CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   x-pipe that welds up ipo resonator on lt1 exhaust? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2970915-x-pipe-that-welds-up-ipo-resonator-on-lt1-exhaust.html)

dizwiz24 12-23-2011 02:43 PM

x-pipe that welds up ipo resonator on lt1 exhaust?

Just curious if anyone knows of an x-pipe, preferably avail. from summit racing equip, that would weld up in place of the resonator on my 93 lt1 exhaust?

Thats a narrow tunnel in there, and most would prob be too wide (id have to spread the pipes somehow on the stock system).

Also, is there any one 'style' of x-pipe out there thats better than the others?

PLRX 12-23-2011 02:58 PM

1. Have the muffler shop make you one.

2. If you search here there are few threads linked to supporting vendors that have it their inventory.

THE 383 admiral 12-23-2011 03:00 PM

I'm gonna say no with a True x pipe wide design
thinking about taking two 190* >< and weld together
compact and same principle
Ps the magna flow stamp design I think is cheesy

c4speed 12-23-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by PLRX (Post 1579548513)
1. Have the muffler shop make you one.

2. If you search here there are few threads linked to supporting vendors that have it their inventory.

I usually don't :iagree:with this guy but now :iagree:

dizwiz24 12-23-2011 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by c4speed (Post 1579548619)
I usually don't :iagree:with this guy but now :iagree:

i dont mess around w/ muffler shops I do my own welds.

I dont like shops as they screw my stuff up, and then charge me again to go back in and fix it.
Been there, done that.

That said, I cant make my own pipes or bend pipes.

QuickGlass 12-24-2011 01:29 PM

I just did this. I bought an xpipe from ebay.
There are many sellers of the same thing. Its 12" long and less then 8" wide.

The problem is the xpipe is 3" pipe, 4" center to center distance.
The factory system is 2.75" pipe, 3.5" center to center.
I used 3" pipe to make up the difference in length and slight misalignment.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16266254/Xpipe.jpg

GREGGPENN 12-24-2011 02:22 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12569/

Ever consider one of these? LT4Obsesses has one in the belly of his LT4. I might not have the correct model, but they do make one that'll fit.

x-pipe and muffler/resonator in one box.

Joe C 12-24-2011 02:34 PM

just out of curiosity, how did, or do you determine the position of the X-section. i'm thinking its position within the exhaust pipe is somewhat critical. also, the flow characteristics of an X-section MAY be somewhat beneficial, but a simple H-pipe may suffice. seems to me, it would be a whole lot easier to fabricate.

LT4BUD 12-25-2011 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=Joe C;1579556211]just out of curiosity, how did, or do you determine the position of the X-section. i'm thinking its position within the exhaust pipe is somewhat critical. also, the flow characteristics of an X-section MAY be somewhat beneficial, but a simple H-pipe may suffice. seems to me, it would be a whole lot easier to fabricate.[/QUOTE]

Don't assume it is easier and I agree with OP to never trust a muffler shop....

I had a shop make an H-pipe for my 3" B&B......a year later when the exhaust was off for more mods I discovered they had simply cut a pipe the length of the center to center distance and welded it in, in other words they blocked about half of both pipes.....unbelieveable!!

FWIW I was trying to install an H-pipe on the B&B exhaust at the same location as the h-pipe on the factory LT4 exhaust

:cheers:

QuickGlass 12-25-2011 09:17 AM

I've seen dyno plots showing an x pipe produces more power then a h pipe. The theory goes that:
The h pipe balances pressure on the two sides.
The x pipe produces a scavenging effect as the exhaust crosses.

The position of the x maybe more beneficial in different locations ( the same holds true for an h), but your options are limited. The resonator is about 2 feet long and the x pipe is 1 foot, you only have a foot to play with.

96 lt-4 12-25-2011 09:24 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-643125/

You need a narrow one.Check ebay as well.Look for one that has the center to center measurement you need.

Joe C 12-25-2011 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=LT4BUD;1579560671]

Originally Posted by Joe C (Post 1579556211)
just out of curiosity, how did, or do you determine the position of the X-section. i'm thinking its position within the exhaust pipe is somewhat critical. also, the flow characteristics of an X-section MAY be somewhat beneficial, but a simple H-pipe may suffice. seems to me, it would be a whole lot easier to fabricate.[/QUOTE]

Don't assume it is easier and I agree with OP to never trust a muffler shop....

I had a shop make an H-pipe for my 3" B&B......a year later when the exhaust was off for more mods I discovered they had simply cut a pipe the length of the center to center distance and welded it in, in other words they blocked about half of both pipes.....unbelieveable!!

FWIW I was trying to install an H-pipe on the B&B exhaust at the same location as the h-pipe on the factory LT4 exhaust

:cheers:

well assuming it's done right, it SEEMS to me to be easier. i remember back in the days of my C5's, but the factory H-pipe was installed with only a .75 inch opening between the pipes. they found out that it caused several issues - mostly with some noise and backfire issues. see, even the general doesn't always get right. as far as the location, i once read that the optimal location for an H or X pipe is to spray some lacquer paint along the length of the exhaust pipe. at the point where the paint first starts to burn and blister is the point where you want to install the balance tube. i can't verify or confirm this, and i'm by no means an exhaust system expert - just read this years ago...

96 lt-4 12-26-2011 10:10 AM

^ Old racers trick for collector length.
General rule for scavenging effect is as close to the collectors as possible.
On a C4 the only viable place is the tunnel and in place of the resonator is the perfect place.