CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   tire question-bias ply vs radial (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2974462-tire-question-bias-ply-vs-radial.html)

ukester 12-30-2011 04:24 PM

tire question-bias ply vs radial

building a factory correct 427 pg car and will be needing to get some tires. car came with redline bias ply of course but wanted to know for resale which way to go? May have to drive this a little before someone buys this,thanks in advance.

Mark

1snake 12-30-2011 04:32 PM

A search will give you lots of info. but if it was me, I wouldn't run bias ply tires on a car I plan to drive if they were free. Been there, done that. As far as re-sale value, a test drive with bias ply tires will scare away future owners that aren't aware that they will cause a car to handle and ride like crap.

Jim

ricks327 12-30-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1579604158)
A search will give you lots of info. but if it was me, I wouldn't run bias ply tires on a car I plan to drive if they were free. Been there, done that. As far as re-sale value, a test drive with bias ply tires will scare away future owners that aren't aware that they will cause a car to handle and ride like crap.

Jim

:iagree: and I would avoid Coker brand radial tires.

Rick

MikeM 12-30-2011 07:03 PM

I wouldn't put the bias ply tires on the car unless you just like the look. My experience with Coker bias ply tires is a one time affair. Based on what I've seen, today's bias ply don't drive nearly as well as yesterday's bias ply.

But, I am running a set of them on my '65 and like driving on them but the car is not for sale and isn't going to be judged.

Corvette ED 12-30-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ricks327 (Post 1579605354)
:iagree: and I would avoid Coker brand radial tires.

Rick

Could you explain why?

1snake 12-30-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette ED (Post 1579605981)
Could you explain why?

Many have had problems with out of round and hard/impossible to balance ties, myself included.

Jim

ricks327 12-30-2011 09:14 PM

I was fortunate that I didn't have out of round tires or balance issues. I will provide a quick background of my driving experience. I am a retired police officer with extensive training in pursuit driving. One night I was driving home at 40mph and encountered an object in the road that needed to be avoided. I swerved to avoid the object and almost lost control of the car, it felt like the tire was going to roll off the wheel. I related this info to John Z who stated that Coker sidewalls were poorly constructed and thin. I have since replaced the Coker with Michelin X tires from DiamondBack and have tried a similar maneuver with positive results, so I know it was not the car but the tires. Just my 2 cents.
Rick

Marks69BB 12-30-2011 09:37 PM

Another vote for the Diamondback radials. If you're going to have the car judged, only use the bias plys for that and keep a set of radials for any driving you plan to do.

OldKarz 12-30-2011 10:15 PM

Jim

:iagree:

Nowhere Man 12-30-2011 10:23 PM

for resale go to your local tire shop and buy a good brand of 205-65-15 white line tire. unless you want to build a car to do judging then buy your self the correct bias tires.

csysman 12-31-2011 08:27 AM

If you plan on driving the car Diamondbacks are the way to go ...bought MichelinX redline for mine ... one of the best investments I made couldnt be happier (or feel safer
my.02) the purist will want bias ply - nothing against that if the car is being judged more then driven

I have heard thru the forum Michelin X redlines are no longer available from Diamond

Frankie the Fink 12-31-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1579606017)
Many have had problems with out of round and hard/impossible to balance ties, myself included.

Jim

Plus dis coloring of white walls in some instances ... Permanently!

savewave 12-31-2011 08:56 AM

Jim

No kidding. :ack:

My mid-year had bias ply redline tires when I bought it in 2004. I had forgotten how poorly bias-ply tires handled and how much they squealed on curves. :eek:

Replaced them with diamondbacks after reading posts on the Forum about quality control issues with cokers. :thumbs: