CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Z06 Plays Cat and Mouse with GT-R (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3033382-z06-plays-cat-and-mouse-with-gt-r.html)

CF Editor 04-04-2012 08:00 PM

Z06 Plays Cat and Mouse with GT-R

Watch it here: Z06 Plays Cat and Mouse with GT-R

This one comes from the TX2k12 racing/car festival last month. Its a high quality vid of a z06 chasing around a GT-R, complete with telemetry, and awesome sound. Check it out.

John Shiels 04-04-2012 08:23 PM

better vid next to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ9rg...eature=related

VetteDrmr 04-04-2012 09:25 PM

One little note: This was run at MSR - Houston, not MSR - Cresson. Couldn't tell if the GTR's tires went off, or driver just overdrove some corners. In any case it's a great video!

Have a good one,
Mike

Short-Throw 04-04-2012 09:49 PM

If the GTR driver knew how to trailbrake it would have been a different story.

Neat video, thanks.

betelgeuse 04-04-2012 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Short-Throw (Post 1580471808)

Neat video, thanks.

Maybe not. At 3800 pounds the GTRs overheat the tires in just a few laps.

Greg

Corvee 04-04-2012 10:58 PM

The video was shot at Motorsports Ranch Houston. This track layout is certainly to the GTR's benefit as was shown by the distance it put on the Z06coming out of the numerous low speed turns.

The GTR obviously dropped back on the last lap - probably to cool down. I don't think I would call it a "cat and mouse game" but 141.65 is a good lap in a C6 Z06 at MSRH.

AU N EGL 04-05-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Short-Throw (Post 1580471808)

Neat video, thanks.

I agree with Mike here

The vette driver was a better driver then then GT-R driver

you could almost guess the GT-R driver was looking in his mirrors too.

PA Z06 04-05-2012 08:34 AM

Cool video, also looked like the GTR had some HP

95jersey 04-05-2012 09:14 AM

You have to admit the GTR was amazing coming out of the corners. You could tell it was just point and shoot for him. The Vette driver had a lot more work to do, and did overshot some of the corners Also, I notice several times where the Z driver lets the RPM's drop to 2700, which is clearly TOO low and should have required a downshift to stay in the power band so he could of powered out of the corners better. I didn't hear any heel/toe blipping, which makes me think a few seconds could have been gained and thus bringing the cars closer together. Also, it sounded like I heard screeching tires, which tells me he was not on Hoosiers, so add several seconds there as well. Overall good go at it!

jvp 04-05-2012 10:34 AM

My version, from a year ago at Summit Point. Modified GT-R, decent driver, let him pass me about the 3:30 mark. And then I had some fun. :)

AU N EGL 04-05-2012 11:21 AM

Nice finger taps on the steering wheel behind the red mustang early on

Great video :thumbs:

VetteDrmr 04-05-2012 11:34 AM

Traffic makes a DE fun, at least for me. I get bored when I'm on the track with no one to play with for lap after lap. I'm not going for best time or anything like that, just want to have fun and work on my lines.

Thanks for the video, that made a tedious day just a bit brighter.

Have a good one,
Mike

jvp 04-05-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by AU N EGL (Post 1580475716)
Nice finger taps on the steering wheel behind the red mustang early on

Um. My official response to that is: I'm just wiggling my fingers and toes to make sure the blood's still flowing.

Yeah.

That's the ticket. :D

Great video

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Thanks for the video, that made a tedious day just a bit brighter.

Thanks to both of you. I had a blast during that session for sure. The poor GT-R driver basically nuked his brakes as you'll note around the 11 minute mark or so. He starts pumping them early on the big straight because of fade and fluid boiling (verified with him after the session was over). Too bad, too, because he had some chops. Could have tidied up his line a bit through a few of those sections, but he definitely knew how to throw that porker around fairly well.

jas

z06801 04-05-2012 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=jvp;1580475278]My version, from a year ago at Summit Point. Modified GT-R, decent driver, let him pass me about the 3:30 mark. And then I had some fun. :)
cool video thanks for posting:thumbs:

Racingswh 04-05-2012 05:21 PM

I spent 2 DE seasons in a 2010 GTR and would be happy to tell about how it actually compares to all the rest if anyone cares? I just didn't want to get all long winded for nothing. lol!!

2 GTOs 04-05-2012 09:58 PM

Which data logger is that in the original video. I like it.

el es tu 04-06-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by John Shiels (Post 1580471002)

:cheers:

AU N EGL 04-06-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1580475890)
Too bad, too, because he had some chops. Could have tidied up his line a bit through a few of those sections, but he definitely knew how to throw that porker around fairly well.

jas

I have watched quite a few GT-R videos. to me and maybe I am wrong, but that seems to be a common mistake with GT-R drivers, their lines suck.

If they could smooth out those lines, allow the cars momentum to work FOR them, and not muscle that car in too tight in corners, That beast could fly faster.

jvp 04-06-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by AU N EGL (Post 1580483451)
but that seems to be a common mistake with GT-R drivers, their lines suck.

I wonder if it's an experience thing? It seems the latest generation of GT-R introduced a lot of people to handling and the fun of tearing up a race track. I'm wondering if what you're seeing is just beginner-to-intermediate level drivers who haven't learned the pros and cons of the car they're driving?

Perhaps they're too used to driving a much lighter vehicle around?

Interesting observation, either way. The GT-R in my vid is the first one I've come across at SPR with any sort of speed. Any of the previous ones: I've just gone by like they were in reverse.

jas

z06801 04-06-2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by AU N EGL (Post 1580483451)
I have watched quite a few GT-R videos. to me and maybe I am wrong, but that seems to be a common mistake with GT-R drivers, their lines suck.

If they could smooth out those lines, allow the cars momentum to work FOR them, and not muscle that car in too tight in corners, That beast could fly faster.

:iagree:
Experience I think is the deal. A guy who had the race shop I use at Miller do some work on his Cobb tuned GT-R ( I saw it make close to 600 at the wheels on a Dyno) Rented the west track last week for him and his friend and I got to do a couple of sessions with them, would not unwind his hands after the apex, I told him "you rented the whole track you should use it":lol: he keep doing some weird tight line, get it straight and punch it. Glad I didn't have to ride with him:lol: