CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Supercharging 2005 C6 Z51 Magnuson MP112 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/3038014-supercharging-2005-c6-z51-magnuson-mp112.html)

Danspeed1 04-12-2012 01:12 PM

Supercharging 2005 C6 Z51 Magnuson MP112

I am finally going to get to join the supercharged section of this forum. After a couple of years of looking I was finally able to find a Magnuson MP112 supercharger for my 2005 Z51 6 speed Vette for a reasonable price. While I know may of you are running centrifugal supercharges and turbos, I arrived at a traditional blower for a few reasons; simplicity, instant torque, the sound it makes at WOT, and the daily driveability it offers. My car at this time is completely bone stock other than a magnaflow cat-back and Vararam Snake Charmer. I am debating doing headers this year in addition depending on how much more $$ I have to put into this before it is installed "properly." My goal is to crack 500whp. Don't know if this is possible or not without any supporting modifications. Before I begin my installation I have a few questions on changes I may want to make to my setup and parts that I should consider installing. Also, I would like to make mention that I will be having ECS do all the tuning work as they did my fathers procharged c5 and it came out great.

Currently the setup has a 2.8 Pulley on it which supposedly yields between 9-10 lbs of boost. Is this too much for a stock LS2 without Headers?

Should I upgrade my Tensioner to the stronger ECS version or is it unnecessary?

My supercharger cooler looks like it has been repaired, where can I find a replacement? Any upgrades?

What other upgrades should I consider before installing this setup?

DG502

Streetk14 04-12-2012 09:14 PM

I think you'll need some help to hit 500 whp with a MP112, at least from my experience with those older blowers. On my last project car ('67 Camaro RS w/ LS1 conversion), I made right around 500 rwhp on a head/cam LS1 with headers and 10-11 psi. That was with the bigger MP122 blower, too. Did a little over 540 rwhp with meth.

On an LS2 with headers, I think you'll be close. If you are going to run that kind of boost, I'd recommend using meth. The IAT's get really high when you crank those things up.

I'd also look at having Magnuson either swap the rear pulleys on the blower or switch them to 1:1. From what I remember, the MP112 blowers come with underdriven rear pulleys. This means you will likely need a really small front pulley to get where you want it to be. Changing the rear pulleys lets you run a larger front pulley for better belt grip at a given boost level.

For what it's worth, I think I had a 2.7" or 2.8" front pulley with 1:1 rear pulleys on that MP122 making 10-11 psi. I'd expect a MP112 with underdriven rear pulleys to make less.

txvettefan 04-12-2012 09:27 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the SC Club

shootincyclone 04-13-2012 12:58 AM

I recently put a MP122 on my 2008. At 6 PSI I got a little over 500RWHP and 460+ ft lb. This is an LS3 with melrose headers, high flow cats, Borla Stingers, and so on.

Tomorrow I drop her off to do a pulley upgrade and turn the boost up to 11-12 PSI..:woohoo::woohoo:

You will read that people have put 13, 14 PSI through their stock bottom end and still drive it like they stole it without any problems. Some say they are on borrowed time, but each motor is different. My corvette guy tells me not to worry a bit at the boost levels I am going to with this pulley.

In my opinion you aren't going to see 500rwhp unless you crank up the boost and decide to do headers.

I started modding my car 1 year ago. It was fun to add exhaust and CAI, feel the slight power difference....then headers, another slight power increase.....then the Maggie @ 6psi:rock:.....and tomorrow cranking the boost up:woohoo:

talon77 04-14-2012 11:25 PM

Hey Dan,

I don't think you'll have a problem hitting the 500hp mark in that especially a stick car. I would recommend a good set of headers for the car and a CAI for the supercharger. The heat exchanger never leaked or caused any problems on my c6, I never had an issue one with it. That supercharger on a stock ls2 made 523hp when Marko had my car. On the forged motor build (lower compression pistons and cam, and stahl) it made 517hp so I doubt you'll have problems hitting that 500hp goal. It won't make alot more then that....but 500 shouldn't be a problem. :) Good luck and let me know if there's anything I can do to help Dan.

Thanks,

Billy

Danspeed1 04-19-2012 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by talon77 (Post 1580558682)
Hey Dan,

I don't think you'll have a problem hitting the 500hp mark in that especially a stick car. I would recommend a good set of headers for the car and a CAI for the supercharger. The heat exchanger never leaked or caused any problems on my c6, I never had an issue one with it. That supercharger on a stock ls2 made 523hp when Marko had my car. On the forged motor build (lower compression pistons and cam, and stahl) it made 517hp so I doubt you'll have problems hitting that 500hp goal. It won't make alot more then that....but 500 shouldn't be a problem. :) Good luck and let me know if there's anything I can do to help Dan.

Thanks,

Billy

Hey Billy,

Thanks for chiming in. I decided to do the headers as I think its silly to install and pay for a tune only to have to redo it again. Will save for another week or two and then pull the trigger. I am thinking of a set of kooks headers but I can't decide between 1 7/8 and 1 3/4's What do you think? I already have a Vararam Snake Charmer I am going to try and fit to the MP112

DG

ashanson 04-19-2012 02:34 AM

I had a maggie 112 on my completely stock motor CTS-V LS6 (5.7) running 9psi and it made 530whp 540tq on E85. The next owner retuned for pump gas and it made 490whp (less timing and power on pump gas). It had 1 3/4" headers, and the Cadillac has a bit more drivetrain loss than a corvette does.

I would go with the 1 7/8" headers and I think you should have no problems hitting 500whp. People say you will lose a little down low with the larger headers, but with a PD blower who cares, you'll have more than enough power down low.

my2005c6 04-19-2012 06:21 AM

Dan have you put any thought toward upgrading your differential before installing the charger?

Danspeed1 04-19-2012 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by my2005c6 (Post 1580595394)
Dan have you put any thought toward upgrading your differential before installing the charger?

Not too worried about it. It it explodes I will just upgrade to 3.90's anyway

FloydSummerOf68 04-19-2012 01:43 PM

Congrats on moving into FI :)

vettro 04-19-2012 10:50 PM

as soon as I get my new headers on the A&A goes in ...can anyone say SCREW ...:eek: then dust ...!!!

Danspeed1 04-20-2012 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by vettro (Post 1580603023)
as soon as I get my new headers on the A&A goes in ...can anyone say SCREW ...:eek: then dust ...!!!

My project would have been on the road a lot sooner, but I lost a good deal on a set of headers.......:leaving:

Danspeed1 04-20-2012 01:51 AM

I am getting a little out of control with this... very excited though. Tossing over the possibility of a blower cam.... watch how quickly this gets way too expensive.

vettro 04-20-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Danspeed1 (Post 1580604000)
My project would have been on the road a lot sooner, but I lost a good deal on a set of headers.......:leaving:

Well Sir, it wasn't losing out as much as it was not being first - you just didn't get there in time, when someone says I'll take them ahead of you that's the way it works ... :thumbs:

Danspeed1 04-21-2012 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by vettro (Post 1580604500)
Well Sir, it wasn't losing out as much as it was not being first - you just didn't get there in time, when someone says I'll take them ahead of you that's the way it works ... :thumbs:

True,

Although I am disappointed I will give you credit for doing the honorable thing and following forum curtsy. I would have been pissed had I been first and they were sold to someone who jumped the line behind me. I am just glad I was able to finally find this supercharger... headers come around all the time.

DG

old motorhead 04-21-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Danspeed1 (Post 1580604006)
I am getting a little out of control with this... very excited though. Tossing over the possibility of a blower cam.... watch how quickly this gets way too expensive.

Find you an LS7 cam. Should work very well with your setup. You can use your stock springs too. Great budget cam that still sells for cheap. Better for your app than the LS9 cam.

If you add a big lopey cam, you'll be inviting rotor knock. Never heard of an MP112 or MP122 actually being damaged from the knock. Not even sure if it's the rotors making the noise or the drive doing it. It just sounds like sh!t.

Your car should be a blast to drive. It will feel 500lbs lighter. Enjoy and be safe:cheers:

Danspeed1 04-21-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by old motorhead (Post 1580613197)
Find you an LS7 cam. Should work very well with your setup. You can use your stock springs too. Great budget cam that still sells for cheap. Better for your app than the LS9 cam.

If you add a big lopey cam, you'll be inviting rotor knock. Never heard of an MP112 or MP122 actually being damaged from the knock. Not even sure if it's the rotors making the noise or the drive doing it. It just sounds like sh!t.

Your car should be a blast to drive. It will feel 500lbs lighter. Enjoy and be safe:cheers:

That's one of my main concerns: Rotor knock... I wont be able to stand that noise, however I want to leave room for for a 122 or a TVS in the future. That's why i am looking for suggestions. Something that will compliment my MP112 but not cause rotor knock and make it miserable to drive.

DG

robertaj 04-21-2012 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Danspeed1 (Post 1580604006)

Personally I had this struggle... but decided I would go the Meth route instead. I think thats a WAY better bang for the buck for both power and safety-wise.

You will run safer.... as well as more power. Cam cars (for me at least) just don't do it.... think about that as an option in replacement of the blower cam. I bet you can even squeeze more HP out of the meth over the cam.

EVILLS2 04-23-2012 11:13 PM

I was making 510 with a good tune and the mp112 with a 3.0 pulley, ported tb, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, off road x pipe and b&b bullets. Right around 8lbs of boost. Iat's were pretty high though on a hot summer day. I loved the 112 though. Very good blower, you will be pleased

Danspeed1 04-25-2012 06:15 PM

Here is an update for where I stand on this.

Spoke with Chris from East Coast Supercharging today. He recommended their small blower cam and a set of springs, an ECS Tensioner for the belt and a few other incidental items. In addition he suggested I go up from a 2.8 to a 3.1 pulley on the supercharger, install an Overdrive pulley on the crank, and run meth. All three of these things I really am not interested in doing. I am not interested in running meth for a few reasons. If I wanted something to refill I would run Nitrous. In addition I have seen the pictures online of the coating removed from the blower rotors as a result of meth and water. That will eventually decrease efficiency and will surely cause problems. Magnuson recommend you not use meth as well. I have had this car 4 years and it has 40K miles.. I plan to have it for another 140K miles... so I don't want to do anything that is going to shorten the life of any of the parts. I UNDERSTAND THE BLOWER PUTS ADDITIONAL STRESS ON THE MOTOR. I am just not looking to wear the blower itself out using meth. In addition this makes the project that much more costly that much quicker.

What I would like to do is run the 2.8 pulley I already have, with the blower cam and the new springs, upgrade the tensioner, add Kooks 1 7/8 headers, and have it tuned. No overdrive pulley, no meth.

Any thoughts on this setup or the longevity. I believe the previous owner was running just this setup without the cam and made over 500HP without any issues? Also does anyone have a ball park as to how much boost I will actually be running after all the flow upgrades are all done (cam,headers)?

DG