CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   So why did you buy a Grand Sport? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2976241-so-why-did-you-buy-a-grand-sport.html)

JimmyLee 01-03-2012 12:36 AM

So why did you buy a Grand Sport?

So why did you buy a Grand Sport?

Corvettes were not on my radar. Then I saw a GS with those 1970's shark gills on the front section and the wide fender panels. Price reasonable compared to the upper models. Then...I had to have one!

What about you?

snakeman56 01-03-2012 12:46 AM

I have been wanting a Vette for a long time. I just went car shopping a few months ago and saw the GS, and just loved the looks of it.

Lets go back a few years back, I test drove a 2009 and just did not like how I felt cramped in the drivers seat. So I just decided to wait. When I walked in the dealership floor and saw the GS. I just knew that was the one.

I love the looks and how it handles. I have done a few simple mods and this week I am getting my calipers done by Mike the Powder Coater.

Racer 01-03-2012 12:50 AM

Um, I didn't, I bought a "non GS" vert for my wife and a ZR1 for myself, but thanks for asking. :thumbs:

Having said that, I would love to buy my wife a GS vert for her next Vette and she loves them too, so who knows. :thumbs:

AviBen 01-03-2012 01:04 AM

I went in thinking I wanted a base coupe. When we started to discuss the options I wanted, it quickly became obvious that the GS was the way to go -- plus they had one in stock (among quite a few to choose from) that seduced me.

Don-Vette 01-03-2012 06:12 AM

Looks and performance.

JLargo 01-03-2012 08:36 AM

Before I bought mine I missed my 08 and wasn't sure what I was going to do. I went to the dealer "just to look" and saw mine sitting there. The red with grey wheels, the fender stripes with the wide booty and all of the other options I would want. 3 hours later I was driving it home! Haven't looked back yet.

Brian2010 01-03-2012 08:43 AM

I a wanted a vette for years.I sold my infiniti g35 and waited a few months. I was going to get a base 2lt for about 45000.I wanted big brakes and exhaust and other stuff..I found a low mileage 6 month old jsb 6mt on the net for a good price so i jumped on it. It ahd all the goodies i would have purchased.

Nick2k14Z51 01-03-2012 09:04 AM

Always thought the base models had something missing for me. I loved the Z06 but couldn't justify/manage the cost. Once the GS hit the market, it was the best of both worlds for me. The looks of the Z06 with a price that is much more reasonable to me. Still love that Z06, and maybe someday, but until that day comes, the GS more than satisfies my needs.

v1 rot8 01-03-2012 09:18 AM

looks

looks

GSRANDY 01-03-2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nick2k11GS (Post 1579632568)
Always thought the base models had something missing for me. I loved the Z06 but couldn't justify/manage the cost. Once the GS hit the market, it was the best of both worlds for me. The looks of the Z06 with a price that is much more reasonable to me. Still love that Z06, and maybe someday, but until that day comes, the GS more than satisfies my needs.

:iagree:

Actually I initially ordered a 2010 Z06 and changed my order to a GS a week later.

I just couldn't justify the Z06's extra $16,000 for the way I drive my Corvette, i.e. mild street use only, 502 miles for all of 2011.

I really like my GS, however the Z06 would have taken me to another level.

Regards,

GSRANDY

Mike Campbell 01-03-2012 09:22 AM

Ah ha ! A loaded question. Well, I have a base coupe, because when I got mine they didn't have GS's out yet and I couldn't afford a ZO6. However, if I were buying a new Vette tomorrow I'd get the GS because I like the looks. :woohoo: But, that's also the reason I bought my 06. :yesnod:

ohmy 01-03-2012 09:49 AM

BC the way the wide-body looks...

Some will claim it's the performance, but frankly, in my daily driving real world, there is no difference in the way the whole lineup performs. Remove all the badges and cosmetic differences, and you can't tell what you're driving from the inside. Been there, done that (except for the ZR1). You never exceed even 65% of the base car's capabilities on the street (even on a rare occasion when you get blessed with an out of the tolls race on the Turnpike) :thumbs:

Raazor 01-03-2012 09:49 AM

if they would have been available when I was buying I would have gotten one based on looks more than anything else.

:yesnod:

yea-right 01-03-2012 09:54 AM

I have had a number of Porsche's and never really got into Corvettes. Driven some older vettes but just wasn't impressed. Until a buddy of mine bought one and took me for a ride. They have come a long way. Then I started looking :willy:. My wife wanted a convertible and I wanted a Z06. So when I seen a Grand Sport it was almost perfect. :thumbs:Was looking for a red one with cashmere interior, did a search and found one close but was a different color. So out of the blue one day when we were out doing something other than car shopping I asked to stop and look. She asked if I was planning this and of course I said "NO". I made the dealership an offer and I didn't think they would bite. After going back and forth playing their little game they sold the car to me, to my surprise.:rock: Now I have a beautiful car that makes her happy because the top comes off, and I have a weekend track car:yesnod:. Now just waiting on a Supercharger from ECS!:lol:

Garret 01-03-2012 09:54 AM

Because I had 55 grand I wanted to spend...LOL J/K...

Wide body and it was in AW...

funymuny 01-03-2012 09:54 AM

Combination of removable top and auto tranny AND the widebody.

Supersonic 427 01-03-2012 10:22 AM

I saw my first Grand Sport at "Corvettes at Carlisle" in August of '09. I immediately fell in love with this new model Corvette! I really liked the aggressive looks of the car with it's
Z06 wide body styling, brakes and tires. Additionaly it could be had in a Coupe or Convertible for open air driving! For me..it's the perfect combo of looks and performance!
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...teview/001.jpg
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...teview/028.jpg

redzone 01-03-2012 10:43 AM

Wife wanted a vert....the GS fit the bill.

TurbosNv8s 01-03-2012 10:52 AM

I ordered mine to race it. :hide: I'm sure that I'll do some street miles too but I have other cars for that as well. The track performance and the SCCA class the car runs in was my reason.

Supersonic 427 01-03-2012 10:55 AM

I think most who bought the Grand Sport did so because of it's styling! Let's face it looks... sell!