CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/305680-zip-vacuum-hose-kit.html)

andyg 05-22-2002 01:11 AM

ZIP vacuum hose kit..

This nasty hose replacement issue started when I found both of my relay valves are leaking from the bottom and causing a severe idle issue. A vacuum pump confirmed my suspicion. I couldn't get either relay past the zero mark on the vacuum guage. I also decided to replace the hoses since most of them are as hard as a rock.

I am kind of disappointed in the kit from Zip. This is the first item I bought in the last year of ordering from Zip that just did not work for me. The hose diamaters are much larger than the original and the T fitting must be forced into the hose. Way too much effort. I gave up and am going with Dr. Rebuild. Search of the archives shows others had the same problem. Oh well, it's only money......

---Andy

[Modified by andyg, 11:12 PM 5/21/2002]

PRNDL 05-22-2002 01:27 AM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (andyg)

When fitting rubber hoses onto anything, be it plastic, or metal, I lube it with a little Dawn (liquid dishwashing detergent) and it slides right on. :) Sliding right off usually not a problem. MJ

andyg 05-22-2002 01:48 AM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (MNJack)

These t-fittings were not the correct size for the hose. The new hoses had an ID of 3/8". the new T's had a starting OD of 5/8". No matter how much lube, it will never fit. Here are a few pics:

New hose on left and old on right. I even cut a few inches back on the old hose so you can see the original ID from the factory

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~and...hose_small.jpg

New hose and new T fitting:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~and...ew_t_small.jpg

--Andy

[Modified by andyg, 11:49 PM 5/21/2002]

99 Torch Coupe 05-22-2002 09:05 AM

I just put the kit on from Dr. Rebuild and it worked flawlessly. Lately everything I buy from Zip sucks.

Koz 05-22-2002 09:43 AM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (99 Torch Coupe)

What's a kit cost and is it worth it over buying rolled hose by the foot?

andyg 05-22-2002 03:36 PM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (Koz)

I paid $55 for the kit. I could have bought the rolled hose, but I am trying to keep the car original, so I wanted the color on the hose.

--Andy

Chuck Gongloff 05-22-2002 03:45 PM

The thin wall tubing is original, and Dr. Rebuild has it. Top quality stuff. Correct color hoses, etc., and it fits :) Chuck

WTaylor 05-22-2002 04:35 PM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (Chuck Gongloff)

I'd like to take the time to apologize for the problems with that order; we generally don't have that problem with that kit and have been selling these for years. We have one of these on our '71 in the showroom, with no problems.

My sales manager, Andy Young, wanted me to post an e-mail he sent (in case you haven't seen it of yet):

Mr. Garabedian,

Thank you for your email. We will issue you a refund for the hose kit. We are checking in to this problem, since there are three different size hoses in the kit, possibly the wrong hoses were pulled for the kit.

Just keep the hoses that you have received. We appreciate all of your past business.

Zip Corvette

Once again I'd like to take the opportunity to apologize for this inconvenience. I hope we have taken the steps to correct this situation, and that we may be of service in the future.

-West, Zip Products Sales Representative-

Fevre 05-22-2002 05:12 PM

Just want to say that I bought a kit about 3 years ago from ZIP and everything was there and fit just like it was supposed to. I am very happy with to this day. Looks like ZIP is trying to make ammends so I hope it works out for you.

Juliet 05-22-2002 10:11 PM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (WTaylor)

Now that's what I call service. :D I was just about to suggest you call Zip and ask about it (the one or two times I've had issues, they resolved them very quickly). Zip's customer service is #1 in my book. :cool:

joeveto 05-22-2002 10:36 PM

I used Zip for some actuator rebuilds, and was very pleased with the service I received. Everything went smooth. I can't say this about a couple of other suppliers, who shall remain nameless.

I also just recently had a great experience with Vette Brakes & Products.

It's all about customer service, isn't it?

andyg 05-22-2002 10:37 PM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (Juliet)

I actually wrote Andy last night letting him know the problem and pointing him to this thread if he wanted to see pictures of the issue. I also let him know I was not looking for a refund since I had already used some of the hoses. I had realized the problem after using about 10 hoses. I knew from the start the hose size OD was different than the original, but they were fitting on components. The real problem was when I hit the T-fittings. I just gave up at that point.

