CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Lubricate tachometer and speedometer cable. What to use and how much? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3081982-lubricate-tachometer-and-speedometer-cable-what-to-use-and-how-much.html)

TheSaint 06-25-2012 11:15 AM

Lubricate tachometer and speedometer cable. What to use and how much?

What do you use when you lubricate the tachometer and speedometer cable?
Also how much lube do you use on the tacho(i do not want the lube getting inside the gauge)

54greg 06-25-2012 12:24 PM

The lube migrates up so I apply at the distributor or trans end and not to the last 5 inches. Cable lube purchased from Corvette Central works great and I've also used wheel bearing grease with good results.:thumbs:

Mike67nv 06-25-2012 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheSaint (Post 1581157005)
Also how much lube do you use on the tacho(i do not want the lube getting inside the gauge)

I like KABLE-EASE by AGS. I get it from Ace Hardware here. It’s a graphite based lube that comes in a .5oz tube for under $3. Use it sparingly. One tube is enough to lube your tach and speedo several times.

http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/automotive/160

TheSaint 06-25-2012 12:54 PM

54greg. The lube from CorvetteCentral is that also white Lithium grease?

Mike67nv. I see so it is white lithium grease that is the thing to use for lubrication

Mike67nv 06-25-2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheSaint (Post 1581157882)

Mike67nv. I see so it is white lithium grease that is the thiing to use for lubrication

No, it's a graphite based lube - more like an oil than grease - and it's black. I pull the cables out from the cluster end.

65 vette dude 06-25-2012 01:04 PM

A speedo shop told me they use nothing but a thin coat of wheel bearing grease. They also warned me not to use white lithium grease. As mentioned above, don't lube the last 6 inch's of cable on the end where it goes into gauges. You can also purchase those 90 degree elbow connectors that goes on the distributor, and the tranny, that helps smooth out the bends in the cables. They have zert fitting on them that makes lubing the cables a 5 minute job. :thumbs:

Bluestripe67 06-25-2012 01:16 PM

Using a 90 degree device at the distributor is a clear indicator that it is NOT phased correctly. :cheers: Dennis

TheSaint 06-25-2012 03:44 PM

I thought that when lubricate the tachometer cable you just loosened the cable on the distibutor and put a small amount of lube in there
Somehow i thought that the lube would work its way towards the gauge :hide:

54greg 06-25-2012 03:55 PM

Not alternator, I think you mean distibutor. You need to pull the cable out and lube all but the last 5-6 inches of the gauge side end.

TheSaint 06-25-2012 04:02 PM

Of course i mean the distibutor. I suppose it would work kind of strange hooking the tacho cable to the alternator. It have to be a long cable as well:D

Thanks for telling me :thumbs:

Originally Posted by 54greg (Post 1581159251)
Not alternator, I think you mean distibutor. You need to pull the cable out and lube all but the last 5-6 inches of the gauge side end.

Ron Miller 06-25-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheSaint (Post 1581157005)

Also, in case it hasn't been mentioned, both the speedometer and tachometer cable housings have to be disconnected at the instrument cluster in order to remove the cables for lubrication. Not a job I look forward to . . . . .

:ack:

TheSaint 06-25-2012 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay i see. I suppose that you must take out the cluster to be able to loosen the speedo and tacho cable so that makes it a little more work

I borrowed this picture from Jackfit on how he does it to get access behind the cluster. I suppose doing it like Jack saves quite some work?

How often do you lube the cables?

isac 06-25-2012 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you get a 90´ adapter on the tranny It's a piece of cake to lube the cable as mentioned earlier , no need to remove the cable from the cluster

Get a spare adapter for the tach when you lube that cable and remove it when your'e done. :thumbs:

I had a "whirring" sound and a jumping needle in my tach and 1 shot with a grease gun was enough.

Attachment 48146867

TheSaint 06-25-2012 05:12 PM

Who sells that adapter?

Originally Posted by isac (Post 1581159853)
If you get a 90´ adapter on the tranny It's a piece of cake to lube the cable as mentioned earlier , no need to remove the cable from the cluster

Get a spare adapter for the tach when you lube that cable and remove it when your'e done. :thumbs:

I had a "whirring" sound and a jumping needle in my tach and 1 shot with a grease gun was enough.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...r/DSC_0179.jpg

isac 06-26-2012 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheSaint (Post 1581159905)
Who sells that adapter?

I think most vendors have them but I got mine from here , more info here

Peter

abe g 06-28-2012 11:50 AM

Plain dengine oil for speedometer and tach cable

As the original owner of a 63swc I have had one speedometer cable replacement in all these years. Since then I used engine oil (30) once or twice to lube these cables. Keep the kinks out of your cables and this will be more than satisfactory. Regards, Abe G

INMYBLOOD 06-28-2012 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheSaint (Post 1581159298)
Of course i mean the distibutor. I suppose it would work kind of strange hooking the tacho cable to the alternator. It have to be a long cable as well:D

Thanks for telling me :thumbs:

Hey, that's the way my original was. Tach was from the back of the Generator through a gear reduction unit to the gauge. Electronics made all the mechanical parts unnecessary.

wmf62 06-28-2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD (Post 1581184214)
Hey, that's the way my original was. Tach was from the back of the Generator through a gear reduction unit to the gauge. Electronics made all the mechanical parts unnecessary.

AND, they make/made a tach drive alternator that some on the forum have used as a replacement for their tach drive generators.
:thumbs:
Bill

TheSaint 06-29-2012 11:43 AM

Much of the reason i ask about this is because that since i bought my car back in 1993 and i have never lubed either the tacho or speedo cable.
Never had any problems and they work perfect.

Now that i see how often you lube the cables i suppose it is time for me to do that job :hide:

mike16 06-29-2012 10:43 PM

lots of cables in aircraft. Aircraft spruce and specialty Inc sels an FAA aproved cable lube that works in very hot and very cold climates.