CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Service Active Handling System (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3061968-service-active-handling-system.html)

jrcomer 05-21-2012 06:03 PM

Service Active Handling System

I have a 2008 C6 and since I purchased it new I have had it at least nine times due to the "Service Active Handling System" light. I have had occasions where the brake lights are on constantly. At times when I have jumped on the throttle the indicator light would come on. At other times it happens going slowly in a straight line, twice going 50MPH, once 30MPH and once in a parking lot going about 5MPH. It is at the dealer right now for the third time in one week. They change switches around and once it seemed related to the ABS system but nothing seems to work.
Have others had this experience? Thanks.

ChevyDave 05-21-2012 06:26 PM

i wouldnt say it was common , but LOTS including me have had it (mine went away after 3 days and never has come back). generally reading stored codes (which i think go away if on startup problem isnt there) will give good clue as to the problem. lots of codes and read doc (the expert left) on #10 post which includes tsb for steering wheel position sensor fix & #20...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ng-recall.html

pic of steering column 'comb' for tsb..
http://s680.photobucket.com/albums/v...8.jpg&newest=1

I made a list back when i had SAH and though not all inclusive.. causes of SAH are..
Wheel Speed Sensor
Brake Pedal Position Sensor
Brake Fluid Pressure Sensor
Steering Wheel Position Sensor
Yaw Rate Sensor
Lateral Accelerameter Sensor
or... bad contacts/connectors/wiring one of the above
other fixes reported...
EBCM replaced (rare)
cutouts/loud exhaust actually vibrates the YAW sensor

jrcomer 05-21-2012 08:41 PM

Stability control

I think there was a recall for the 2005-2006 models but nothing for the 2008. I will ask my dealer. Thanks.

ChevyDave 05-21-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jrcomer (Post 1580874531)
I think there was a recall for the 2005-2006 models but nothing for the 2008. I will ask my dealer. Thanks.

you are correct no recall for comb... but tsb for a fix is still valid as a corrective action if code points to loose connection. lots of other codes in that post #10 doc that points to other corrective action

Bill Dearborn 05-21-2012 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by jrcomer (Post 1580873298)
They change switches around and once it seemed related to the ABS system but nothing seems to work.
Have others had this experience? Thanks.

Any Active Handling issue is related to the ABS since it is part of the ABS as is Traction Control.

From your description the light is coming on but you haven't had any inadvertent activations of Active Handling where it applies one of the front brakes to change direction? The recall was about fixing an issue with inadvertent activation. Since you are only getting a Service AH message that means it is limited to the AH portions of the ABS system. If you had all 3 Service Messages it would be related to some part of the system that all 3 functions use. AH only messages are usually related to the Steering Sensor, lateral G/yaw sensors their wiring or the portions of the EBCM related to those.

Bill

Mjeffers05 06-11-2012 02:42 AM

Service Active Handling

The service light for my 2005 C6 came on tonight while driving approximately 5 MPH across a store parking lot. Is this something to be worried about or another costly trip to the dealer ?

ChevyDave 06-11-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mjeffers05 (Post 1581040903)
The service light for my 2005 C6 came on tonight while driving approximately 5 MPH across a store parking lot. Is this something to be worried about or another costly trip to the dealer ?

expensive... maybe. will it go away on its own.. did on mine. it totally depends on the problem. are you safe.. yes in that the car wont try to "save you" when it isnt supposed to.
putting a couple links here. i think the first link is how to read codes on a 2005 (i think). second is just some info i have put together from Bill (above) and others.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-codes-c5.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/test...0725-test.html
note in above link, near bottom (in green) about 2005/2006 recall for specific code for specific cases.

Bill Dearborn 06-11-2012 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=ChevyDave;1581043186]
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-codes-c5.html

/QUOTE]

Alas, the C5 method will not work on the C6. Too bad since it was a great way to find out what was wrong with a car.

Bill

ryoder 06-15-2012 10:43 PM

I am having this problem at work when driving over speed bumps in the parking garage. Sometimes the light comes on and sometimes the light comes on and I feel the brakes engaging or something like that.
I have a 2008 A6 with 31k miles.
Its out of bumper to bumper I guess so should I take it in or try to fix it myself?
It only seems to happen when I go over speed bumps.

ChevyDave 06-16-2012 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ryoder (Post 1581083492)
I am having this problem at work when driving over speed bumps in the parking garage. Sometimes the light comes on and sometimes the light comes on and I feel the brakes engaging or something like that.
I have a 2008 A6 with 31k miles.
Its out of bumper to bumper I guess so should I take it in or try to fix it myself?
It only seems to happen when I go over speed bumps.

absolutely get it fixed. first of all, the SAH msg must be on when you turn off the car to have codes read. here is a link i made. note there are many reasons for SAH so how likely you can fix totally depends on the problem...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/test...0725-test.html

bonnell 07-02-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1580875032)
Any Active Handling issue is related to the ABS since it is part of the ABS as is Traction Control.

From your description the light is coming on but you haven't had any inadvertent activations of Active Handling where it applies one of the front brakes to change direction? The recall was about fixing an issue with inadvertent activation. Since you are only getting a Service AH message that means it is limited to the AH portions of the ABS system. If you had all 3 Service Messages it would be related to some part of the system that all 3 functions use. AH only messages are usually related to the Steering Sensor, lateral G/yaw sensors their wiring or the portions of the EBCM related to those.

Bill

Last Tuesday morning as I started rolling out of my driveway "Service Active Handling System" displayed in the DIC. I stopped at a point further down the street and restarted the car. The message displayed again and remained on for the drive to work. That afternoon the message did not display all the way home.

This repeated the next two days that I drove the car.The message displayed in the morning and not in the afternoon. One morning I stopped to rinse the car off after several miles of driving. When I finished and restarted the car the message displayed again. Of course the message did not display that afternoon.

Yesterday I took it out for a drive at 2:00PM. It was close to 100 and no lights. The messaged displayed. When I got into town, at about the same place that I rinsed the car a few days earlier, I stopped and restarted the car. The message did not reappear for the remainder of the drive.

The car is a 2008 3LT, Z51, NAV, NPP with less than 17,000 miles. No other problems at all.

The conditions are in the morning upper 70s and the lights are on. In the afternoon temps are 100 or above and no lights.

This morning the message appeared so I dropped the car off at the dealership. They called and said that the steering column sensor (or something to that effect) was "shorted". They have one in stock and apparently have to take the column apart to replace it. The repair cost is $478.

I'm glad it was not the EBCM.:thumbs:

Zap City 07-02-2012 01:36 PM

Speed wheel sensor on mine went bad yesterday. At the dealer first thing this morning and they are ordering a new hub due here tomorrow. Hope I'm back up by the 4th.

bonnell 07-02-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Zap City (Post 1581214905)
Speed wheel sensor on mine went bad yesterday. At the dealer first thing this morning and they are ordering a new hub due here tomorrow. Hope I'm back up by the 4th.

I just got mine back a few minutes ago. The sensor part was $97 and the labor was $350. Of course then there is the fee for shop stuff and tax for a total of $513.

It could have been worse. :D I'm glad to have it back the same day. Good luck with yours.:thumbs:

EVRose 07-02-2012 03:34 PM

I was coming to a stop at a light about a week ago going about 5mph and got a chime. I looked down at the DIC and almost before I could finish reading what it said it went away. Service Active Handling. No brakes were applied and nothing out of the norm happened. It just flashed on the DIC for about 2 seconds and went away and has never come back. That's the first time I've got any kind of service warning. I'm not going to worry about it unless it starts happening again.

Zap City 07-02-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by bonnell (Post 1581215732)
I just got mine back a few minutes ago. The sensor part was $97 and the labor was $350. Of course then there is the fee for shop stuff and tax for a total of $513.

It could have been worse. :D I'm glad to have it back the same day. Good luck with yours.:thumbs:

Mine is covered under warranty, but they are actually changing the entire hub.

alltexan 09-24-2013 09:35 AM

Service Active Handling Message

I too had this issue during a 9 hr road trip to Wisconsin. First the cruise control disengaged, then the SAH message came up. Researched the forum and thought it was the Body Control Module. The culprit was a faulty brake switch sensor. $35 part, $285 total bill including diagnostic time. All good.... Mike
:cheers:

franman69 09-24-2013 06:04 PM

This SAH message has popped up on my DIC recently as well. As I track the car, and I installed spindle ducts and cooling hoses up front this year I suspected the wheel speed sensor wire harnesses (as these need to be relocated for the spindle duct install)... after reading a lot about the issue, I figured I would try and eliminate the easy stuff before I got around to jacking up the car, pulling the front wheels off, etc... I reprogrammed my telescoping steering wheel to stay put when I get out of the car (instead of retracting all the way to make extra room for my exit) and it hasn't happened again since... about two weeks. I guess it the 'comb' fix for me, but I suggest you program your steering wheel to stay put first assuming you have a telescoping wheel and it is programmed to move when you get in and out, before anything else.... just my ten cents. It is a potentially serious issue, and it does need to be resolved.

