CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   horn wont blow,comon horn problem in c4? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3057182-horn-wont-blow-comon-horn-problem-in-c4.html)

redvetttes 05-13-2012 05:41 PM

horn wont blow,comon horn problem in c4?

Do i half to grab a meter and a wiring diag.
where is the horn relay? (If it has one)

John A. Marker 05-13-2012 06:08 PM

First check the main fuse. If that is okay, then check the "inline fuse" that is located behind the panel above the radio and air conditioning controls. Crazy place to have a second fuse....but it is there.

If that does not solve the problem, then check to be sure that you have good electrical contact under the center of the steering wheel. You can also run a wire directly off the battery to test the horn to see if that is working.

Good luck.

redvetttes 05-13-2012 06:12 PM

Thanks for the 2ndJapan fuse,would of look past that
time for a new stereo anyway

John A. Marker 05-13-2012 06:21 PM

I didn't know that the second fuse existed on my 85. So my horn didn't work and the cruse didn't work. The local shop I had do things for me didn't want to tackle the Corvette so they passed me on to the Chev dealer in town. It cost me $400.00 for them to change the fuse and to discover that the PO had switched to vacuum lines to the cruse control!

pkazsr 05-13-2012 08:47 PM

The C4 horns are so wimpy I am embarrassed to use them. I read somewhere that Cadillac horns are a direct replacement.

mfi 05-13-2012 09:25 PM

Air horns:thumbs:

Sparkytfl 05-13-2012 11:04 PM

Just not those harbor freight air horns. They're so wimpy I barely heard it over my exhaust when some idiot didnt notice the light changed today. They're also so wimpy that I caught the guys at the tire shop playing around with it and laughing as I was walking back.

Late 90s cadi horns do plug right in, and are the right design, but the brackets come off pointing in different directions and are welded on so you cant aim them. I know, I got a set of three from the junkyard. Also, being the same design, I doubt they're any louder. The Klaxon brand horns in newer ones are sweet though. Loud, plastic body that doesnt rust out, and seem to be aimable.

Cliff Harris 05-14-2012 02:37 AM

When you press on the horn button you should hear the horn relay click, even if the horns themselves aren't working. If you don't hear the relay click then you'll probably have to look at the horn contacts and wiring in the steering column (assuming the fuse is OK).

Lathroum 05-14-2012 12:10 PM

my horn did not work when I got my vette...

it was a broken contact spring in the steering column...

I replaced it with the spring from a ball point pen...

still working 2 years later...

Philip

mfi 05-14-2012 03:18 PM

I never use mine anyway..

AGENT 86 05-14-2012 03:20 PM

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Horn%20Electrical.pdf

hotrodbob01 05-14-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lathroum (Post 1580808811)
my horn did not work when I got my vette...

it was a broken contact spring in the steering column...

I replaced it with the spring from a ball point pen...

still working 2 years later...

Philip

I didn't think mine was working, but when I pound it hard it does...Is that the small spring issue you are talking about?

CorvetteArchives 05-15-2012 12:33 AM

If you do need to replace your horns they are a "c" note and an "a" note OEM. :seeya

C422 06-17-2012 02:04 AM

Actually

Originally Posted by hotrodbob01 (Post 1580812815)
I didn't think mine was working, but when I pound it hard it does...Is that the small spring issue you are talking about?

A fairly common problem that I've never really seen come up on the forums is that on the 90+, the buttons are poorly designed. To make the contact behind the button, there is a thin plastic rod that pushes the contacts (there are 2 contacts, 3 parts) together. After 20 or so years, these are super brittle and break. When you push harder, you're forcing the now bent/broken rod to push the contacts together.

What really sucks is that those buttons are like $80 (for the set) new. I don't think it would cost $80 to design the silly things, much less make 'em.

anciano 06-17-2012 10:44 AM

The C4 horns are so wimpy I am embarrassed to use them.
Mine would not wake up a cat sleeping on the hood.

MotorCity_87_C4 06-17-2012 12:00 PM

My horn didnt work when I purchased from PO, I found a blown fuse. After replacing the fuse I found out how the car alarm works.....

Damien89 06-17-2012 03:52 PM

If you push the horn button and you hear the relay click check if their's voltage coming to the wires of each horn, if yes,
take the horns out, remove the resistance screws and spray penetrating oil and give them a good shake so the penetrating oil cleans the inside, get the penetrating oil out, refit the screws then re fit them and test them.

Midnight 85 06-17-2012 04:51 PM

I have two nos original equipment Vette horns never been used. The problem is they are both "A" note. If anybody needs an "A" note horn you can name your price. If it is reasonable enough I will even include shipping.

ZR-71 06-17-2012 08:17 PM

I'm surprised no one posted one of these :D

http://www.zazzle.com/horn_broken_bu...41553038007253

hotrodbob01 06-25-2012 04:07 PM

Ok, figured out how to remove the horn button. The contact plate and arms had corrosion on them. Slid a piece of sand paper between the two pieces and the contact points in the steering wheel housing and now my horn works fine. Wimpy, but fine..