CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   My supercharged wastegate setup is done (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3060188-my-supercharged-wastegate-setup-is-done.html)

96TTdodge 05-18-2012 03:41 PM

My supercharged wastegate setup is done

Hopefully this information will be useful to some other people in the future. Im one of those guys that doesn't post much, but I do like to provide useful information when I can as my way of "giving back" to the forum - This may be my "big contribution" lol.
I decided to give this a shot a few months back. This is on the stock 36k longblock with ECS Novi 2000 and meth. Here's a basic list of the major parts I had installed and tuned by Josh at Horsepower Addicts:
Speed Density setup
ECS small blower cam
Wastegate
8 rib kit - 8" & 3.25" pullies - Yes, on the stock shortblock...that is not a typo.
(lots of other supporting stuff also)
So, after a couple of belt alignment mishaps, a broken oil pan and power steering bracket, the car is now done and home. The results are exactly what I was hoping for.... Boost comes on much faster which gives me much more power under the curve than the previous setup.
For all of the data hungry folks on here I'll attach some of the data from the dyno logs. The only thing I will need to correct at some point is that my wastegate choice must not have been large enough - It simply couldn't keep up with the airflow at 5k rpm and up. Josh had to shut down the dyno run at 5700rpm because I didn't want to push more than 14psi. Boost touched 14.2 at 5400 and then dropped back down slightly, which is pushing it a little too much for my liking. In the next month or so I will probably go with a larger wastegate so I can actually run the motor out to 6300 or so, which should yield higher HP numbers.
Before I post the data I'd like to say thanks to Josh at Horsepower Addicts for his patience and diligence. And even though the work wasn't done at ECS, Chris and Matt worked with me on the phone several times , supplied me with a lot of the parts for this venture ,and were very helpful getting some last minute things shipped out the same day via overnight shipping on a few occassions. Thanks to everybody!

627 HP & 586 TQ
Max HP was at 5900,but as you can see from the data I believe Josh had already left off the throttle around 5700-5800. The torque curve is long and flat at 560 or higher most of the way.
I have all of the data for every 100rpm, but for the sake of keeping things simple here is a summary:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...Wastegate2.jpg

MVP'S ZO6 05-18-2012 03:52 PM

Are you turbocharged or supercharged?

96TTdodge 05-18-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6 (Post 1580849225)
Are you turbocharged or supercharged?

Ok. Please tell me your joking me. :funnypost:

Take a look at the subject line or the info in the post. ;)

joshtownsend 05-18-2012 04:17 PM

Your post seems to be misleading although i don't know if your meaning too. At first glance, its leads you to believe that you picked up all kinds of HP and TQ with a waste gate.

From what I read and know, your gains are due to more mods you put on and then comparing the data correct? If so, put what you added to compare the difference because the waste gate will make no more power then a BOV but used more like an adjustable restrictor plate to control the limits or the total boost output.

ajrothm 05-18-2012 04:25 PM

Also some pics of the WG setup would be nice. Looks like some solid gains under the curve...I'm assuming this is due to pulleying it down for more boost in the low to mid then bleeding the boost off up top with the Wg...

Cool idea...

Sponge Vette 05-18-2012 04:30 PM

Nice info. What W/G did you have and what are you using now?

96TTdodge 05-18-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by joshtownsend (Post 1580849451)
Your post seems to be misleading although i don't know if your meaning too. At first glance, its leads you to believe that you picked up all kinds of HP and TQ with a waste gate.

From what I read and know, your gains are due to more mods you put on and then comparing the data correct? If so, put what you added to compare the difference because the waste gate will make no more power then a BOV but used more like an adjustable restrictor plate to control the limits or the total boost output.

Your partially correct I guess. I did try to keep my initial post short and to the point rather than writing a book. The one big thing I forgot to mention was that I switched to a speed density setup. Other than that, the parts I have listed above are it.
So, from the parts listed and the data above I suppose you can draw your own conclusions about how the power came to be. The main idea with the wastegate is to gain power under the curve...which worked. The max hp gain came from more boost, cam, and speed density tune. Hopefully that provides more clarity.

96TTdodge 05-18-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sponge Vette (Post 1580849581)
Nice info. What W/G did you have and what are you using now?

Currently a Precision Turbo 46mm, which apparently isn't quite big enough. I have 12psi springs in it. :banghead:

96TTdodge 05-18-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ajrothm (Post 1580849530)
Also some pics of the WG setup would be nice.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the wastegate setup and its under the car or I would go snap a few. :(

user_name 05-18-2012 04:56 PM

I'm not sure I would call that much of a success. I don't think it would equate to much in a race. Maybe you can fine tune it to hit 14psi early and hold it to redline? That would be my goal with a setup like that. Also, I would worry about boost back into the compressor and damaging the blower.

96TTdodge 05-18-2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by user_name (Post 1580849854)
I'm not sure I would call that much of a success. I don't think it would equate to much in a race. Maybe you can fine tune it to hit 14psi early and hold it to redline? That would be my goal with a setup like that. Also, I would worry about boost back into the compressor and damaging the blower.

6 more lbs of boost at the exact same RPM for $500 not a success?? Ok. You are right though, I could go to a 3" pulley and hit boost faster and hold it longer - I wanted to play it safe for now.

Worried about back pressure into the compressor?? What are you talking about? There is no back pressure....boost is either used by the motor or blown off via the the wastegate. But thanks for the concern!

JT FRC 00 05-18-2012 05:43 PM

Thanks for sharing your info man, it's not something You see everyday on a centri setup. :thumbs: What type of boost controller are you using now or plan to use in the future? :cheers:

jmuck 05-18-2012 05:54 PM

I'm getting ready to do something similar. I will be adding a waste gate and a AMS1000 w/C02. Doing it for 2 reasons. One so I can run around on 91 and keep the boost turned down and full tilt boogey on race gas. Two to help this thing hook up on the 17's.

user_name 05-18-2012 07:10 PM

I'm just not seeing how this is much, if any, better than the restrictor that ECS uses. You are limiting the blower's potential just like they do to get a better curve. I'd rather rap it out to full boost, especially past peak torque.

If you were doing it for the reasons jmuck mentioned it would make more sense. Stack those numbers again a positive displacement blower and it makes less sense. It make more sense to do the maggie, or go with turbos to accomplish a nice, flat boost curve to me.

96TTdodge 05-18-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by user_name (Post 1580850849)
I'm just not seeing how this is much, if any, better than the restrictor that ECS uses.

The previous numbers were with the ECS restrictor plate setup for ~11psi- They installed it. So hopefully now you can "see how this is any better". :crazy:
I'm just not seeing what you're finding so hard to understand to be honest? How can you possibly argue the results of ~120 HP/TQ gains throughout the powerband with nothing but a small cam and wastegate install? I went from a stock crank pulley & 3.5" blower pulley to an 8" crank and 3.25" blower. Do you really think a restrictor plate change would make boost as quickly as this setup? If you don't like the idea or aren't intelligent enough to understand how it works , then please keep your comments to yourself and observe some other posts. :seeya

96TTdodge 05-18-2012 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by JT FRC 00 (Post 1580850258)
Thanks for sharing your info man, it's not something You see everyday on a centri setup. :thumbs: What type of boost controller are you using now or plan to use in the future? :cheers:

No problem and thanks! Right now I'm just using wastegate spring pressure, no BC. I will try a larger wastegate before adding a boost controller. I've used several different boost controllers in the past with my other cars, so if I do go with one I will probably use a Blitz.

pianoprodigy 05-18-2012 07:51 PM

Keep us posted as you tweak! I have considered something like this in past. I have an F1R on an SBC I'd like to max out more in midrange without doing 30 psi up top.

user_name 05-18-2012 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 96TTdodge (Post 1580851121)
The previous numbers were with the ECS restrictor plate setup for ~11psi- They installed it. So hopefully now you can "see how this is any better". :crazy:
I'm just not seeing what you're finding so hard to understand to be honest? How can you possibly argue the results of ~120 HP/TQ gains throughout the powerband with nothing but a small cam and wastegate install? I went from a stock crank pulley & 3.5" blower pulley to an 8" crank and 3.25" blower. Do you really think a restrictor plate change would make boost as quickly as this setup? If you don't like the idea or aren't intelligent enough to understand how it works , then please keep your comments to yourself and observe some other posts. :seeya

That's probably it. I just don't know what to do with boost on these cars. :thumbs:

Enjoy your maxed out novi 2000 making 615rwhp. :lol:

2003VETT 05-18-2012 09:11 PM

I am in the process of doing this right now. The only reason I am, is for index racing. Every time I need to make a change to the tune to run my number, I have to flash the PCM. Damn computer has been flashed over 700 times in 4 years. One of these days it just wont work anymore!
With the wastegate setup, I can make changes through the boost controller, the tune will not change. Hopefully, it will work. If I didnt race, I would never change the tune...

RamAirTA 05-19-2012 12:47 AM

For those of you who can't seem to understand what the OP is trying to accomplish with his desire to add power under the curve without adding too much more boost, maybe this will help.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ate/index.html