CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   C6 removable top squeak (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3015697-c6-removable-top-squeak.html)

just4dutch 03-08-2012 08:38 AM

C6 removable top squeak

Everytime it rains or I wash my '11 GS the rubber seal around the removable top squeaks ALOT for a couple days. I have tried drying it, treating the rubber with several armorall type products, tried waxing and cleaning the top that rests on the rubber... with no change. I pull the top regularly so I'm hesitant to put some lube or vaseline type products on the rubber... anyone have this same problem and found a solution?
thanks!

TJay74 03-08-2012 09:06 AM

Mine does the same thing and I have cleaned and lubed mine as well. I am going to try superlube next, but usually if I just unlock the front latches and push up then re-lock them it makes the noise stop.

Gearhead Jim 03-08-2012 09:25 AM

There is a very extensive GM bulletin about "noisy removable tops", or something similar. A search here will give a ton of threads, and the bulletin is included in one of them.

The bulletin lists Armor All as one of the products that can cause squeaking.

Many people get good results by lubing all of the rubber/plastic contact areas with Dielectric Silicone Grease, and using Superlube paste (not spray!) on the metal-to-metal parts.

If that doesn't work, then you can get the bulletin and work through it step by step. If simple lubeing like mentioned above is not enough, then it can get complicated.
Get the bulletin, do the bulletin, start enjoying the silence.

Our 2009 had five different problems that needed to be corrected, before the top got silent. Now it's been perfect for over a year/20k miles.

just4dutch 03-08-2012 02:53 PM

C6 removable top squeak

thanks! I'll find the bulletin...

CO Lightfoot 03-09-2012 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot (Post 1578836138)
I used Super Lube ($6 from Ace Hardware), some clean rags & Q-tips. Put the top on soft blankets & carpet for easy access.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/produ...-5758517dt.jpg

Be sure to read this:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...long-post.html

Hopefully the lube will fix your noisy roof. If not, the above thread has other possible solutions.

Just don't over-lube it -- too much makes a mess:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ships-fix.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...from-roof.html

Gene Boyd 06-06-2012 12:05 PM

Squeaky top

I am waiting to hear from my attorney have had it, my 2010 grand sport, into Erickson Chevey in Milan Illinois 5 times and no fix and going to sue Ericksons and Government motors.

ohmy 06-06-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gene Boyd (Post 1581002808)
I am waiting to hear from my attorney have had it, my 2010 grand sport, into Erickson Chevey in Milan Illinois 5 times and no fix and going to sue Ericksons and Government motors.

blah blah blah...

Eppieguy 06-06-2012 12:11 PM

HUH?? :willy:

TNTC4VETTE 06-06-2012 12:58 PM

:rofl:

:troll

Cavi 06-06-2012 01:10 PM

I can think of many issues with the C6 corvettes that might be valid reasons for suing GM but not a small squeak in your top. Please let's not waste the court's time, plus some poor soul will have to sit in a courtroom as a juror...Really?

twfreightman 06-06-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1580220182)
There is a very extensive GM bulletin about "noisy removable tops", or something similar. A search here will give a ton of threads, and the bulletin is included in one of them.

The bulletin lists Armor All as one of the products that can cause squeaking.

Many people get good results by lubing all of the rubber/plastic contact areas with Dielectric Silicone Grease, and using Superlube paste (not spray!) on the metal-to-metal parts.

If that doesn't work, then you can get the bulletin and work through it step by step. If simple lubeing like mentioned above is not enough, then it can get complicated.
Get the bulletin, do the bulletin, start enjoying the silence.

Our 2009 had five different problems that needed to be corrected, before the top got silent. Now it's been perfect for over a year/20k miles.

I would love to know what those 5 other problems were that got corrected.

Jimmy W1 06-06-2012 02:50 PM

Has anyone ever tried silicone spray for squeaks? I always heard it works pretty well on automotive window seals.

gordonboss 06-06-2012 04:06 PM

Good lord, lube the gaskets and metal parts with dielectic grease and it will go away. :willy:

okie08vette 06-06-2012 04:19 PM

Make it a class action suit and when you settle let me know and I will tell you where to send my check.:willy:

CO Lightfoot 06-06-2012 04:42 PM

You resurrected a 3-month thread... :willy:

With your 5th post in 5 years! :willy::willy:

Oh, never mind. :willy::willy::willy:

dvilin 06-06-2012 04:48 PM

:lolg::lolg::lolg:

Gearhead Jim 06-06-2012 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by twfreightman (Post 1581003537)
I would love to know what those 5 other problems were that got corrected.

The dealer and I did the following work:

Lubed weatherstrip with Superlube paste (silicone grease was not enough).

Applied Superlube paste to latches and pins.

Replaced one front latch.

Adjusted both front latches.

Adjusted rear latch.

Replaced both door strikes (sounded like a rattle in the top).

twfreightman 06-06-2012 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1581007599)
The dealer and I did the following work:

Lubed weatherstrip with Superlube paste (silicone grease was not enough).

Applied Superlube paste to latches and pins.

Replaced one front latch.

Adjusted both front latches.

Adjusted rear latch.

Replaced both door strikes (sounded like a rattle in the top).

Thanks.

2006c6keller 06-06-2012 10:32 PM

Works great!

Originally Posted by J Willis (Post 1581004154)
Has anyone ever tried silicone spray for squeaks? I always heard it works pretty well on automotive window seals.

It works great, it is VERY good in getting into the "cracks", especially in the indexed windows. But I have found that I have to use it at least twice to resolve some problems. I even spray it in the door latches, etc. It has been working for several years for me and I haven't replaced it. :thumbs: :cheers:

4thC4at60 06-06-2012 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by gordonboss (Post 1581004747)
Good lord, lube the gaskets and metal parts with dielectic grease and it will go away. :willy:

:iagree: