CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Number 3 body mount? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3049589-number-3-body-mount.html)

hicswa 04-30-2012 09:46 PM

Number 3 body mount?

Is there any trick or special tools to remove it?

Thanks,
Danny

champs65 04-30-2012 09:57 PM

Not really. Just hope that the cage nut doesn't start to spin on you.

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?

hicswa 04-30-2012 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by champs65 (Post 1580694999)

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?

Thanks. Do you think a burr on a die grinder will fit in there if the bolt needs to be cut?

I'm Batman 04-30-2012 10:30 PM

If something goes wrong with the cage nut, you can get to it from the inside of the frame if you get the car up in the air.

champs65 04-30-2012 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by hicswa (Post 1580695209)
Thanks. Do you think a burr on a die grinder will fit in there if the bolt needs to be cut?

I have a small die grinder and it wouldn't work there. Dremel on steroids would work if you could keep a cutoff wheel from disintegrating.

my 76 ray 05-01-2012 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by champs65 (Post 1580694999)

Air ratchet is how I did mine. It worked great. I'll add one tip. If it starts to slow down, it's probably due to rust in the threads. Run the bolt back in to clear the threads then try to loosen it again. That tip actually works even if you're using a manual ratchet. It will keep a bolt from seizing.

themetalman03886 05-01-2012 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by my 76 ray (Post 1580696475)
Air ratchet is how I did mine. It worked great. I'll add one tip. If it starts to slow down, it's probably due to rust in the threads. Run the bolt back in to clear the threads then try to loosen it again. That tip actually works even if you're using a manual ratchet. It will keep a bolt from seizing.

This is exactly what I did as well, my 3/8 air ratchet worked perfect, obviously the 1/4 air ratchet was a bit weak to do the job.