As I said I had already used the product, so I felt it would be unethical to return a used product and try to get a refund, but I appreciate Andy's willingness to keep his customers happy. Thanks again Zip...

---Andy

[Modified by andyg, 10:09 PM 5/28/2002]

Brass 05-24-2002 05:07 PM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (joeveto)

Yup. Vette Brakes are top notch.

05-29-2002 08:47 AM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (Doc Rebuild)

Hey Doc good to see you on the forum. How is retirement? Chuck

Nomad78SA 05-29-2002 10:34 PM

Doc Rebuild is the way to go for 1st class vacuum hose kits. In my frame off or body off restoration/Modiification, a majority of the items I have purchased has come from him. I always was able to find those hard to find items in his catalog. Now if I could just get all that stuff installed I would be happy.
Neil in Tenn

Troy Roberts 05-30-2002 03:36 PM

This thread has been edited to remove the links to non-supporting vendor sites. Please do not break the forum registration agreement and post links to non-supporting vendor sites. This is potential cause for removal of posting rights.

Please notify forumsupport@corvetteforum.com if you see any links to non-supporting vendor sites. We don't catch all of them by a long shot. We take the appropraite action when we do.

Doc Rebuild 05-30-2002 05:29 PM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (chucks)

Chuck,

Retirement is great. I am have more fun. Cooking, gardening, spending more money and buying more Vettes than I ever have. Ran out of garage space and have to add more stalls in the barn. Best of all I get to cybernate with everyone in cyberspace. I have learned so much.

Geoffrey Coenen

Mike69@ECS 05-30-2002 05:43 PM

I have learned so much.

Geoffrey Coenen
As have we.... :rolleyes:
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/CorvetteForamen.html

[Modified by Mike69, 5:00 PM 5/30/2002]

Koz 05-30-2002 05:54 PM

Hey Doc,
Must be nice to have the time and the PARTS to fix up these cars! :cheers:

Where are you in Bridgeport? I use to live by Sacret Heart University!

Doc Rebuild 05-30-2002 07:40 PM

Re: ZIP vacuum hose kit.. (Koz)

Koz,

I honestly seldom go to Bridgeport anymore ever. Haven't been there 9 times in last 9 months. Last September I retired. I have a small estate in the woods behind Oronoque where I can putter around, have fun and even drive my old cars without leaving my woods.

However, you will see me at the cruises usually in a nice old original Vette. Last night I was at the Heavenly Donut Rt. 34. Usually that location is only on Sunday nights, now its twice a week. Also Rt. 1 at the Post Rd in Milford, also the other Milford location nearer the beach. Then the Rt. 25 Dairy Queen on Fridays and biggest of all right up by you on Saturday nights - Marcus Dairy near the Danbury mall.

If you have never been there they get from 30-75 Vettes and a few hundred other cars on a good night. I have been sideways leaving there right through second gear several times on a hot summer night. The attendance is bigger than most of the Corvette club events in this area. I can honestly say that I have attended more Corvette club events and shows than I can count.

My current favorite is my triple black 69 427. It looks exactly like the one at the top of this page, but its better. I bought it from a Florida customer and paid way too much, but it had every option I had been searching for and only required gas. It also had a quite few more options than I expected to find in just one 1969. It only lacks the factory alarm and rear defogger. I hunt for a specific car and then try to locate that combination of features. I hunted for quite a while for that exact car. It attracts crowds and even has a lot of my own creations on it, placed there by the former owner. It is now my favorite driver.

Please do not think I am not bragging but after decades of driving Vettes I have gotten to know so many other people that I could not show up at a show and not run into old friends or meet new ones. It also helps out when you need a favor, or get a speeding ticket. I have met the nicest people in real Corvettes, but I have only been a Corvette mouse humper a very short time.

Geoffrey Coenen

PS If you contact me privately I could address most any question you have and if the weather cooperates I will be at Marcus Dairy Saturday night. Gotta go start cooking dinner for my wife now before she gets home from work.