CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   New PB - 10.81@128 1.44 60 foot (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3000330-new-pb-10-81-128-1-44-60-foot.html)

Joe_G 01-04-2017 11:25 AM

You might find this thread useful:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2419551-what-rpm-should-you-shift-for-max-acceleration.html

and this one:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3049605-best-mod-for-return-on-dyno-overlay-stock-headers-cam-fast-heads.html

good luck on your quest! Keep us posted how you do.

mchacker 01-04-2017 11:56 AM

Ranger I checked the website out and it looks great. I would like to know if there are any resources for launching an automatic using the manual shift. I assume its basically the same only no clutch all brake and gas. thanks in advance for any information. I plan to purchase the DVDs.

Joe_G 01-04-2017 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mchacker (Post 1593791962)
Ranger I checked the website out and it looks great. I would like to know if there are any resources for launching an automatic using the manual shift. I assume its basically the same only no clutch all brake and gas. thanks in advance for any information. I plan to purchase the DVDs.

It's tried and true that the auto tranny will shift better than you can using the paddles or the shifter. Your key is to learn how quickly to floor the car to launch but not spin and whether or not to brake torque to stall the converter or flash it from idle.

A 4000 stall converter is the magic bullet for an automatic. It gets you right into the meat of the torque curve and with the modern stalls the shift extension keeps you there and the stall is pretty good around town as it locks up under part throttle. There is really no downside.

mchacker 01-04-2017 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1593792279)
It's tried and true that the auto tranny will shift better than you can using the paddles or the shifter. Your key is to learn how quickly to floor the car to launch but not spin and whether or not to brake torque to stall the converter or flash it from idle.

A 4000 stall converter is the magic bullet for an automatic. It gets you right into the meat of the torque curve and with the modern stalls the shift extension keeps you there and the stall is pretty good around town as it locks up under part throttle. There is really no downside.

That is great information. I will get this mod underway. I would like to have the C6 ready for the spring.

furious427 02-21-2017 08:10 PM

Well Joe went to the track last week and best I could do is 12.1 at 117mph. That was my best run of 3 runs and I am in serious need of driver mod. But at least I have a 12.1 to start with and I can work on beating that time.

Joe_G 02-22-2017 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by furious465 (Post 1594146007)
Well Joe went to the track last week and best I could do is 12.1 at 117mph. That was my best run of 3 runs and I am in serious need of driver mod. But at least I have a 12.1 to start with and I can work on beating that time.

That's excellent! It's not so easy to get a manual car down the track.

Check out this site, it has tons of excellent information including clutch maintenance. It taught me a ton when i got started.

www.rangeracceleration.com

HOXXOH 02-22-2017 09:47 AM

Hi Joe. Am I correct that you moved to MO or were you just visiting (aka snowbird)?

Joe_G 02-22-2017 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by HOXXOH (Post 1594149037)
Hi Joe. Am I correct that you moved to MO or were you just visiting (aka snowbird)?

Hi Tom! Yes I moved to MO late last year. Been a nice mild winter so far to welcome me which was nice for me. Not so much for my kids who wanted snow. :rofl:

:rofl:

I can't see any further records from me as my local track is 500 above sea level so even though we get cool high pressure days in spring and fall I never see the negative DA's that you get once in a while in S. Fla or more frequently in the upper east coast.

furious427 04-19-2017 08:49 PM

Well Joe I had to share, much better but still a long way to go, if I can get that 60ft down a little more. These are my 2 best passes from the last 2 times at the track, I am running lower 11's pretty consistant now. It's funny how your expectations change, 3 months ago I would of done anything to run an 11.999 and now if I don't run an 11.5 I'm pissed and don't even want the ticket lol

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...870325c2c3.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cb25aae55d.jpg

Joe_G 04-20-2017 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by furious465 (Post 1594565999)
Well Joe I had to share, much better but still a long way to go, if I can get that 60ft down a little more. These are my 2 best passes from the last 2 times at the track, I am running lower 11's pretty consistant now. It's funny how your expectations change, 3 months ago I would of done anything to run an 11.999 and now if I don't run an 11.5 I'm pissed and don't even want the ticket lol

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...870325c2c3.jpg

Wow John what a dramatic improvement in just a short time!! You did a great job with the driver mod and you are getting great results out of your car. It's a great feeling isn't it to learn how to drive your car well. Very well done sir!!

