CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   This is what can happen while on a cell phone/texting when driving! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3092556-this-is-what-can-happen-while-on-a-cell-phone-texting-when-driving.html)

DZAUTO 07-13-2012 12:05 PM

This is what can happen while on a cell phone/texting when driving!

An acquaintance of mine who owns a restoration/body shop was doing a test drive of a GTO which was nearing final restoration (happened Tue).
A kid in a Toyota pickup, TEXTING, never touched his brakes. The kid had insurance and there were 4 witnesses that stopped and will testify. Of course, the kid denied he was texting.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...O/100_0638.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...O/100_0640.jpg

This Ram Air 442 is some of his work (The Chevelle is mine).
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...O/100_0641.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...O/100_0642.jpg

TURN YOUR DAMN CELL PHONES OFF WHILE DRIVING, OR, PULL OFF THE ROAD TO USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Parsons

dirkdaddy 07-13-2012 12:51 PM

ouch!! That insurance check is going to be bigggg one, still Id rather have the GTO. Dang, that sucks. Hope the text was a good one. Oh and prefer the classic paint on your car, the Olds is a bit much unless you like that sort of thing.

hedgehead 07-13-2012 01:25 PM

Dayum, not cool. Love that GTO.

Is that vinyl graphics on the Olds?

66jack 07-13-2012 01:35 PM

THAT'S JUST "FN" SICKENING...:ack:

Pilot Dan 07-13-2012 01:43 PM

Even the best driver is defenseless from being hit from the rear by a distracted individual. All you can do is wear your seat belt and pray. The texting thing has gotten out of control in these parts. It's illegal here in NJ to text and drive, but I see little being done to enforce it :toetap:

Viking427 07-13-2012 02:34 PM

No worries, Texting's days are numbered. Our culture has completely underestimated teenager's preference to avoid the slightest amount of extra effort & physical labor over their fear of engaging in one on one personel interaction. Texting will eventually take its proper place as a mere fond memory of yesteryear's whimsical fads, right along side WasteBook and countless others.

Besides, they've found a way to actually speak and hear through them now at just the touch of a button, making communication light years faster and more efficient (some scientist named AG Bell), If'n y'all could point me toward that IPO.

DansYellow66 07-13-2012 02:50 PM

I hope your buddy was OK. That looks like it could do some serious whilplash or worse to someone.

It makes you wish they would put scramblers in cars that make it impossible to get cell phone (and 3/4G and WiFi) reception when the car is in motion - but I can hear all the complaints from housewives and business men now. :rofl:

DZAUTO 07-13-2012 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by DansYellow66 (Post 1581306625)
I hope your buddy was OK. That looks like it could do some serious whilplash or worse to someone.

It makes you wish they would put scramblers in cars that make it impossible to get cell phone (and 3/4G and WiFi) reception when the car is in motion - but I can hear all the complaints from housewives and business men now. :rofl:

There have been several times when I've observed women talking/texting on their cell phones and I honk and tell them to put down the phone. The women just flip me off!!! The men get indignant and/or ignore me. I once got a cop (off duty) to pull over and I read him the riot act for texting during 5pm traffic. Man, was he hot!!! As soon as I got home, I called his supervisor and explained the whole event, gave him the cop's name and badge number. Three days later the cop's chief called me, told me that he had a "visit" with the cop and now the cop has a better understanding about not texting and driving. I must admit that the whole time I was chewing the cop's ass out, I was terrified, but I just hung in there. :thumbs:

Tom Parsons

Kerrmudgeon 07-13-2012 03:13 PM

Ohhhhh.....My NECK, aughhhhh! :cry: >>>> http://s6.tinypic.com/2nhomkw_th.jpg

My Brother's 72 442 ragtop is just like that one. :thumbs:

cor66vette 07-13-2012 03:25 PM

Distraction is anything that takes away from concentrating while driving. I'm pretty sure that driving while distracted in any form- texting, eating, reading a map, etc., is against the law! It's stupid to individually name a distraction by name- that leaves the ole loophole.

65silververt 07-13-2012 03:31 PM

That is terrible! Im sure the text was super important. I recently bought a new, safer car with side air bags because i have almost been hit by people texting several times in the past year.
I saw a girl just yesterday blow through a traffic light that was red at a major intersection without even tapping her brakes. fortunately, the people coming off the interstate saw her coming and did not pull out. She stopped at the next light, but i dont think she ever realized that she ran through other traffic light.

Years ago, when i was on the way home from picking up a puppy, a girl rolled her brand new 4runner in front of me. This was before the days of texting and just when smaller compact cell phones became popular. The girl was fine, although she rolled her 4runner 3 times. what caused her to wreck, she was typing her moms number into her phone, so same thing as texting, more or less.

several of the cities surrounding my area have made it illegal to text and drive. if you get caught, it is a $500.00 fine. Granted, it will be hard to prove that someone is texting, but still, its a step in the right direction.

KC John 07-13-2012 03:43 PM

All smart phones have GPS capabilities now. I wish they would pass a law that says that cell phones must not operate if they are moving more than 5-7 mph.

We have the technology to make that happen tomorrow, but I guess not enough people have died yet. Just telling someone not to do it, can never work. We have to take it out of the individuals hands because 8 out of 10 will find a way if they are left a way.

c1j1c2 07-13-2012 03:46 PM

Hope the guy asked the LEO to look at the guys phone to examine the time of the texts on it.

1974purchase 07-13-2012 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan (Post 1581306014)
Even the best driver is defenseless from being hit from the rear by a distracted individual. All you can do is wear your seat belt and pray. The texting thing has gotten out of control in these parts. It's illegal here in NJ to text and drive, but I see little being done to enforce it :toetap:

i was rear ended in the first six months of owning the car (before cell phones). it was a car load of young men in their dads' cadillac. it does not take much to be distracted. i read recently that just talking on the cell is equal to driving at .08 alcohol. when i take my car to the local friday night show i ask my son or wife to follow me.

champs65 07-13-2012 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by KC John (Post 1581307037)
All smart phones have GPS capabilities now. I wish they would pass a law that says that cell phones must not operate if they are moving more than 5-7 mph.

We have the technology to make that happen tomorrow, but I guess not enough people have died yet. Just telling someone not to do it, can never work. We have to take it out of the individuals hands because 8 out of 10 will find a way if they are left a way.

:iagree:

I shudder to think what an older corvette (and the occupants) would look like after a hit like that from the pickup.

Geez, put the phone down for Gods' sake!:bs

cor66vette 07-13-2012 04:17 PM

... I wish they would pass a law that says that cell phones must not operate if they are moving more than 5-7 mph. ...

Hmmm! I don't know about that, KC- We have enough laws on the books. It's time to enforce the ones we already have. :thumbs:

1974purchase 07-13-2012 04:35 PM

do not wait for the insurance companies to do anything about it. the more accidents, the more profit.

mrg 07-13-2012 05:07 PM

For all the problems texting, etc. causes that sounds like a law most folks could live with.

Man o' man that GTO got clobbered:eek:

nassau66427 07-13-2012 05:55 PM

Man, that really sucks...

But it does allow one to see all the really thick 'paint' on the car. :hide:

zardun 07-13-2012 06:38 PM

KC John - You might give your rule a little more thought. This weekend we were coming down from the mountains and we ran into a bad stretch of traffic. My son went to his smart phone, checked the traffic conditions and we altered our route appropriately. Very helpful. He also was our personal DJ running the music from his phone through our system. Fortunately, we like the same kinds of music.
The law - we seem to have so many of them - might work if you could enable your phone after crossing your heart and swearing you were not driving. Then we can work on another law for iPads and GPS systems enabling only voice operated systems etc, etc, etc,.