CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   1968 Door alignment wedges (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2998437-1968-door-alignment-wedges.html)

tpoulson 02-09-2012 01:13 PM

1968 Door alignment wedges

I'm stuck. The last owner has confused me with placement of the door alignment wedges. Does the plastic piece go on the door jam or door?

Rally68 02-09-2012 01:18 PM

On my car the plastic was on the jamb...FWIW

tpoulson 02-09-2012 01:22 PM

Thank you. No one seems to know and the assembly manual is not clear. I think yours is correct. When I got my car, one side had it one way and the other was reversed. Had the wrong plastic wedges too.

marshal135 02-09-2012 09:05 PM

I have a 68 and they were undisturbed when i purchased it.
Plastic on the body side wedge gets thicker going towards the interior.
The brass on the door frame thicker side facing the outer door skin.
Mine have no shims but they were avail 2 per side.
Marshal

tpoulson 02-10-2012 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Marshall, that's what I suspected. Now the question is what does the plastice wedge look like. The one I have is different then the ones the parts dealer sent. As soon as I get a chance I'll take pictures and attach to this forum as soon as I can figure the attachment system here. Thanks for you input.

Marshall, additionally, what side is the brass wedge on? Door jamb or door?

Here is a picture of what I think is my original plastic wedge on the left and a new one I purchased from TrimParts on the right. My wedge seems to be the "correct" one because it will fit the shims and TrimParts wedges' hole pattern is to small to fit.

loup68 02-10-2012 07:18 PM

68 Alignment wedges.

The left , square sided, plastic wedge is correct on my coupe. Trim parts claims the rounded one is for a convertible. I don't know about that, having a coupe. Can someone let us know about the convertible wedges. The rounded one my be for the convertible top?

loup68 02-10-2012 07:21 PM

The brass wedge goes on the door. Plastic on the lock pillar.

marshal135 02-10-2012 09:16 PM

So far all right answers.
I think the new wedges are a one size fits all coupes if you had them
and most certainly a convert because they had no pillar support above the door frame.
If you put the new plastic pieces on the frame side and have the brass side on thee door frame and the bevels face each other, I think your good to go.:thumbs:
Just close the door slowly and try for fit before closing normally.
This way the door doesn't get stuck:ack:
I do not know why they put them on coupes but my June '68 has them.
Just reuse existing holes in door and frame.
I guess the thought in th day was to prevent door sag like we saw with the 70's Monte Carlo's.
Put em on and snap a pic and we will confirm
Marshal

tpoulson 02-11-2012 11:54 AM

The problem is that the new wedges have a different hole pattern and don't fit the shim or the current drilled holes.

Easy Mike 02-11-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by loup68 (Post 1579978819)
...The left , square sided, plastic wedge is corect on my coupe. Trim parts claims the rounded one is for a convertible...

Trim Parts may be incorrect. AIM shows the same set up for coupes and convertibles.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...rwedges001.jpg

Callout #2 on the jambs; a left and right because of the slope. Callouts #3 and #4 on each door, no left or right.

:thumbs:

tpoulson 02-12-2012 12:01 AM

I'm fairly certain that somewhere over the last 20 years the correct wedge was dropped from TrimParts production lineup. Chris at Trim Parts indicated he has been with TP for at least that long and doesn't remember what I'm talking about and that what they are selling is the correct wedge. I now know with some certainty that the one I had left on my car was correct largely because of the difference in hole patterns. The TP plastic wedge works fine for the deck lid cover alignment and screw holes line up fine but not for the door jamb.
Sorry to get so picky on this stuff, but frankly after all this work and finding a car that is nearly all correct with low miles I'm trying to finish it correctly. Plus I don't want to have to drill more holes if not needed.
Anyway, my search will go on I suppose. Thanks for all the comments and if anyone has this style wedge that wants to sell it let me know.:crazy:

69Vett 02-12-2012 01:03 PM

my 69 had only 1 door with the plastic on the left,
I made a duplicate, from a scrape piece of black plastic, for the other door.
you cannot tell which is which.

loup68 02-12-2012 04:38 PM

My 68 coup's plastic wedges are almost a metallic looking grey.

69FASTFUN 02-13-2012 07:50 PM

Was 69 the same as the 68's

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/IMG_0530.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/IMG_0529.jpg

marshal135 02-14-2012 09:57 AM

No!!!
69 had the style as pictured in above photo.
The 68's were a carry over from 67.
Paragon has the correct parts for about $44.00.
Search Amozon.com sometimes they are listed through vendors for as low as $39.00
Marshal

Bruno1-5068 04-30-2015 11:03 PM

Didn't go slow so door stuck now

[QUOTE[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by marshal135 (Post 1579979718)
So far all right answers.
I think the new wedges are a one size fits all coupes if you had them
and most certainly a convert because they had no pillar support above the door frame.
If you put the new plastic pieces on the frame side and have the brass side on thee door frame and the bevels face each other, I think your good to go.:thumbs:
Just close the door slowly and try for fit before closing normally.
This way the door doesn't get stuck
I do not know why they put them on coupes but my June '68 has thiz
Just reuse existing holes in door and frame.O
I guess the thought in th day was to prevent door sag like we saw with the 70's Monte Carlo's.
Put em on and snap a pic and we will confirm
Marshal

Installed new wedges all looked good until I closed the door, now it's stuck closed and can't get it open! Any suggestions-help

20mercury 05-01-2015 01:36 AM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I did the same thing.

Originally Posted by Bruno1-5068 (Post 1589537393)
[QUOTE

Installed new wedges all looked good until I closed the door, now it's stuck closed and can't get it open! Any suggestions-help[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better I did the same thing on my 68 convertible. I thought I carefully got the wedges in the right place and then shut the door and could not open it, *@#$!!!:willy::ack: and the neighbors kids learn more new words I hope they never tell Mommy or my wife. Finally pulled on it and bumped my shoulder against the inside of the door and it popped open. Adjust the stops and all is well now. I know the feeling. Not sure this was the best way to get it open, but it worked for me. These wedges are expensive too, paid almost $50 and only needed one. Hope this might help.

ignatz 05-02-2015 11:20 PM

You could try jacking up the car and see if the frame bending helps.