CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Any update on the Grand Sport Premature tire issue? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3033457-any-update-on-the-grand-sport-premature-tire-issue.html)

thenorthwoods 04-04-2012 09:32 PM

Any update on the Grand Sport Premature tire issue?

I just had the dealer change my oil for the first time on my 2011 Grandsport. I only have 3025 miles on my car and wanted to change the oil early as it was the initial change.
To my surprise the dealer states all 4 of my tires are at the wear bars. I ran home and looked up the earlier threads I had read. I even gave them the DOC # that someone else posted. They stated they never heard of it and did not know what it was. I am waiting for a return call.
What amunition do I need to get them to replace the tires for me free of cost as others have reported?
Can a person get the Gen 2 F1 tires instead of the Gen 1 that are put on the Grandsport?
The 3000 miles were easy miles. I cannot imagine having to replace tires with every Oil change!

ptaylor_9849 04-04-2012 09:53 PM

You gotta change the alignment specs my friend. IMO that's what's eating up your tires. Tone down the toe and negative camber and the car will be less twitchy and stop eating tires. Also, I wouldn't rush out to buy the GEN 2's. I have them and don't like them. They are noisy at highway speed. Turn down the alignment and slap on a set of Nitto Invo's and you'll have a different car completely...I promise.

MKenM 04-04-2012 09:55 PM

You should have no problem with the dealer but I think Goodyear will question the alignment and going through tires so quickly. In any case the battle is between them. Don't settle for anything less than new tires. You won't get a different tire unless you can prove they won't work on your car. Don't think that will happen.

Make sure you get them to do an alignment.

JoesC5 04-04-2012 09:58 PM

3,000 miles is horrible. I have a Z06 which has the identical Supercar Gen 1 tires, but with a slightly more aggressive alignment and when I took the original tires off, at 12,500 miles, I still had 50 % tread left, except for the right front which had some wear on the inside(I knocked the toe out thanks to the Kentucky Highway dept) but still had some life left in it. I went ahead and installed new Bridgestones as I was getting ready to run at Talladega and didn't want a worn right front tire when I'm driving into a left turn at 145 MPH.

I have put ~5,500 miles on the Bridgestones(including driving at Talladega and also driving the Tail of the Dragon and still have 85% tread left. When i installed the bridgestones, I had an alignment done to reduce the amount of camber and get the toe set to zero, front and rear.

phileaglesfan 04-04-2012 10:15 PM

It is your alignment. Toe in is a tire eater. I just measured mine around Christmas at around 5k miles. All 4 tires were 6/32 across the tread (not bad wear IMO). 1500 miles I noticed the rears were down to about 4/32s only on the outboard part of the tread. Dealer checked the alignment again and rear toe in was out. Camber actually looked good.

Dealer said they will track the wear and then deal with new tires depending on when the rears do wear out. My guess is they won't do crap if it has more than 10k on it.

thenorthwoods 04-04-2012 11:25 PM

Do I press the issue with Goodyear or GM?

Do I pressure GM or Goodyear ? I would assume I pressure the dealer and blame the alignment issue and let them provide the tires. But does alignment cause the rears to wear also?
Does changing the OEM camber settings make cornering at higer speeds more difficult or dangerous?

sdurg24 04-04-2012 11:48 PM

I have posted on this subject with my 2011 GS that had GoodYear GEN II tires as OEM due to the options ordered (manual 6 with MSRC). At 15,000 miles the tires were shot but I took a chance and drove them to florida from my home in NH. It only rained once and I pulled over. Point is I got 18,000 miles on them but in reality only up to 14,000 can be considered decent and safe. After much research I decided to go with the new Michelin PS Super Sports even though they are non-runflats. Had them on just one week and they are far superior to the GY GEN II in ride comfort and noise level. Being a tread wear rating of 300 I am hopeful to get longer tread wear mileage but time will tell. It's been too cold to truly tell about grip as I haven't pushed them to the limit yet but......I am totally pleased with the Super Sports for now. Will post more on tread life and performance.

