CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   6 speed vs automatic transmission (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3057601-6-speed-vs-automatic-transmission.html)

Zr-1Mike00 05-15-2012 10:30 AM

When comparing stock vs. stock the gears are different I believe the 6Speed is 3.73 and the Auto is 2.XX Correct me if Im wrong. The 6Speed most likely will feel like it has a little more torque just due to the gear ratio.

Suthunman 05-15-2012 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jedblanks (Post 1580816582)
Note that most people in the auto camp are telling you why it's better.

Most people in the m6 camp are telling you how much they love it.

Read into that what you will.

:iagree: Good observation

Driving a 6 speed is a love for some of us. There is even a bunch of the auto preferred guys that like it. I've seen many times where they have said they sometimes grab their auto gear selector and run her through the gears. It's just not the same.
I've never heard a 6 speed owner say "I just like to play like I have an automatic and take off in 5th and just let her roll."

RetiredSFC 97 05-15-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by robert miller (Post 1580809388)
If you are not much more than stock HP it is what ever you want. But if you getting into big rwhp with the car a auto will hold up better on you without breaking parts....:thumbs::thumbs::ack:Robert

If I were racing I would want an auto,but that's just me.

For my driving pleasure I prefer a manual and is one of the main reasons I sold my C4 and bought a C5. There were others as well but that one was pretty big.

99 VET 05-15-2012 02:39 PM

My '99 FRC which only came as 6 speed has 3.42 gears stock from the factory.

RetiredSFC 97 05-15-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 99 VET (Post 1580819836)
My '99 FRC which only came as 6 speed has 3.42 gears stock from the factory.

They all do

Baibaikin 05-15-2012 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Suthunman (Post 1580818242)
:iagree:

I've seen many times where they have said they sometimes grab their auto gear selector and run her through the gears.

:rofl::rofl:

Or shift into neutral on uphill stop, and shift into D so that the car slightly rolls back, making people think that you have a manual.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MawneeC5 05-15-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg (Post 1580809829)
AUTOS RULE

1. My wife can drive the car

2. I can drive and drink my coffee without the fear of spilling!

3. I can talk on the phone without having to shift gears!

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear!

5. Manuals are very hard to get constant ET times at the track!

6. Any and all fast guys at the track runs Autos!

SO HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES!!!!

1. I consider it a perk that my wife cant drive my car. She runs into stuff.....
2. I drive too fast for drinks to stay in a cup holder.
3. I dont have time to talk to people while enjoying rowing the gears.
4. So you admittedly arent good at shifting?
5. See point 4
6. Fast guys at the STRIP run autos. Track cars are manual.

:D
Applesauce!

SacCityCorvette 05-15-2012 05:24 PM

This is just my opinion, but I feel more connected to what the car is doing with a 6spd. I don't feel as in control going hot into a turn and down shifting the auto because you can't control exactly when and how hard it slows the rear wheels and that can cause lock up under heavy breaking. I think, other than drag racing, over all the manual performs better, less power loss, it sounds better, easier to repair plus better gas mileage. There are times though when I wish I could flick a switch and have it be a auto. Then when I get bored I can flick back to manual.:thumbs:

torchredmadness 05-15-2012 05:39 PM

The wife and I have been driving 6 speeds since 1994. That is when we bought a new Z-28 Camaro with a 6 speed. She had a chance to get an auto when we were looking for a Vette a year ago but she insisted we get a 6 speed. This might explain why we have learned to drive through the skip shift light too.

blacksedan87 05-15-2012 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zr-1Mike00 (Post 1580817537)
When comparing stock vs. stock the gears are different I believe the 6Speed is 3.73 and the Auto is 2.XX Correct me if Im wrong. The 6Speed most likely will feel like it has a little more torque just due to the gear ratio.

All C5 and C6's with manual transmissions came from the factory with 3.42 final drive ratio. C5's with the A4 were standard with the 2.73 gear and offered optionally the 3.15.

The bottom line of this discussion is what do you prefer? Personally I couldn't care less about faster or more consistent times at the drag strip. I don't run my car at the strip.

There is no right or wrong answer - that's why there are different flavors of ice cream.

hdkeno 05-15-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by blacksedan87 (Post 1580821549)
All C5 and C6's with manual transmissions came from the factory with 3.42 final drive ratio. C5's with the A4 were standard with the 2.73 gear and offered optionally the 3.15.

The bottom line of this discussion is what do you prefer? Personally I couldn't care less about faster or more consistent times at the drag strip. I don't run my car at the strip.

There is no right or wrong answer - that's why there are different flavors of ice cream.

:iagree: Well said. Although I love my mn6, there is nothing wrong with the a4. Drive what you like.

Ikester 05-15-2012 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bontrager (Post 1580809017)
Is the manual transmission preferred by most vet owners vs. an automatic? If so why; especially since an automaitic is faster off the line?

Would appreciate your comments.

manuals are a ton more fun to drive! :thumbs:

Zr-1Mike00 05-15-2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by blacksedan87 (Post 1580821549)

Those were the numbers I was looking for! :willy: :willy:

I knew I mixed them up/got them completely wrong hahah :ack: :hide:

Vetteman Jack 05-15-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1580809226)
If production numbers are any indication, the automatic is the trans of choice. Far more auto's built than manual's.

:yesnod: I've had two 6-speed C5s and now an A4. Either tranny is fun to drive - after all, they both are installed in a Corvette. I had fun with the manual trannys, but I have to admit having an auto makes things nice for traffic and just general cruising. I do miss the better gas mileage of the manual tranny though. What will my next one be - just depends on how I feel at the time.

SCM_Crash 05-15-2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg (Post 1580809829)
AUTOS RULE

1. My wife can drive the car Why is this good? My previous girlfriend could drive a manual. She didn't like driving my Z06, so that was still a win for me.

2. I can drive and drink my coffee without the fear of spilling! So can I. I don't understand your drinking problems. LOL

3. I can talk on the phone without having to shift gears! So can I. Bluetooth. And it's the law. Even before BT, I was still able to talk and shift.

4. At almost 700hp, I can kick the snot out of just about anything without the worry of missing a gear! Power has nothing to do with missing a gear. Driving skill and common sense does. I don't miss gears either way.

5. Manuals are very hard to get constant ET times at the track! Driver mod fixes that. My times were very consistent.

6. Any and all fast guys at the track runs Autos! Fast guys use 2 speed power glide transmissions which are manually shifted, actually.

SO HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES!!!!
Your apples are small and tasteless. :D

Responses look like this.

:)

But it's all good. The best transmission is the one that fits your lifestyle.

Mike98SilVert 05-15-2012 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Toque (Post 1580809994)

I just love 6 speeds.... :thumbs:

I could care a less who is faster (auto vs manual). I bought my car to enjoy. I would not have enjoyed an auto at all.

:iagree: Exactly

Front Runner 05-15-2012 09:04 PM

I really like my A4. When I get into the Vette I'm in cruise mode. IMO manuals are fun to drive at first but get old after while. Sometimes I just get tired of shifting gears. My DD is a 5 speed and it's fun at times but (as stated) I get tired of shifting gears. I prefer a manual with 4 cylinder engines that dont have alot of power and autos for the more powerful cars that have plenty of power with either tranny.

Grimlock 05-15-2012 09:07 PM

In a perfect world they would make a twin-clutch 6+ gear Z06 with full automatic mode. That would rock! Here is hoping that the C7 has one!

Front Runner 05-15-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grimlock (Post 1580823299)
In a perfect world they would make a twin-clutch 6+ gear Z06 with full automatic mode. That would rock! Here is hoping that the C7 has one!

Yes, that would be sweet! :rock: That would be perfect for the part-time fun manual shifters like me. :D I could play for a little while and when I get good & tired of shifting, put it in auto mode. :thumbs:

GM Fan 05-15-2012 09:54 PM

Manual for the win. Obviously just my opinion but an auto vette is just boring, especially the 4 spd auto in the C5. If I'm reading an article or post and notice its an auto, screw it, instantly not interested and moving on. Not to mention YouTube vids or something...