter of fact, the mice even ate into a bag of soap shavings on top of engine! Lol Hearty and hungry rascals. After very close inspection around the engine compartment there were no chewed wires, no nests in air box or anyplace else. Just vacuumed up the droppings and wiped up.
I tried out some of those sonic pest controllers that you plug into a wall outlet but that wasn't keeping mice out of my garage as I'd found evidence of them being around during our long winter. After setting a couple of old fashion mouse traps with peanut butter I had 2 within 30 minutes with one staring at me standing next to his dead relative! I ended up buying Decon squares. They're eating that and have disappeared. My neighbor who stores a couple cars in the winter recommended this and has no issues with mice and doesn't put anything in his two cars. And they're stored in a pole barn without a floor. I'll be ready next year. I might look into buying a car bubble. Cheers! Happy cruising!