89talon 04-20-2017 07:58 PM

What a great thread! Thanks for all the info and advice. I'm inspired to take my 05 M6 vert to the track now. I will definitely be working on my launches. I hope the ole 90k clutch hangs in their for a while. Thanks again!

RapidRick 04-20-2017 08:47 PM

Well, I concur. Great results seen furious 465, etal..

Originally Posted by 89talon (Post 1594573466)
What a great thread! Thanks for all the info and advice. I'm inspired to take my 05 M6 vert to the track now. I will definitely be working on my launches. I hope the ole 90k clutch hangs in their for a while. Thanks again!

But also in having Joe G as a great friend, and in knowing him since our Challenge Racing days at Moroso, now known as PBIR in SE. Florida, his blue Vet is 1 SIC STIK.
I can attest to 10 second passes with N/A, and on it's original 80k+ mile LS2 Clutch...
Oh Yea....No Lie!
...can't say the same for the Trans, and Diff, but with a street/cruise car capable of sub 1.50 - 60 foot times, can you blame it?
:D

:flag:

furious427 04-20-2017 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1594567795)
Wow John what a dramatic improvement in just a short time!! You did a great job with the driver mod and you are getting great results out of your car. It's a great feeling isn't it to learn how to drive your car well. Very well done sir!!

Thanks Joe, I love drag racing, nothing like the feeling of pulling up to the line man :)

Joe_G 04-20-2017 09:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words RR! Miss you buddy.

89Talon, be sure and read Ranger's recommendation on clutch fluid before you go. Otherwise your clutch may stick to the floor.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys! It's a lot of fun to learn to drive the car well and you can make some great friends at the drag strip like RR and many others I've made over the years.

89talon 04-21-2017 10:12 AM

Joe,
I changed all the fluids immediately after purchase. The dirty clutch fluid is what concerned me when I purchased the car. I saw your photo of your rear end explosion on another thread and I am worried about the strength of my housing as my car is an 05 as well. I watched all of Rangers videos and read all he had posted on his site last night. Again thank you and everyone who contributed to this thread.

Bob

Joe_G 04-21-2017 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by 89talon (Post 1594576526)
Joe,
I changed all the fluids immediately after purchase. The dirty clutch fluid is what concerned me when I purchased the car. I saw your photo of your rear end explosion on another thread and I am worried about the strength of my housing as my car is an 05 as well. I watched all of Rangers videos and read all he had posted on his site last night. Again thank you and everyone who contributed to this thread.

Bob

I got 301 hard launches out of my rear before it did that. They're not made of glass.

That said I would never go to the track with street tires as you are susceptible to wheel hop and it's wheel hop that kills the rears. Mine didn't break on launch, it broke when I shifted to second. I didn't feel wheel hop but it's possible it happened. It's also possible that 301 launches like the one in my signature at 5500 rpm is all you can get out of them!:lol:

sabersaw30 04-21-2017 06:14 PM

Joe are you still running the stock clutch master?
Awesome times!

Joe_G 04-21-2017 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by sabersaw30 (Post 1594580069)
Joe are you still running the stock clutch master?
Awesome times!

Thanks!:cheers:

Yes still the stock clutch and stock clutch master. Still going strong though I moved and haven't been back to the track in a while. 82,000 formerly Miami traffic daily driving miles on the OE clutch. :eek::thumbs:

sabersaw30 04-21-2017 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1594580083)
Thanks!:cheers:

Yes still the stock clutch and stock clutch master. Still going strong though I moved and haven't been back to the track in a while. 82,000 formerly Miami traffic daily driving miles on the OE clutch. :eek::thumbs:

Wow thats crazy!:rock: