CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   There goes driving the vette for a while... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3000340-there-goes-driving-the-vette-for-a-while.html)

wolfdogs 02-12-2012 05:15 PM

There goes driving the vette for a while...

so we been lucky as duck with 4 wings this winter so far... low and behold.. from 60 down to below 30 this weekend, with a threat.... now, just a threat mind you... of 1/2" of snow. we'll...the snow fell Sat... did even accumulate........ I was at the gym but drove the Focus when it did it. No biggie.

Well, today, we go up north to eat lunch with the mother in law in the Yukon........and the roads have enough chemicals on them they are white as a sheet, dust flying off the road with the wind and cars... enough stuff down you would have thought we got 20+" 's of snow or something... WTF??????????? was DOT needed to reduce their stock pile and pay drivers overtime?.........dahm.

Vette will stay couped up now at least till we get some hard rains and chit dries out... and they say 50's again for this week.

Almost made driving all winter long with a long break.. oh well.

:smash:

1FUNC5 02-12-2012 05:37 PM

That sucks!!!!!

Garret 02-12-2012 05:50 PM

Wha.....move to MN ! Lol

SinisterC6 02-12-2012 05:53 PM

Now you have time for any extra coat of zaino, spring will be here soon my friend.

su8pack1 02-12-2012 05:55 PM

Same way around here. The wife and I took the Vette out last week to go to breakfast, but now the roads are all white with brine. Going to need some heavy rains to wash that all away.

Snake.Oiler 02-12-2012 06:22 PM

I noticed the same thing when the wife and I went out today. Stuff is all over the roads and I thought the same thing - no Vette driving until this stuff is cleaned up.

dklowrider 02-12-2012 06:25 PM

same deal around here.:ack: the road conditions aren't necessarily caused by over application of salt, brine etc., rather by the actual weather conditions. if you have a small amount of snow cover making it slick and the material/traffic action melts it fast enough, and the air is cold and dry, the moisture will disappear leaving the residue right where it lays. more snow cover would mean it would run off as it melted, carring most of the residue off with it.
we highway workers are sensitive about our work.:lol:

DSOMC6 02-12-2012 06:26 PM

Bummer.

Just returned from a two hour canyon carve on fairly empty roads in 70* sunny weather. :cheers:

realoldguy 02-12-2012 06:34 PM

Same in NJ

We got maybe 1/2 inch of snow on Saturday. I had the Vette out this afternoon and was doing OK until I got onto Route 78 East. Couldn't believe the amount of salt on the road. Some cars ahead were tough to see because of the white dust clouds they were raising. Not really complaining about the attempts to keep the road safe but I wish I hadn't gone out today.

C3 Vette Fan 02-12-2012 06:38 PM

Over salt in the winter = pot holes in spring and summer, to be filled by the same people. Job security.

saplumr 02-12-2012 06:45 PM

No biggie for me. I'd rather drive my white Sierra Denali HD in good or bad weather. I'm down to one black vehicle after years of nothing but black. The lone black one is difficult enough....to old to fight it anymore.

C-INRED 02-12-2012 06:51 PM

Yep, happens here too wolfdogs. We seldom get snow but anytime there could be frost our road crews spray chemicals on the pavement. This only began in the last few years.

I would drive my car most of the winter but instead I keep it in the garage because that stuff is nasty! :ack:

Ah well, it keeps my mileage on insurance costs down. :lol:

Torchsport 02-12-2012 06:57 PM

Welcome to my hell. :cry

AORoads 02-12-2012 07:53 PM

prediction is for rain, mid week. my roads around me were absolutely white with salt and brine put down, couldn't even see lane markers. :ack::ack::ack:

saplumr 02-12-2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1579996995)
prediction is for rain, mid week. my roads around me were absolutely white with salt and brine put down, couldn't even see lane markers. :ack::ack::ack:

If VA is like WV the salt is stock piled because we haven't had much snow. Problem is now everytime the weather man calls for icy conditions the DOT over-reacts. It will probably be March before it clears off and that's if we get enough rain to wash it off!:ack:

MikeyTX 02-12-2012 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Torchsport (Post 1579996496)
Welcome to my hell. :cry

Oh Waahhhhhh ! :rofl:

dvilin 02-12-2012 09:00 PM

Big surprise, happens every year, go further South now that you are retired, and get some additional enjoyment out of your Zaino Rod.:yesnod:

peter pan 02-12-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by SinisterC6 (Post 1579995855)
Now you have time for any extra coat of zaino, spring will be here soon my friend.

:rofl::rofl:

MKenM 02-12-2012 09:33 PM

Covered her up after New Years then uncovered with nice weather then covered her again. Back and forth. Now snow, salt. I'll see her in the spring. Move south, not on your life. I like 4 seasons.

Torchsport 02-12-2012 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyTX (Post 1579997353)
Oh Waahhhhhh ! :rofl:

:skep:

I know!:nopity