CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Questions on which X pipe........ (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3014785-questions-on-which-x-pipe.html)

RaW Z06 03-06-2012 07:17 PM

Questions on which X pipe........

First of all, I fully understand their are really no perfomance gains to be had by installing an X pipe. My reasons are for sound quality only. I'm not a big fan of the motorboat sound at idle or the light popping sounds during deceleration....... I have been told that an X pipe will balance my exhaust note.

I currently have stock headers, cats, H pipe and Borla Quad tip Cat back exhaust.

I am looking at the Borla X-pipe, and Cora which look basically the same to me. Do they function as well as the so called "True" X-pipes made by Bassani and Magnaflow?

If you run an X pipe, or have opinions about the different X pipe's available, chime in with your opinion.

I am leaning toward the Borla X-pipe since I'm already running the Borla cat back but I thought I should find out about the others first before I make a decision.

Let me know your thoughts :cheers:

jrose7004 03-06-2012 07:37 PM

I always run the x-pipe that was manufactured to go with my catback.

1KLRTOY 03-06-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by RaW Z06 (Post 1580205538)
First of all, I fully understand their are really no perfomance gains to be had by installing an X pipe. My reasons are for sound quality only. I'm not a big fan of the motorboat sound at idle or the light popping sounds during deceleration....... I have been told that an X pipe will balance my exhaust note.

I currently have stock headers, cats, H pipe and Borla Quad tip Cat back exhaust.

I am looking at the Borla X-pipe, and Cora which look basically the same to me. Do they function as well as the so called "True" X-pipes made by Bassani and Magnaflow?

If you run an X pipe, or have opinions about the different X pipe's available, chime in with your opinion.

I am leaning toward the Borla X-pipe since I'm already running the Borla cat back but I thought I should find out about the others first before I make a decision.

Let me know your thoughts :cheers:

I have a Magnaflo X pipe with GHL cat backs on my 01, sounds sweet :thumbs:

Buggyman 03-06-2012 07:58 PM

I have a full Corsa set including X pipe and still get the pop when off throttle. I don't mind it at all but some people do. I hear it will/would be a lot worse without the X pipe.

RaW Z06 03-06-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Buggyman (Post 1580205940)
I have a full Corsa set including X pipe and still get the pop when off throttle. I don't mind it at all but some people do. I hear it will/would be a lot worse without the X pipe.

Interesting.... The Corsa and Borla are basically the same design. Maybe a few with the borla X pipe will chime in and give me their opinions.

RetiredSFC 97 03-06-2012 08:34 PM

I have the X pipe with my quad powers and I still get the pop.

But I wouldn't have an exhaust on a performance car that didn't pop. I still recall muscle cars from the sixties that popped when you changed gears and let off the throttle, I love it.

But in order to get rid of the pop, you're going to have to go to a tame exhaust. Those Borla's are going to pop. They're designed that way as are most of the more aggressive mufflers.

vafirevet 03-06-2012 08:49 PM

My Corsa with x-pipe still pops. Best exhaust system I've ever purchased. Looks and sounds great!

Coal is King 03-06-2012 09:00 PM

I bought the Borla for my GHL's and it sounds great! Can't compare to Corsas X never had one. I went from stock to the Borla x and GHL's leaps and bounds over stock. I will say that the deciding factor for me was cost and if I remember correctly I could have bought 2 Borlas for one Corsa and the fact that there is no real gain other than sound I figured why spend the extra cash!

pcbunn 03-06-2012 09:01 PM

My '01 ZO6 runs Borla Stinger exhaust with a Magnaflow cross-over. I like the sound and the full cross-over fit just fine.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...3720090926.jpg

RaW Z06 03-06-2012 09:08 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like the aggressive sound of my Borla's. :rock:

I don't have to purchase an X-pipe to be happy with my exhaust.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the change in exhaust note / quality is worth the $300 for an X pipe install.

MSG C5 03-06-2012 09:21 PM

Some more comments based on a thread I started earlier. I'm considering adding a Corsa X-pipe to match my Corsa Indy Pro exhaust when I drop my exhaust to install a thermal tunnel plate later this spring.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-worth-it.html

Silverbullet00 03-06-2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1580205702)

Or the LT headers you install. No matter, you will still have some decel pops if you decel at higher RPMS!:thumbs:

RaW Z06 03-06-2012 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1580205702)

Make's sense :flag:

Ok, so anyone out there running a Borla X-pipe with their Borla Quad tip Cat Back?