CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Coated X-pipe? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2997553-coated-x-pipe.html)

MTPZ06 02-08-2012 01:38 AM

Coated X-pipe?

Anyone ever try to ceramic coat their factory h-pipe or aftermarket x-pipe (non-catted) to reduce cabin/conole temps? Couldn't seem to find anything on this, and I know there's a lot of complaints about thicker tunnel plates hitting the couplers at the x-pipe/cat connection. Saw a couple comments about header wrap being used, but I'd prefer to coat it I think. :bigears

u1arunit 02-08-2012 11:01 AM

I asked this question before I bought an insulated tunnel plate and the consensus was that the amount of help would be very minimal. I have since then also insulated under the carpeting which I feel helped a little as well. It's the cumulative effort of all of these things that makes a difference even if ever so small.

diverdan 02-08-2012 01:04 PM

You'll end up with the same problem that you have with an insulated tunnel plate (which I have): Run the engine long enough, and you'll get heat soak through the insulated pipes and end up with a hot center console.

If I make a few short trips around town, the console stays cool with my insulated tunnel plate and additional insulation under the console. If I take a long drive (hour+) the console will still heat up. I think it heats up somewhat less than if I didn't do anything, but I don't have hard figures to back that up.

SSMOKE 02-08-2012 10:01 PM

I bought my Kooks 1 7/8" headers and x-pipe from Maryland Speed. They recommended that I did not coat the headers due to fitment issues. Strengely the guy I asked at Kooks did not have an opinion either way and JetHot thought that it was a good idea. (More money for them.)

I got headers and x-pipe coated and while I have not take any temperatures, less gum has melted in my center console since. It seems significantly cooler and I think that it makes a positive difference. On the other hand, the install was tough. That little 1/16" or mayber 1/32" of added thickness from the coating does make a difference and the install was not easy.

diverdan makes a valid point too. If you drive the car long enough and hard enough I am sure that it will eventuially heat up.

In the end, I am glad that I did it. :cheers: I think that JetHot should leave the tip of all the male ends without coating.

WhiteDiamond 02-09-2012 12:23 AM

If you are eliminating the cats, then this will help some. If you are using cats of any type, the coating will not help you, as the cats will be the transfer point.

MarylandSpeed 02-09-2012 03:02 AM

We stopped recommending you coat the X-pipe because it makes the tolerances in the slip fits so tight that it is really hard to get togethor. We had several customers try and return them because they were having trouble, and did not want to void the coating warranty by grinding on it.

MTPZ06 02-09-2012 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed (Post 1579963750)
We stopped recommending you coat the X-pipe because it makes the tolerances in the slip fits so tight that it is really hard to get togethor. We had several customers try and return them because they were having trouble, and did not want to void the coating warranty by grinding on it.

The ID of the slip fit end can be masked during the coating process, yes?

MarylandSpeed 02-11-2012 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 (Post 1579971332)
The ID of the slip fit end can be masked during the coating process, yes?

You can...but generally you want the whole part coated for it to be more durable. There is really no advantage to coating the X-pipe except your wallet is $150 lighter.