WhiteDevil828 09-24-2013 10:09 PM

Happened to me once on my 07. Disconnected the battery, then reconnected it and the message went away and hasn't come back since. That was about 4 months ago. Probably jinxed myself. I'll find out tomorrow : (

Bill Dearborn 09-25-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by franman69 (Post 1585000540)
This SAH message has popped up on my DIC recently as well. As I track the car, and I installed spindle ducts and cooling hoses up front this year I suspected the wheel speed sensor wire harnesses (as these need to be relocated for the spindle duct install)... after reading a lot about the issue, I figured I would try and eliminate the easy stuff before I got around to jacking up the car, pulling the front wheels off, etc... I reprogrammed my telescoping steering wheel to stay put when I get out of the car (instead of retracting all the way to make extra room for my exit) and it hasn't happened again since... about two weeks. I guess it the 'comb' fix for me, but I suggest you program your steering wheel to stay put first assuming you have a telescoping wheel and it is programmed to move when you get in and out, before anything else.... just my ten cents. It is a potentially serious issue, and it does need to be resolved.

A couple of thoughts on this. If you screw up something with the wheel speed sensors you cause all 3 functions of the ABS system to fail. So if you don't see 3 service messages the problem isn't caused by a wheel speed sensor. The recall with the comb prevented fretting of the contacts in the steering sensor connector. Once the comb is installed or if you have a 09 or newer car (with a different sensor/connector) you don't really have to worry about the issue.

Also from a recall standpoint when you see the Service Active Handling message the dangerous point has already occurred. The inadvertent activation of the active handling system occurred due to a marginal steering sensor signal (caused by the fretting) being sent to the EBCM that didn't detect the signal as being out of range. Once the EBCM reacted to the signal it detected the signal was out of range, shut down Active Handling and displayed the message. This all occurred in a fraction of a second so some people thought the message caused the sudden activation. When you see the message the system is shut off until the next ignition cycle.

Due to not having tire pressure sensors in my track wheels I disconnect my steering sensor so the car doesn't try and slow it down to 55 mph in turns. I have a continuous Service Active Handling message for days on end until I reconnect the sensor. AH doesn't activate and the EBCM doesn't apply both front brakes when I go into a turn at 100 mph.

Bill

franman69 09-25-2013 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1585008414)
A couple of thoughts on this. If you screw up something with the wheel speed sensors you cause all 3 functions of the ABS system to fail. So if you don't see 3 service messages the problem isn't caused by a wheel speed sensor. The recall with the comb prevented fretting of the contacts in the steering sensor connector. Once the comb is installed or if you have a 09 or newer car (with a different sensor/connector) you don't really have to worry about the issue.

Also from a recall standpoint when you see the Service Active Handling message the dangerous point has already occurred. The inadvertent activation of the active handling system occurred due to a marginal steering sensor signal (caused by the fretting) being sent to the EBCM that didn't detect the signal as being out of range. Once the EBCM reacted to the signal it detected the signal was out of range, shut down Active Handling and displayed the message. This all occurred in a fraction of a second so some people thought the message caused the sudden activation. When you see the message the system is shut off until the next ignition cycle.

Due to not having tire pressure sensors in my track wheels I disconnect my steering sensor so the car doesn't try and slow it down to 55 mph in turns. I have a continuous Service Active Handling message for days on end until I reconnect the sensor. AH doesn't activate and the EBCM doesn't apply both front brakes when I go into a turn at 100 mph.

Bill

Bill.. thanks for the insight on the wheel speed sensors. The reason I explained is why I suspect the steering column connector. Also, my DIC Message "Service Active Handling" has always occurred after the startup self-test sequence... never while in motion. This is of course, right after the steering column has telescoped out (for whatever that's worth). I still haven't seen it since I programmed the steering column to stay put... My car is a 2007 (not under the recall bulletin) but I was thinking the 'comb' would still be applicable to my car. Do you know if it is??? :thumbs: