CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Tracking my Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3036719-tracking-my-corvette.html)

MDPD23 04-10-2012 01:05 PM

Tracking my Corvette

I am going to be tracking my car for the 1st time this coming weekend. It's an '08 coupe Z51. I've just put on new tires (Michelin A/S) and would like some advise. I bought these particular tires because the car is my DD and being in Philadelphia the weather can sometimes be a little interesting (even though this winter was pretty mild). My concern is that I know that the Pilot tires are better for tracking but will I have any problems or tearing up this tires on the track. The track by the way is a road course (3 miles-14 turns).
Any help or warning are appreciated:D

ROC OUT 04-10-2012 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by MDPD23 (Post 1580517975)
I am going to be tracking my car for the 1st time this coming weekend. It's an '08 coupe Z51. I've just put on new tires (Michelin A/S) and would like some advise. I bought these particular tires because the car is my DD and being in Philadelphia the weather can sometimes be a little interesting (even though this winter was pretty mild). My concern is that I know that the Pilot tires are better for tracking but will I have any problems or tearing up this tires on the track. The track by the way is a road course (3 miles-14 turns).
Any help or warning are appreciated:D

You should be fine, IMO. I tracked my car ('07 Coupe M6 with Z51) twice (13 turn road courses) with the stock Goodyear Supercar F1 tires. After a one day event and just learning to drive, the Supercars showed significant wear. But, the Supercars are predominantly tract tires with softer rubber/tread than an AS tire like your MIchelins. I suspect that what you give up in traction on the track with your Michelins you gain a longer wearing tire for the street.

Have fun and bring your Vette home in the same condition it was in when you drove it out to the track! :thumbs:

waddisme 04-10-2012 03:10 PM

Go to the AX/RR section and you will find all the info you need for your first track day. There are numerous "1st Time at the Track" threads with plenty of good advice. It is the most legal fun you can have in your car. I am off the Rd Atl this weekend for 2 days of pure adrenaline.

TNTC4VETTE 04-10-2012 03:24 PM

Not a comprehensive long-track list, but a good start.

Change brake fluid to GOOD DOT4 like Motul or ATE super blue with a high boiling point.

Change oil. I add 1/2 a quart of oil to help prevent starvation. No empirical data, just something I do.

Check your suspension and ensure end links, bushings, and shocks are in good shape.

SA2005 or newer Helmet, good fitting shoes with a small footprint, and gloves (let someone kid you about using gloves...the first time your hand slips mid turn, you'll never NOT use them. Keep your seatbelt tight. With our stock seats, you are going to divot your driver side speaker grille when you start pushing it.

Good non-ceramic pads. Carbotech XP8 are fantastic for starting out.

Bring a tire gauge. Pressures are important.

LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR, WATCH YOUR MIRRORS, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD.

Have fun!

sallen619 04-10-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE (Post 1580519409)
Change oil. I add 1/2 a quart of oil to help prevent starvation. No empirical data, just something I do.

The operator's manual supports this by saying keep the oil level at or near 1 quart above the top line for racing events.

MDPD23 04-10-2012 04:25 PM

Thanks Guys!! Really appreciate all the pointers and especially the encouragement of having fun. I'll let you all know how it goes:thumbs:

sallen619 04-10-2012 05:02 PM

:thumbs:

Originally Posted by MDPD23 (Post 1580520023)
Thanks Guys!! Really appreciate all the pointers and especially the encouragement of having fun. I'll let you all know how it goes:thumbs:

5/5/12 will be my 1st track day also... good luck:thumbs:

TNTC4VETTE 04-10-2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by sallen619 (Post 1580519820)
The operator's manual supports this by saying keep the oil level at or near 1 quart above the top line for racing events.

Originally Posted by MDPD23 (Post 1580520023)

Originally Posted by sallen619 (Post 1580520382)
:thumbs:

5/5/12 will be my 1st track day also... good luck:thumbs:

Prepare to be hooked. There is nothing more fun to do with a car than what you're about to do. If you think owning a Vette brings a SEG, wait till you drive it on a track.

:woohoo::rock::D

sallen619 05-14-2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE (Post 1580520853)
Prepare to be hooked. There is nothing more fun to do with a car than what you're about to do. If you think owning a Vette brings a SEG, wait till you drive it on a track.

:woohoo::rock::D

Ok...I'm hooked!!! LOL