CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   check engine light on ???? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3069876-check-engine-light-on.html)

spice 06-04-2012 02:07 PM

check engine light on ????

hi,

the "check engine lite" is on steady in my 06 vert. the manual says it may be the gas cap. the "check gas cap" lite did come on the dic. retightened it a couple of times, check engine lite still on steady. manual says it may have to be driven a few times before it goes away.

anybody else experience this. should i be concerned

thnks spice

DSOMC6 06-04-2012 02:43 PM

Personally I'd never drive one of these cars with a CEL until I was certain it was safe to do so or fixed the problem. A lean engine code could spell trouble.

A few options: a) cross your fingers, drive it, HOPE the issue corrects itself and the CEL goes away. b) Take it to a mechanic. c) scan it, look up or ask what the code could mean. Clear code or fix issue.

I'd go with c before I'd drive the car very far or very hard.

AHW219 06-04-2012 02:44 PM

Couple of weeks ago I've had the check engine light come on. Tightened the gas cap but light wouldn't go away. If I recall correctly I've read in the tech section here that it takes 40 cycles for the code to clear. I didn't want to wait to confirm so I just bought ODBII/CAN code reader. Checked the code and cleared it. Light never came back on.

If you don't want to purchase the code reader, you can borrow one at Autozone.

talon90 06-04-2012 02:49 PM

If you can get your codes read, that would be the best place to start.

Granted the number one cause of the check engine light is the gas cap. If in fact your DIC did display "Check Gas Cap" then that is also your likely cause.

There are different levels of leak associated with a loose gas cap. The smallest will alert you to check the gas cap, the worst will illuminate the check engine light. Once the leak has gotten to the point of having set the light, it can take as many as 3 consecutive ignition cycles to clear the error and it will take 40 to clear the history code. Likely code for a loose/leaking gas cap is P0442.

You may still have a problem with your gas cap or the gasket seal. If that's the case, it may appear seated but in fact still leaking.

Don't over-tighten the cap, place it on, give it a turn through three clicks. Don't press down on the cap while putting it on. Set it in place and turn it, don't press on it. Try some o-ring lubricant on the gasket at the base of the cap. If all else fails, consider a new gas cap.

c6miller 06-04-2012 02:56 PM

Just happened on my 2007 Avalanche. My son took it to Florida and forgot to tighten the cap when he got gas. I took it to the Chevy dealer, the service advisor got the tech II cleared the light and I put on a new cap just to be sure.

DSOMC6 06-04-2012 02:58 PM

When the cap went bad in my 06 (kinda pi$$ed me off to have to replace a gas cap after 4yrs?) I got the "Service Fuel System" msg every couple days rather than a CEL. Cap also wasn't clicking after twisting on.

Another part I've listed on the "cheap crappy materials" list. :willy:

ChevyDave 06-04-2012 03:43 PM

most autoparts places can read your code(s). post them here if you dont know what they mean.

BigJoe 06-04-2012 03:58 PM

I had the same light and the gas cap was, in fact, loose. It took 2-3 weeks of starts before the light shut off. (It's a daily driver.)

JoesC5 06-04-2012 04:30 PM

Stop by AutoZone. They will read the codes for free. Then you will actually know what's causing the CEL, instead of guessing. They will give you a printout that gives the normal causes for the codes you have.

50 4Ever 06-04-2012 04:33 PM

If you have OnStar hit the blue button and ask them if it is safe to drive. If not Autozone is a good option.

:cheers:

Bill Dearborn 06-04-2012 04:40 PM

It is rare that a CEL indicates a problem that will damage the engine or indicates it is impossible to drive the car. It's main purpose is to alert you to the fact you are polluting the air. My car threw a manifold pressure code that turned on the CEL but I already knew there was something wrong since it quit and was pouring steam out of both exhaust pipes due to dropping an exhaust valve which is what caused the pressure code.

Bill

talon90 06-04-2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1580986977)
It is rare that a CEL indicates a problem that will damage the engine or indicates it is impossible to drive the car. It's main purpose is to alert you to the fact you are polluting the air. My car threw a manifold pressure code that turned on the CEL but I already knew there was something wrong since it quit and was pouring steam out of both exhaust pipes due to dropping an exhaust valve which is what caused the pressure code.

Bill

:rofl: (not laughing at your predicament with the exhaust valve...that sucks, just at your delivery.)

JoesC5 06-04-2012 05:02 PM

Even having a bad solenoid in the CAGS will turn on the CEL(P0803 code), which has nothing to do with the emissions, but with saving (LOL) gas.

spice 06-04-2012 06:43 PM

as usual thnks for the great replys. doesn't seem like a big problem - hopefully - but i will take it someplace - autozone - and get the code read. again thnks

spice 06-04-2012 06:48 PM

thnks again for the great replys. doesn't seem like a big problem -hopefully - but i will take it someplace - autozone- and get the code read . again many thnks. spice

Voytek 06-04-2012 09:49 PM

Have autozone erase it for you. Or ask them if you can erase it.

If it doesn't come bak on, gas cap. Used to happen all the time in my ctsV.

All2Easy 06-04-2012 11:12 PM

If the CEL ever starts blinking, shut her down as soon as safely possible.

Blinking CEL could mean something pretty serious if not checked into quickly.