CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   C2 headlight assembly video (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2986429-c2-headlight-assembly-video.html)

RedDirtRodz 01-20-2012 11:02 AM

C2 headlight assembly video

Hey guys,
I am new the forum and thought I would share a new tech video I made for the '67 C2 I am building. The car is roadster with a 2001 LS1, rocker arm rear suspension, Shark Bite front suspension, rack and pinion, it has lots of cool custom goodies. The build is being featured in Auto Enthusiast magazine and RedDirtRodz.com. The Corvette has already been in Corvette Enthusiast and Corvette fever a couple of years ago. This is part 1 of the headlights project, showing the basic assembly.

Part II, which is coming soon, will show the installation process and have a cool trick feature, showing how to wire the headlights to automatically open and close with main headlight switch, no more pushing the button to the open and close, it will operate with just the headlight switch itself.

What do you guys think? Let me know.

http://reddirtrodz.com/2012/01/20/ho...te-headlights/

ratvet 01-20-2012 11:23 AM

headlight video

Excellent! Thank you...very informative for me as I probably will be doing mine this spring! 2 minor things tho, get rid of the mustang, and where is your blond bikini clad assistant? Seriously tho, PLEASE keep them coming...this is what I need to help me on my vettes...I was thinking of doing this when I re-wire my 58...but I dont know if anybody would appreciate all the swearing that will accompany the video...Any plans to do a video on re-wiring??? Thank You for this....

RedDirtRodz 01-20-2012 11:32 AM

Thanks for watching! I am glad that it will be helpful. Actually, yes, I do have plans to do a wiring video, it is already in the works. I just built a new studio for shooting these videos, so there shouldn't be too many shots with other cars in the background. Now for the assistant- I actually have two, but you wouldn't want to see either of those guys in a bikini! I shudder at the thought.

JohnZ 01-20-2012 01:30 PM

Nicely done - I'd only comment that the microswitch has nothing to do with the motor circuit; it only provides a ground for the "Lights" warning light in the instrument cluster, which illuminates when the headlights are turned on and the bucket isn't fully open. I look forward to Part II. :thumbs:

6T5RUSH 01-20-2012 01:57 PM

Very well done and informative! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Looking forward to your Part II on automatic rollover with headlight turn on.

:thumbs:

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

mike coletta 01-20-2012 02:16 PM

Nicely done - I'd only comment that the microswitch has nothing to do with the motor circuit; it only provides a ground for the "Lights" warning light in the instrument cluster, which illuminates when the headlights are turned on and the bucket isn't fully open. I look forward to Part II.
:iagree: with JohnZ. Very good video. I look forward to the next.

Mike Coletta

RedDirtRodz 01-20-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1579787946)
Nicely done - I'd only comment that the microswitch has nothing to do with the motor circuit; it only provides a ground for the "Lights" warning light in the instrument cluster, which illuminates when the headlights are turned on and the bucket isn't fully open. I look forward to Part II. :thumbs:

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate your info on the microswitch, I was told that it worked like a limiter, your description makes sense, as the swith only works one way (not in the closed position). I will be using the switch to kill power to the motor in the open and closed positions.

I am glad these videos will be helpful, this was the single most-warned about processes of the build, everybody told me these would be a nightmare and the factory service manual exploded view was all I could find on it.

66jack 01-20-2012 03:01 PM

Needs to be put up in the STICKY SECTION :thumbs:

splidecision63 01-20-2012 10:12 PM

NICE, Thanks, looking forward to Part 2.

vt65 01-20-2012 11:45 PM

excellent video, thanks for making it, mine have never been out to relubricate them, so I was dreading doing them but now not so much. Looking forward to the #2 in the series ... :thumbs:

alexandervdr 01-21-2012 04:43 AM

I wouldn't mind you made this type of video on every aspect of C2 rebuilding ;-)
great job:thumbs:

garth64 01-21-2012 11:40 AM

Great vid! I'd check the switch rating before you ust it in the motor circuit.

JohnZ 01-21-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by garth64 (Post 1579795321)
Great vid! I'd check the switch rating before you ust it in the motor circuit.

Correct - it'll need a relay; the motors can draw a LOT of current, which is why they have a 30-amp circuit breaker. :thumbs:

63Corvette 01-21-2012 01:42 PM

Good video. Thanks for posting:thumbs:

RedDirtRodz 01-22-2012 10:47 AM

The switches will just be part of the trigger circuit for a relay series. This will be something anyone can do with a few Bosch relays and some wire.

The wiring will be done in a couple of weeks, I have some projects in front of this one. Part 2 is about 3 weeks away. I will have another video "Installing Autometer Gauges in a C2 Cluster" soon.

Islander21 01-22-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by RedDirtRodz (Post 1579802878)
The switches will just be part of the trigger circuit for a relay series. This will be something anyone can do with a few Bosch relays and some wire.

The wiring will be done in a couple of weeks, I have some projects in front of this one. Part 2 is about 3 weeks away. I will have another video "Installing Autometer Gauges in a C2 Cluster" soon.

Awesome. :lurk:

StingU2 01-22-2012 02:09 PM

Nicely done on a well needed video... thanks for posting. :thumbs:

slyvet63 01-23-2012 10:02 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
A very informative video. Now that's why I joined the forum.
Thanks.

MasterDave 01-23-2012 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 66jack (Post 1579788748)
Needs to be put up in the STICKY SECTION :thumbs:

Done! Thanks :thumbs:

funit1 01-24-2012 09:32 PM

Very nice video. Looking forward to part 2.