CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Another problem.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3023115-another-problem.html)

alconk 03-20-2012 01:03 AM

Another problem....

As you all know I've been working out the bugs in my 82 and now have fallen onto another problem. I've been seeing a drop or two of coolant on the garage floor and even seen a tiny puddle in the right front block concave area right below the CTS. I cleaned everything very good to see where the leak is coming from. I started the car and when she warmed up the coolant was seeping through the intake passage about a 1/2" from the CTS. I don't see a crack but there has to be one. So my question is can I mix up some JB Weld and wipe over that area?? I don't know how else you would fix that??:ack:

oldalaskaman 03-20-2012 01:29 AM

if its a crack that opens with heat and closes when cool, j.b may not work, could you possibly take a pic of the area, it may not be a crack at all and another member may have had it happen to them. and have a solution

alconk 03-20-2012 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman (Post 1580326314)
if its a crack that opens with heat and closes when cool, j.b may not work, could you possibly take a pic of the area, it may not be a crack at all and another member may have had it happen to them. and have a solution

I'd be more than happy to post a picture but not for sure how to do it?? I do have a Photobucket account though. You can't see a crack at all, it starts with a tiny dot of coolant then runs down.

oldalaskaman 03-20-2012 10:02 AM

the bottom link under the pic, you click on that and then paste it to your thread, not concerned with seeing the crack, interested in seeing the exact location, you may have something someone else has seen in that exact location. that may be easily fixable. mybey not, but its worth a try

CQRT 03-20-2012 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by alconk (Post 1580326493)
I'd be more than happy to post a picture but not for sure how to do it?? I do have a Photobucket account though.

From the Help Forum: how to post pictures:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...es-thread.html

Good luck-

alconk 03-20-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman (Post 1580327809)
the bottom link under the pic, you click on that and then paste it to your thread, not concerned with seeing the crack, interested in seeing the exact location, you may have something someone else has seen in that exact location. that may be easily fixable. mybey not, but its worth a try

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/DSCN0559.jpg Hopefully this works

alconk 03-20-2012 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by alconk (Post 1580329225)

You can barely see that crack, kind of a arch line. I tried to make a circle but am using a MAC and still can't find things. I miss my PC.

oldalaskaman 03-20-2012 12:58 PM

it looks like your sender was screwed in to tight, or that bolt was tightened out of sequence, the right option is to pull your manifold and get it welded or replace it, if thats the oe manifold a steel one from the same era would eliminate future issues, welding would run bout $30

Easy Mike 03-20-2012 01:12 PM

Check the torque on that shiny new intake manifold bolt.
:thumbs:

alconk 03-20-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1580329471)
Check the torque on that shiny new instake manifold bolt.
:thumbs:

already did. The coolant is coming from a tiny crack, first you will see a little droplet forming then it gets bigger until it runs down.

alconk 03-20-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman (Post 1580329340)
it looks like your sender was screwed in to tight, or that bolt was tightened out of sequence, the right option is to pull your manifold and get it welded or replace it, if thats the oe manifold a steel one from the same era would eliminate future issues, welding would run bout $30

You don't think JB Weld would do the trick??:D

Ironcross 03-20-2012 09:45 PM

place a can of 'block sealer' in the radiator and drive it.....by Solder Seal. Liquid Wrench, Gunk are a few other products made by them...It really works should be available at most parts houses in the chemical lane

oldalaskaman 03-20-2012 09:54 PM

:iagree: I just hesitate to suggest these in case they dont work, but 9 time out of ten they do.

jesse10886 03-20-2012 10:14 PM

they can also clog water ports and make for more damage to components then they save. you can get the manifold fixed if it is steel like previously sugested for around 30 dollars. that is your best bet other wise try the jb weld i have seen what the fix aleak xrap does to the inside of an engine,radiator, water pump it is not pretty

noonie 03-21-2012 05:30 AM

If you don't want to remove it use Blue Devil and it won't clog anything.
Other wise it can be tigged or just replaced.