All2Easy 04-05-2012 12:21 AM

Regarding the DOC that the OP mentions, does anyone know if GM has changed the alignment spec at production since this DOC has been issued?

JoesC5 04-05-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by thenorthwoods (Post 1580472732)
Do I pressure GM or Goodyear ? I would assume I pressure the dealer and blame the alignment issue and let them provide the tires. But does alignment cause the rears to wear also?
Does changing the OEM camber settings make cornering at higer speeds more difficult or dangerous?

I'm running -.9 camber in the front and -.6 camber in the rear in my Z06 and it has excellent high speed cornering. I've run 145 MPH through the 33 degree high banked turns at Talladega with this alignment. Low speed cornering is also great. I've driven the Tail of the Dragon with those settings and I was pushing it pretty hard.

z51vett 04-05-2012 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by All2Easy (Post 1580473092)
Regarding the DOC that the OP mentions, does anyone know if GM has changed the alignment spec at production since this DOC has been issued?

Where can I see this DOC you speak of.
z51vett:hide:

oldgoat99 04-05-2012 10:28 AM

Here...

oldgoat99 04-05-2012 10:32 AM

Oh, and here...

Stan0324 04-05-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by oldgoat99 (Post 1580475207)

Is there a Gm doc ??

Don-Vette 04-05-2012 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by thenorthwoods (Post 1580471635)
I just had the dealer change my oil for the first time on my 2011 Grandsport. I only have 3025 miles on my car and wanted to change the oil early as it was the initial change.
To my surprise the dealer states all 4 of my tires are at the wear bars. I ran home and looked up the earlier threads I had read. I even gave them the DOC # that someone else posted. They stated they never heard of it and did not know what it was. I am waiting for a return call.
What amunition do I need to get them to replace the tires for me free of cost as others have reported?
Can a person get the Gen 2 F1 tires instead of the Gen 1 that are put on the Grandsport?
The 3000 miles were easy miles. I cannot imagine having to replace tires with every Oil change!

At 8000 miles with all 4 tires worn down on the inside. I went to the dealer and told them I think the alignment is out because of the tire wear.When they checked it they found it was out of factory spec.,they put 4 brand new tires on for me no questions asked.And I didn't even buy the car from them.

cutnout 04-05-2012 04:35 PM

Our 2010 GS convertible has a little over 11k and the tires look good. I dont drive it hard so i dont know if speed contributes to early wear or maybe the dealer aligned the front end before i took delivery. cutnout aka Charlie

thenorthwoods 04-11-2012 06:09 PM

Dealer gave me 4 new tires free !

A local Chevy dealer (not the one I bought the car from) is giving me 4 new tires and a free alignment. Apparently GM is familiar with the complaints from Grand Sport owners and is willing to help us out.
I have only 3000 miles and all 4 tires are to the wear bars. I hope to get many more from the new Gen 1 F1 tires. If not then I will consider non-runflats next time.
Even with the new tires it looks like it may be new tires every 7500 miles with each oil change. It does not help that the new Goodyear Gen 1 F1 tires have such a shallow tread depth.

Kwagnerhvac 04-11-2012 08:47 PM

I am at 5,700 miles on my Grand Sport and the front right tire is down to the wear bars and the left one isn't too far from it. The dealer tells me that is normal wear for a Grand Sport and I shouldn't expect any more than that. After not letting the issue go, the dealer agreed to do an alignment for free and put the tires into "factory" specs. He assured me that it wasn't out enough to effect tire wear. I still fussed to finally they agreed to replace one of the two tires under warranty. I told him I did not want the Good years and he agreed to let me pick the tire of my choice. I had him order the Bridgestone Potenzas. They are in and ready for installation. I will be getting them installed in a couple weeks. Hope I have better luck with them.