CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   6 speed vs automatic transmission (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3057601-6-speed-vs-automatic-transmission.html)

bontrager 05-14-2012 12:35 PM

6 speed vs automatic transmission

Is the manual transmission preferred by most vet owners vs. an automatic? If so why; especially since an automaitic is faster off the line?

Would appreciate your comments.

MrMojoRisin921 05-14-2012 12:47 PM

I always prefer a manual shift on my sports cars. I feel more connected to the driving experience and love the feel of running the car through the gears or a sweet double clutch down shift.

Now...

My car is a weekend warrior and not a daily driver and if it was, since I live in LA, a manual would kill me in the traffic out here.

Jistari 05-14-2012 12:47 PM

:beatdeadhorse:

But cant hold it against you since you're asking :D
(probably 27000 topics on this)

Yup, I would think so. For some reason the vert with the manual seems to be the most desireable from what I read when it comes up here.

Although many many love the auto (my choice also, just suits what I use the car for).

There's a lot to be said for rowing through the gears (and I have to admit I do miss it once in a while) in general driving. That fun factor is what influences most preferences I guess.

Yup, a good driver in an manual may beat an equally equipped auto, but...the auto never...never ...blinks :rofl:. So a mediocre driver in an auto, in a straight line, will very likely be consistent and fast.

The majority of the drivers dont take their cars to the track so they're not concerned about a few tenths, they just like to drive.

Corvette_Ed 05-14-2012 12:52 PM

I've always preferred a manual transmission because it provides more control over the vehicle, it gives better gas mileage than an automatic, a manual will beat an auto given two equally skilled drivers, and it's just flat out more fun. I don't even mind driving mine in traffic situations, but I'm about as old school as a car guy can get. Automatics just seem like the lazy way out to me.

Cubman 05-14-2012 01:02 PM

If I don't want to shift I'd drive the Buick :thumbs:

bontrager 05-14-2012 01:03 PM

Thank you for you responses; all make for a good argument.

robert miller 05-14-2012 01:19 PM

ttt

If you are not much more than stock HP it is what ever you want. But if you getting into big rwhp with the car a auto will hold up better on you without breaking parts....:thumbs::thumbs::ack:Robert

94centennial 05-14-2012 01:25 PM

to me an automatic in a Corvette is about as desirable as one in a Harley!

AngryTurtle 05-14-2012 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed (Post 1580809172)
a manual will be an auto given two equally skilled drivers,

Im assuming you meant "beat" and that just isnt true. A crappy drive with an auto well beat the crap out of a crappy driver with manual. Which is part of what makes a manual more fun. It makes you a better driver.

usgecko 05-14-2012 01:28 PM

If a corvette was my only car I might have opted for an automatic, fortunately I have an automatic (Mercury Marauder) for the daily grind. When I feel like being more involved with the driving that's when I reach for the 'Vette keys.

94centennial 05-14-2012 01:32 PM

I did not mean "beat". I meant "fun" of driving a manual. I like having control of the shifting and the sound.

Corvette_Ed 05-14-2012 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gigdy (Post 1580809448)
Im assuming you meant "beat" and that just isnt true. A crappy drive with an auto well beat the crap out of a crappy driver with manual. Which is part of what makes a manual more fun. It makes you a better driver.

I disagree, but that's an argument that's best settled on a 1/4-mile stretch of road. :thumbs:

darkstar.c5 05-14-2012 01:53 PM

i love my m6, its fun, i feel more connected to my "driving experience"... but that being said.. i hurt my back month ago and missed driving cuz the pain was impeding my left leg so i couldnt clutch very well. i was wishing i had an auto at that time.

Oh 2 Fun 05-14-2012 01:54 PM

I've always preferred manual trannies in everything I drove. So I have a six-speed.

However....I must admit towing with my automatic truck is far easier than it was with the stick truck I had. Especially trying to back a boat up a hill into a driveway....no more "burning clutch" smell.....

Blitzkrieg 05-14-2012 02:08 PM

AUTOS RULE

1. My wife can drive the car

2. I can drive and drink my coffee without the fear of spilling!

3. I can talk on the phone without having to shift gears!

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear!

5. Manuals are very hard to get constant ET times at the track!

6. Any and all fast guys at the track runs Autos!

SO HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES!!!!

MrWhan 05-14-2012 02:18 PM

I've had both. Love both. One for terrorizing mustangs (ha!), one for cruising. One for racing, one for parades. One to run thru the gears, one to hit cruise control. I have a vette people either love or they hate.

SO...

The reason the Corvette lasts is that it is all things to all people who love it.

You want BAD A$$, you got it! You want unique, you got it! You want elite, you got it! You want a dream, you got it! You want bragging rights, you got it! You want mid life crisis, you got it! You want to race, you got it! You want to cruise, you got it! Convertible, hardtop, coupe, you got it!

You want American, you got it! You want the best, you got it!

Go visit the National Corvette Museum and take a tour of the plant.

And get the Corvette of your dreamz. :D

94centennial 05-14-2012 02:21 PM

1. I do not want my wife driving my Vette
2. I do not eat or drink in my Vette. And I do not let other people.
3. i do not talk on a phone while I drive.
4. I do not need bragging right at a "strip".
5. I just love driving a stick.

Paul Wood 05-14-2012 02:22 PM

I have a 98 with an A4. It is an amazing performer off the line and the published numbers are like 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. I do not need anything better than that and my ride is pretty much bone stock. When I want to do some performance driving it is pretty easy to pull the shifter down into 1 and work through the gears or hold the RPMs up. I have had the A4 "tuned" to my specific needs and it drives like a dream.

ps. I have never had the clutch go to the floor, missed a gear or a day when I wanted to drive the car, I have never had to change the clutch fluid, the slave cylinder, or the clutch for that matter!!!!! Some days I do miss the stick in the Porsche but that is another story. Good Luck !

Toque 05-14-2012 02:27 PM

I did not want an auto because.
1.) I did not want my wife driving it. My wife can't drive a 6 speed.... :D
2.) Auto's are boring for the type of driving I like to do (my daily driver GTI is 6 speed also):D

I wanted a 6 speed because.
1.) Its not a daily driver.
2.) Fun to drive factor is very high !

I just love 6 speeds.... :thumbs:

I could care a less who is faster (auto vs manual). I bought my car to enjoy. I would not have enjoyed an auto at all.

Toque

Sonny71 05-14-2012 02:38 PM

I've owned both over the years and they only time I prefer the automatic is in a 5 mile traffic backup.

jim993 05-14-2012 02:42 PM

I like my A4 on the track.

I also get to drive the 280 Z which I used to own once in a while, it is a four speed manual and fun also.

Not sure what my next Corvette would be. Maybe a paddle shift seven or eight speed auto.

ALLEGRO 05-14-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin921 (Post 1580809123)
I always prefer a manual shift on my sports cars. I feel more connected to the driving experience and love the feel of running the car through the gears or a sweet double clutch down shift.

Now...

My car is a weekend warrior and not a daily driver and if it was, since I live in LA, a manual would kill me in the traffic out here.

I agree :iagree:

I want to be part of the driving process when in the AE. BUT....there are sometimes (stopped-traffic) where I would like to be a bit move removed from the actual process......but this too I take in stide as the "experience" of driving a Corvette. :flag: :cheers: :flag:

retired cop 05-14-2012 02:50 PM

Cant beat a stalled auto

Rexde1 05-14-2012 02:51 PM

i fugure the auto is more popular because the stick is an option. Mines a dailey driver with a stick, I just think its fun.

baxsom 05-14-2012 03:01 PM

my C5 is the manual but my 72 C3 has the th400. I wish it was the manual but when I was ready to buy a C3 it was either a 350 coupe with the manual or the 454 vert with th400.
i think i made the right choice.

whitesmokels1 05-14-2012 03:07 PM

Daily driven 6 speed here. Love every second of it. Knowing exactly what rpm I want to have when entering a turn on a twisty country road to sitting in traffic exercising my leg. Oh and its a great excuse to ignore the phone when you're in driving mode.

Grimlock 05-14-2012 03:36 PM

Corvette sales prove that an automatic is the preferred transmission of the general new car buyer. On the other had, among enthusiasts (like this forum) you will find a STRONG bias towards the manual. I also see that 6-spd equipped Vettes seem to do better on the used car market which is contrary to new car sales. So it tells you a little about the different Corvette buyers (new vs used). The used Vette buyer seems to be a bit more slanted towards performance and value. I know I am!

Of course technology has come a long way since the C5, and I personally would prefer a twin-clutch transmission if I were buying a new Vette. Hopefully the C7 will come with one, or it will have trouble being competitive. A twin-clutch transmission is proven to offer much better overall performance, and this isn't really up to debate. I can only imagine how much quicker a car like the ZR1 would be if it had a modern transmission!

