CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   can you emulate an LS engine using a Gen I block.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3079829-can-you-emulate-an-ls-engine-using-a-gen-i-block.html)

wmf62 06-21-2012 01:19 PM

can you emulate an LS engine using a Gen I block....

i realize the LS parts won't fit a Gen I, but can similar heads/pistons/intakes/electronics be used to get the wizzbang of an LS engine?
Bill

MiguelsC2 06-21-2012 02:11 PM

A good fabricator can make or fit almost anything. The questions should be, why would you want to and is it cost effective?

:eek:

wmf62 06-21-2012 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2 (Post 1581127159)
A good fabricator can make or fit almost anything. The questions should be, why would you want to and is it cost effective?

:eek:

the real question is 'why not'.... in my simple mind it's a heck of a lot more cost effective and easier than the conversions required to fit an LS in a C1,2,3 or 4.

there may be a lot more improvements that are possible for a Gen I engine if one thinks outside the box.
Bill

Chuck Gongloff 06-21-2012 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1581127308)
the real question is 'why not'.... in my simple mind it's a heck of a lot more cost effective and easier than the conversions required to fit an LS in a C1,2,3 or 4.

there may be a lot more improvements that are possible for a Gen I engine if one thinks outside the box.
Bill

Your car looks great "as is". It also performs great "as is".

Why mess with success? :D

Buy a street rod to play with. :)

Chuck

NOM61 06-21-2012 02:40 PM

Bill,
Motown makes a block that accepts LS heads and intakes. Here's an old article on it:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html

DT

wmf62 06-21-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff (Post 1581127329)

Buy a street rod to play with. :)

Chuck

Chuck
i had lunch at Taco Bell, i guess that's what caused me to 'think outside the box"...
:thumbs:
Bill

MiguelsC2 06-21-2012 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by NOM61 (Post 1581127410)
Bill,
Motown makes a block that accepts LS heads and intakes. Here's an old article on it:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html

DT

Very interesting!:thumbs:

Chuck Gongloff 06-21-2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1581127722)
Chuck
i had lunch at Taco Bell, i guess that's what caused me to 'think outside the box"...
Bill

Well, they say that "an idle mind is the devil's workshop". :D So, it's good that you've been thinking, inside OR outside the box.

AND, they also say that "busy hands are happy hands". :D

Knowing you, it looks like a new power plant is in your future.

Gotta keep those hands busy. :thumbs:

Chuck

Fawndeuce 06-21-2012 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff (Post 1581127329)

Chuck

You know Bill way better than I do Chuck, so ya 'gotta you know that his need to continuously mess with it is just more powerful than he is. :lol:

:cheers:

Paul

wmf62 06-21-2012 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce (Post 1581128520)
You know Bill way better than I do Chuck, so ya 'gotta you know that his need to continuously mess with it is just more powerful than he is. :lol:

Paul

Bill

Fawndeuce 06-21-2012 06:15 PM

http://www.ladywholunches.net/blog/w...o_1428487c.jpg

:D

Paul

Chuck Gongloff 06-21-2012 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce (Post 1581128520)

Paul

Bill, you need to buy ANOTHER project. :D

Can't keep messin' with the same one. "Put a fork in it. It's done". :D

And, since I'm quoting a lot of old adages in this thread..............

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". :D

Chuck

wmf62 06-21-2012 06:19 PM

i think i'll go to Saskatoon instead....

:auto:

Bill

Chuck Gongloff 06-21-2012 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1581129078)
i think i'll go to Saskatoon instead....

:auto:

Bill

Or Katmandu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbqGubZmgo

wmf62 06-21-2012 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:woohoo:

uxojerry 06-21-2012 10:17 PM

You can get can get computer controlled EFI and after market heads for a Gen 1 small block and get similar performance to an LS motor. The down side is the parts are kind of pricey. The upside is there will be fewer electronic and computer glitches than an LS installation.

Popular Hot Rodding has a good series of articles on Building The Anti-LS Motor. They build a Gen 1 SBC and with high quality after market products and get performance numbers better than an LS crate motor.

LS conversions are heavily documented during the installation. Problems after the installation are not documented as well. Engine management problems can be difficult to identify and expensive to fix.

Im not knocking LS motors and my next build will use one. Im just saying they can have their own set of problems.

wmf62 06-22-2012 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1581130990)
You can get can get computer controlled EFI and after market heads for a Gen 1 small block and get similar performance to an LS motor. The down side is the parts are kind of pricey. The upside is there will be fewer electronic and computer glitches than an LS installation.

Popular Hot Rodding has a good series of articles on Building The Anti-LS Motor. They build a Gen 1 SBC and with high quality after market products and get performance numbers better than an LS crate motor.

LS conversions are heavily documented during the installation. Problems after the installation are not documented as well. Engine management problems can be difficult to identify and expensive to fix.

Im not knocking LS motors and my next build will use one. Im just saying they can have their own set of problems.

thank you.. that answers the performance side of the equation, how about economy/efficiency?
Bill

bb62 06-22-2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1581132353)
thank you.. that answers the performance side of the equation, how about economy/efficiency?
Bill

Of course you can hod rod just about any engine to get HP/torque improvements. Economy and efficiency (and quality) improvements will likely require more than the Gen 1 engine is capable of. The LS bottom end is considerably stiffer than the Gen 1. The stiffness allows for much better high RPM operation. And the LS uses materials and coatings that cannot be used in the older design. Sure some of the technologies can be utilized, but you won't get the total system to perform like an LS without virtually making it an LS.

uxojerry 06-22-2012 10:49 AM

The LS motor has a wider V angle allowing for larger heads and better airflow. Besides a performance advantage from bigger heads, the rest is simply computer controlled timing and fuel injection. An SBC with computer controlled EFI can get equivalent fuel economy to an LS motor.

bb62 06-22-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1581134112)
The LS motor has a wider V angle allowing for larger heads and better airflow. Besides a performance advantage from bigger heads, the rest is simply computer controlled timing and fuel injection. An SBC with computer controlled EFI can get equivalent fuel economy to an LS motor.

No on both accounts. The LS has a 90 degree bank angle. Otherwise, it would be nearly impossible to balance. And there are so many block improvements on the LS compared to the Gen 1 engines that just slapping EFI on a SBC will not get you the same fuel economy. Where do you get this stuff?