That being said, I think it may be sad when in 20 years the manual transmission is all but extinct. Kids won't ever to learn to drive a proper manual. And it is darn fun to shift a manual when you aren't stuck in stop and go traffic.

Corvette_Ed 05-14-2012 03:37 PM

It used to be that buying a car with an auto trans would jack the price up. New cars today are the exact opposite, and you'll find yourself paying more for a manual trans than the auto. It's a shame really.

MawneeC5 05-14-2012 03:41 PM

If you are building a dragster....go auto. If you want a sports car and want to drive the car it has to be a manual.

mikes1hog 05-14-2012 03:45 PM

Check out what the average age is for a Corvette owner. Speaking for myself, old fart that I am, my dream as a kid (it's hard but I somehow recall a little) was to own a big engined whatever with a 4 speed. Yes my '04 convertible is a 6 spd. As a kid, with a new license, what car did I get to drive? my Mom's '56 Chevy Nomad - auto of course. Wish I had the nomad even automatic, but that's another story.

robert miller 05-14-2012 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg (Post 1580809829)
AUTOS RULE

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear!

:lol::lol::lol::iagree::thumbs: My 65 vette has a 5 speed in it but I also dont run it hard also...:lol::lol: Robert

bontrager 05-14-2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by retired cop (Post 1580810198)
Cant beat a stalled auto

I give up; what's a "stalled" auto.

Thank you.

Grimlock 05-14-2012 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bontrager (Post 1580811430)
I give up; what's a "stalled" auto.

Thank you.

A stall converter in an automatic transmission.

Chilliwack vettes 05-14-2012 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1580809994)
I did not want an auto because.
1.) I did not want my wife driving it. My wife can't drive a 6 speed.... :D
2.) Auto's are boring for the type of driving I like to do (my daily driver GTI is 6 speed also):D

I wanted a 6 speed because.
1.) Its not a daily driver.
2.) Fun to drive factor is very high !

I could care a less who is faster (auto vs manual). I bought my car to enjoy. I would not have enjoyed an auto at all.

Toque

:iagree: I would however, prefer to have an auto for my dd. Unfortunately, my dd is a 1.5L Civic & it NEEDS the 5spd to go up any hills...!
As a side note - the clutches in my C5 and Civic feel about the same. Real easy compared to my C4 - not a car for traffic!

Grainraiser 05-14-2012 05:48 PM

I really wanted a 6 spd Vette but ended up with a auto. I have always been a manual guy but the only 6spd Vette I could find equiped like my auto was 2k more. The seller would not budge on the price and I got the auto instead. I would have loved to have the 6spd but it was not worth 2k to me.

Reggie

jedblanks 05-15-2012 08:32 AM

Note that most people in the auto camp are telling you why it's better.

Most people in the m6 camp are telling you how much they love it.

Read into that what you will.

C5Wolfe 05-15-2012 08:38 AM

AUTOS RULE

:iagree: 100%!!I went to autos when i was drag racing every weekend and got tired of breaking parts and getting beat by cars with B&M hydros and beefed up automatics. i love a well set up automatic!:thumbs:

Jim2003 05-15-2012 08:53 AM

I have a 4 sp in my 68 Camaro ( I am the only owner of it). In 03 I ordered my 03 Vette with a 6 sp and had to pay for it cause it was an option. I am looking at ordering a 2013 and now the 6 sp is standard and you pay for the auto. I feel that is a marketing decision, they sell more autos so charge for them and make more money.

TwinTurboZ51 05-15-2012 10:06 AM

AUTOS RULE

1. My wife can drive the car That is your problem.

2. I can drive and drink my coffee without the fear of spilling!Why would I drink coffee while driving my Vette?

3. I can talk on the phone without having to shift gears!Blue tooth

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear!Missed gears are for bad drivers

5. Manuals are very hard to get constant ET times at the track!Not if you have your launch down

6. Any and all fast guys at the track runs Autos! False - I see many cars in excess of your HP running manuals

Dont care for Dems or apples.

99 VET 05-15-2012 10:27 AM

Interesting read. I prefer my 6 speed FRC as I enjoy driving it. My DD is a auto & it fits my DD needs. Side note: "No food or drink in MY Vette ever!). Only joking. I wonder how many of none return waves come from auto vettes?

Zr-1Mike00 05-15-2012 10:30 AM

When comparing stock vs. stock the gears are different I believe the 6Speed is 3.73 and the Auto is 2.XX Correct me if Im wrong. The 6Speed most likely will feel like it has a little more torque just due to the gear ratio.

Suthunman 05-15-2012 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jedblanks (Post 1580816582)
Note that most people in the auto camp are telling you why it's better.

Most people in the m6 camp are telling you how much they love it.

Read into that what you will.

:iagree: Good observation

Driving a 6 speed is a love for some of us. There is even a bunch of the auto preferred guys that like it. I've seen many times where they have said they sometimes grab their auto gear selector and run her through the gears. It's just not the same.
I've never heard a 6 speed owner say "I just like to play like I have an automatic and take off in 5th and just let her roll."

RetiredSFC 97 05-15-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by robert miller (Post 1580809388)
If you are not much more than stock HP it is what ever you want. But if you getting into big rwhp with the car a auto will hold up better on you without breaking parts....:thumbs::thumbs::ack:Robert

If I were racing I would want an auto,but that's just me.

For my driving pleasure I prefer a manual and is one of the main reasons I sold my C4 and bought a C5. There were others as well but that one was pretty big.

99 VET 05-15-2012 02:39 PM

My '99 FRC which only came as 6 speed has 3.42 gears stock from the factory.

RetiredSFC 97 05-15-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 99 VET (Post 1580819836)
My '99 FRC which only came as 6 speed has 3.42 gears stock from the factory.

They all do

Baibaikin 05-15-2012 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Suthunman (Post 1580818242)
:iagree:

I've seen many times where they have said they sometimes grab their auto gear selector and run her through the gears.

:rofl::rofl:

Or shift into neutral on uphill stop, and shift into D so that the car slightly rolls back, making people think that you have a manual.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MawneeC5 05-15-2012 03:32 PM

AUTOS RULE

1. I consider it a perk that my wife cant drive my car. She runs into stuff.....
2. I drive too fast for drinks to stay in a cup holder.
3. I dont have time to talk to people while enjoying rowing the gears.
4. So you admittedly arent good at shifting?
5. See point 4
6. Fast guys at the STRIP run autos. Track cars are manual.

:D
Applesauce!

SacCityCorvette 05-15-2012 05:24 PM

This is just my opinion, but I feel more connected to what the car is doing with a 6spd. I don't feel as in control going hot into a turn and down shifting the auto because you can't control exactly when and how hard it slows the rear wheels and that can cause lock up under heavy breaking. I think, other than drag racing, over all the manual performs better, less power loss, it sounds better, easier to repair plus better gas mileage. There are times though when I wish I could flick a switch and have it be a auto. Then when I get bored I can flick back to manual.:thumbs:

torchredmadness 05-15-2012 05:39 PM

The wife and I have been driving 6 speeds since 1994. That is when we bought a new Z-28 Camaro with a 6 speed. She had a chance to get an auto when we were looking for a Vette a year ago but she insisted we get a 6 speed. This might explain why we have learned to drive through the skip shift light too.

blacksedan87 05-15-2012 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zr-1Mike00 (Post 1580817537)
When comparing stock vs. stock the gears are different I believe the 6Speed is 3.73 and the Auto is 2.XX Correct me if Im wrong. The 6Speed most likely will feel like it has a little more torque just due to the gear ratio.

All C5 and C6's with manual transmissions came from the factory with 3.42 final drive ratio. C5's with the A4 were standard with the 2.73 gear and offered optionally the 3.15.

The bottom line of this discussion is what do you prefer? Personally I couldn't care less about faster or more consistent times at the drag strip. I don't run my car at the strip.

There is no right or wrong answer - that's why there are different flavors of ice cream.

hdkeno 05-15-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by blacksedan87 (Post 1580821549)
All C5 and C6's with manual transmissions came from the factory with 3.42 final drive ratio. C5's with the A4 were standard with the 2.73 gear and offered optionally the 3.15.

The bottom line of this discussion is what do you prefer? Personally I couldn't care less about faster or more consistent times at the drag strip. I don't run my car at the strip.

There is no right or wrong answer - that's why there are different flavors of ice cream.

:iagree: Well said. Although I love my mn6, there is nothing wrong with the a4. Drive what you like.

Ikester 05-15-2012 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bontrager (Post 1580809017)
Is the manual transmission preferred by most vet owners vs. an automatic? If so why; especially since an automaitic is faster off the line?

Would appreciate your comments.

manuals are a ton more fun to drive! :thumbs:

Zr-1Mike00 05-15-2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by blacksedan87 (Post 1580821549)

Those were the numbers I was looking for! :willy: :willy:

I knew I mixed them up/got them completely wrong hahah :ack: :hide:

Vetteman Jack 05-15-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1580809226)
If production numbers are any indication, the automatic is the trans of choice. Far more auto's built than manual's.

:yesnod: I've had two 6-speed C5s and now an A4. Either tranny is fun to drive - after all, they both are installed in a Corvette. I had fun with the manual trannys, but I have to admit having an auto makes things nice for traffic and just general cruising. I do miss the better gas mileage of the manual tranny though. What will my next one be - just depends on how I feel at the time.

SCM_Crash 05-15-2012 08:46 PM

AUTOS RULE

1. My wife can drive the car Why is this good? My previous girlfriend could drive a manual. She didn't like driving my Z06, so that was still a win for me.

2. I can drive and drink my coffee without the fear of spilling! So can I. I don't understand your drinking problems. LOL

3. I can talk on the phone without having to shift gears! So can I. Bluetooth. And it's the law. Even before BT, I was still able to talk and shift.

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear! Power has nothing to do with missing a gear. Driving skill and common sense does. I don't miss gears either way.

5. Manuals are very hard to get constant ET times at the track! Driver mod fixes that. My times were very consistent.

6. Any and all fast guys at the track runs Autos! Fast guys use 2 speed power glide transmissions which are manually shifted, actually.

Your apples are small and tasteless. :D

Responses look like this.

:)

But it's all good. The best transmission is the one that fits your lifestyle.

Mike98SilVert 05-15-2012 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1580809994)

:iagree: Exactly

Front Runner 05-15-2012 09:04 PM

I really like my A4. When I get into the Vette I'm in cruise mode. IMO manuals are fun to drive at first but get old after while. Sometimes I just get tired of shifting gears. My DD is a 5 speed and it's fun at times but (as stated) I get tired of shifting gears. I prefer a manual with 4 cylinder engines that dont have alot of power and autos for the more powerful cars that have plenty of power with either tranny.

Grimlock 05-15-2012 09:07 PM

In a perfect world they would make a twin-clutch 6+ gear Z06 with full automatic mode. That would rock! Here is hoping that the C7 has one!

Front Runner 05-15-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grimlock (Post 1580823299)
In a perfect world they would make a twin-clutch 6+ gear Z06 with full automatic mode. That would rock! Here is hoping that the C7 has one!

Yes, that would be sweet! :rock: That would be perfect for the part-time fun manual shifters like me. :D I could play for a little while and when I get good & tired of shifting, put it in auto mode. :thumbs:

GM Fan 05-15-2012 09:54 PM

Manual for the win. Obviously just my opinion but an auto vette is just boring, especially the 4 spd auto in the C5. If I'm reading an article or post and notice its an auto, screw it, instantly not interested and moving on. Not to mention YouTube vids or something...

EmpReb 05-15-2012 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by GM Fan (Post 1580823807)
Manual for the win. Obviously just my opinion but an auto vette is just boring, especially the 4 spd auto in the C5. If I'm reading an article or post and notice its an auto, screw it, instantly not interested and moving on. Not to mention YouTube vids or something...

There is something about manual that connects you too the car. I got to drive a Mercedes 87 Convertible (can't remember it right.) 5 speed manual. It took me awhile but once I got it down I knew that what ever sports car I got it has to be manual. Your a part of the car.

Roc87 05-15-2012 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cubman (Post 1580809260)
If I don't want to shift I'd drive the Buick :thumbs:

tripleblackvert 05-16-2012 12:13 AM

I got an auto because the price was right, its my daily driver, and it keeps me out of trouble. No 5000 rpms through the on ramps and dumping the clutch at red lights.

Dixiecrat 05-16-2012 12:38 AM

I love a 6 spd, fun to drive. But im 65 and my body dont agree with my heart,lol. Thats the ONLY reason I have an automatic !

Jesse Asis 05-16-2012 04:11 AM

Well this is simple to answer....
1. It's a SPORTSCAR, just that alone is a reason to have a 6 speed tranny
2. It's a Corvette, just another reason for a 6 speed tranny
3. Managment of the motor to driving conditions, YOU have full control (not much else in life, your wife controls the remainding 90% of everything else).
4. Sound, Feeling...
5. It's also a safety item, you can't eat, talk on a cell phone, drink with a 6 speed, you can with an automatic...
6. And last, cut down on request to take her for a spin, "I'd let you, but you don't know how to drive a stick.....ee ee...)...

Enjoy the manual ride... I do....

2003 electronblue 05-16-2012 07:14 AM

An auto for me as a cluch would just be another expensive part to replace as i have always burned them out in my youth. Now i enjoy just cruising with my startbucks.

2003 electronblue 05-16-2012 07:16 AM

Both

Originally Posted by Roc87 (Post 1580824905)

I also have a buick park ave and enjoy driving them both! could i be a gemni?:eek:

C5Wolfe 05-16-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by GM Fan (Post 1580823807)

You have to admit that the automatics have great looking tailights though as this is a view you most often will see on the dragstrip!:woohoo:
Automatics are "GREAT" even if their drivers are a bit "shiftless"!

Sargevette 05-16-2012 08:35 AM

I've had both. Now a 6 speed. It's just more fun to me in my weekend toy to be able to shift. Don't do the drag strip. Went through those years back in the 70's. The car's not designed for that although some do well at it. If I wanted a fast drag car I could buy a 5.0 Mustang and make it faster for 1/2 the cost.

AngryTurtle 05-16-2012 10:25 AM

all z06's and zr1's. Just sayin.

Yello95 05-16-2012 10:43 AM

I have both...shifting is a pain in the butt in traffic...I mostly enjoy the A/T but sometimes drive my 6 speed...its all good:auto:

TheBigDog 05-16-2012 03:15 PM

The only reason I can think of off the top of my head is the automatic is faster :D

The Big Dog

C5Wolfe 05-16-2012 09:58 PM

. Don't do the drag strip. Went through those years back in the 70's. The car's not designed for that although some do well at it. If I wanted a fast drag car I could buy a 5.0 Mustang and make it faster for 1/2 the cost.[/QUOTE]

I went through it too back in the 60's and never quit! still love to dragrace although not as often now. i f you really want a "fast" street car put about 600-700 h.p. mill in a "T" bucket and hang on!

schulte26 05-16-2012 10:52 PM

6 spd vs automatics

I've had both...........manual is the way to go.........more fun !!

Camaro_94 05-16-2012 11:00 PM

If you plan on racing a car at the track a lot, autos are better. However, I don't... So I love my 6 speed. Way more fun to drive.

pantherchams 05-16-2012 11:12 PM

Been covered, but I bought my auto as a dd, and it rocks. I was so over going in and out of first on my commute, now I just mess with my coffee, iPod, or phone while I tool around, no worries. If I had a weekend only car (and I do) it would be manual (and it is).

Ben

CheezMoe 05-16-2012 11:26 PM

Many many pros and cons to both. My C5 is 6spd, and for driving on country roads it's great! In traffic, not so much! My C3 has a T400 with 2400 stall and 400hp 383, and I can embarass many a late model 6spd with that baby (It's usally azzhats in stangs that take the bait!) :rofl::rofl:

Iv'e driven a couple of C6's with the A6 and paddles. I think that setup is awesome and would probably take that option over M6 if I bought a new one.

For all you with 6speeds that think you can outshift an auto with a competent driver, pass the joint! :crazy2:

o2bnkc 05-17-2012 12:26 AM

My first six vettes were all autos, including two powerglides. I always said the wife may have to drive so I need an auto. Well, SCREW THAT! My current one has the six speed and it's a hoot! My daily driver is a Kenworth with a ten speed. Now that sucks. My next one will have an Allison automatic, but I digress. So compared to my daily driver, my 02 is a joy. I love to jump in, get on the road and go through the gears. What a rush. Totally different from my previous vettes. I think it's kind of hard to explain to people with autos.

JustinStrife 05-17-2012 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gigdy (Post 1580827283)
all FRC's, z06's and zr1's. Just sayin.

Fixed and :iagree::iagree:

I wouldn't have it any other way. :smash:

rootpooty 05-17-2012 05:27 AM

AUTOS RULE

lol
1: wifey isnt driving!
2: I want to see you nail the gas and sip that coffee!
3: get a headset if you need to talk that bad!
4: learn to bang gears!
5: wow your right!
6: yeah the lazy ones!

your car will always be one of my favs brian!

Atok 05-17-2012 07:39 AM

1. No real sports car has an automatic transmission.

2. Manual is just more fun to drive.

3. Corvette is better known for road racing than drag racing. Road race cars do not have automatic transmissions.

As someone else said, if I didn't want to shift I would drive a Buick. lol

Ohyoufan 04-09-2013 10:23 PM

^exactly what he said. I had my auto ws6 for drag racing but going straight and not being able to hit gears KILLED me. I wanted to hit gears while flying through a turn. It's all preference though I guess.

SCM_Crash 04-09-2013 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Atok (Post 1580835733)
1. No real sports car has an automatic transmission.

2. Manual is just more fun to drive.

3. Corvette is better known for road racing than drag racing. Road race cars do not have automatic transmissions.

As someone else said, if I didn't want to shift I would drive a Buick. lol

I prefer manual over auto, but your blanket insinuation that no real sports car has an auto means that Ferrari and Lamborghini don't make sports cars anymore.

torchredmadness 04-09-2013 10:57 PM

Since the Vette was bought to replace my wife's Z28 6 speed daily driver she made it clear that if she was going to be driving a Vette as a daily driver it better be a six speed too!

mikes1hog 04-09-2013 11:11 PM

And , at the end of the day, how many "younger" drivers can even drive a manual tranny?

bikeriderga 04-10-2013 12:06 AM

Really no right or wrong answer. Traffic jams, auto. Fun car, 6 speed. Z06 only one choice in stock form.

Rookieracer 04-10-2013 12:08 AM

AUTOS RULE

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the concern of having to shift a gear!

In my younger days I was responsible for lots of guys switching from manual to auto after one ride with me. I would row the manual gears so fast most were embarrassed to ever race a manual ever again.

That being said my Vert is an auto for the reasons the clown posted above.
Plus it sure is nice having my quads and calves on both legs the same diameter and not walking with a limp. :D

FYI, once you manual guys leave the line, if your right foot ever leaves the floor, you lose!

IRACEMYCOPCAR 04-10-2013 12:32 AM

Ive had both... i had a 6 speed in a Z06 first and i have an auto coupe now, i always prefer a manual tranny but i got a deal on my current auto i couldnt pass up and honestly i like it more than i thought i would. A manual is definitely better for racing and more aggressive driving but the auto is nice to just cruise and enjoy. I drive a big truck all day thats a manual and the vette is my daily so its nice to get off work and throw it in drive, relax and cruise home with the targa off.

Tyler_RN_EMT 04-10-2013 01:19 AM

I learned how to drive a manual on my MN6 C5!

I drove from north of Indianapolis to St. louis in the fiance's scion and picked up my C5 Torch Red Vert from a "sophisticated" gentleman shall I say :hide:. I asked him to take me for a test drive before making the deal :D then got in and backed out of his drive. You should have seen his face handing the keys over to a 25 year old at the time after explaining to him the reason I asked HIM to take ME for a test drive was because I had never owned a manual before!!! :rofl: Made it home from St. Louis and only killed it once in Downtown St. Louis. :thumbs:

I had previously a 02 Mustang GT that was perfect except it was an Automatic. I LOVED the car, but regretted it not being a 5-speed every time I drove it. I told myself If I got another fun car I would only get it in manual. I test drove a couple C5 autos before deciding I wouldn't let myself fall in the same scenario as before. Once the newness and "Cool factor" of driving a Corvette would wear off, I think I would have been EXTREMELY dissapointed if I had settled for an AUTO. As the vette isn't my daily driver, I get sooooo excited to slip in the driver's seat and grab that gear shift....... It MAKES the car!!!! There is something down deep inside of you that just feels right when making a gear change and feel the pressure of the clutch on your left foot and clink as the gear shifter slides into the next gear :rock: Someone said it best earlier. People with Autos keep saying WHY the auto is better, but people with 6-speeds keep saying HOW MUCH FUN they are!!!!!

Shift on my friends, and remember If it's a Corvette, It's cool in my book!

Tyler

JETninja 04-10-2013 01:20 AM

AUTOS RULE

1. My wife can drive the car Taught my Wife how to drive a stick almost 30yrs ago, she drives a '08 TTq 6sp and loves it..and we searched specifically for a manual

2. I can drive and drink my coffee without the fear of spilling! That what spill proof cups are for, drink just fine in my M3 and Z06, both manuals.

3. I can talk on the phone without having to shift gears! Illegal in most states, be smart and use bluetooth

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear! Stupid excuse, hard to miss a gear in a modern manual

5. Manuals are very hard to get constant ET times at the track! For Drag racing - True

6. Any and all fast guys at the track runs Autos! Drag racing only, Vettes are Sports Cars and made to corner at over 1G for modern ones, they just happen to drag pretty well also.

.5 out of 6...your percentage sucks clown dude. :D

SilverBullet95 04-10-2013 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by mikes1hog (Post 1583596113)
And , at the end of the day, how many "younger" drivers can even drive a manual tranny?

Not many! It's a good excuse to keep buddies from wanting to test out my car :thumbs: Out of my school of almost 2000, there's probably only a couple dozen that can actually drive stick. It's rather sad really; it's an awesome experience and way more fun to drive than my old A4 Camaro, even though the comp cam can be a huge headache sometimes:rock:

JETninja 04-10-2013 01:45 AM

I have 4 Sons, 2 of driving age and own cars they bought themselves, both drive manuals quite well.

bladex10 04-10-2013 04:26 AM

I daily drove a H/C/I Stage 3 clutch 5 speed 1995 Mustang Cobra for awhile. So needless to say, My left leg is shredded with muscle. Any other manual car i drive now feels like a feather.

Manual>Auto every day of the week for me in a sports car. Im surprised there are so many Auto C5s out there. Its a damn sports car not a eco box.

o2bnkc 04-10-2013 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by JETninja (Post 1583596774)
.5 out of 6...your percentage sucks clown dude. :D

JetMechZ16 04-10-2013 07:51 AM

I always wondered about people who bought Vetts with automatics. I thought they just wanted the car for the image and not the actual driving experience. Auto's are boring to me, just push the pedal on the right side, nothing much else to do.

On a side note, afew years ago I had a doctor tell me there was a good possibility that he was going to have to amputate my left leg at the upper thigh. The 1st thing I asked him was "How am I going to drive my car or motorcycle" That was the 1st thing that came into my mind. He looked at me kinda strange, and said I had more important things to worry about. I didn't think so, I WAS worrying about the the important things, SHIFTING!

OH..I didn't loose the leg, so no worries there now.

mikes1hog 04-10-2013 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by JETninja (Post 1583596838)
I have 4 Sons, 2 of driving age and own cars they bought themselves, both drive manuals quite well.

I should have said the majority of younger folks. My four " kiddoes" are split with two driving manuals and two autos. True story; my brother who is 5 years junior to me ( he's old too) married at 22 and shortly after, about two years, he traded his car in for a stick version. His wife had no choice but to learn how to drive manual!

Raiku898 04-10-2013 08:47 AM

I'm 25. Both my vette and bmw daily driver are 6spds. :smash: My last two cars were as well. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I will admit that I know a lot of people who do not.

CNC5 04-10-2013 09:12 AM

I'll beat the dead horse...lol. It's all up to the owner/buyer. Mine is auto and I have no complaints. Plenty of get up and go for me, can still burnout with the best of them. Nothing wrong with a 6 spd either. I just happened upon a great deal on an a4 so I went with it.

703 04-10-2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT (Post 1583596770)
I learned how to drive a manual on my MN6 C5!

I drove from north of Indianapolis to St. louis in the fiance's scion and picked up my C5 Torch Red Vert from a "sophisticated" gentleman shall I say :hide:. I asked him to take me for a test drive before making the deal :D then got in and backed out of his drive. You should have seen his face handing the keys over to a 25 year old at the time after explaining to him the reason I asked HIM to take ME for a test drive was because I had never owned a manual before!!! :rofl: Made it home from St. Louis and only killed it once in Downtown St. Louis. :thumbs:

How hard was it to learn on the C5 ? I'm in the same boat, I don't know how to drive a stick shift but when I find the vette im looking for I want it to be a manual. I don't know anyone with a manual car to learn on so I would most likely have to learn on the vette :hide:

Raiku898 04-10-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 703 (Post 1583598925)
How hard was it to learn on the C5 ? I'm in the same boat, I don't know how to drive a stick shift but when I find the vette im looking for I want it to be a manual. I don't know anyone with a manual car to learn on so I would most likely have to learn on the vette :hide:

I would say as far as manuals go that the corvette isn't terribly hard. You have to manhandle it more than a bmw or some of the Japanese cars but nothing extreme. Definitely leave the traction control on. Learn in an open space. I could foresee the biggest problem being putting too much pressure on the gas pedal and burning out/spinning the tires.