CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Northern California (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northern-california-126/)
-   -   Hot San Jose Nights - Saw A Very Sad Situation Today And Hoping We Can Help Out (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/northern-california/3093398-hot-san-jose-nights-saw-a-very-sad-situation-today-and-hoping-we-can-help-out.html)

Grzldvt1 07-15-2012 04:38 AM

Hot San Jose Nights - Saw A Very Sad Situation Today And Hoping We Can Help Out

During a quiet time I noticed a couple coming down the aisle. A young lady was pushing a young man(18-2?) in a wheel chair and his lower legs were missing. My first reaction was a victim of an IED in Afghanistan. But not wanting to cause any discomfort I just observed.

I had a Red C6 right out in front of me and the guy in the chair was so excited to see one, he had the young lady(as it turns out was his wife) take pictures and wheel him around the car so he could inspect it.

I had several people come up to me at the same time to discuss services, etc and I lost track of him. About 4 hours later, I see what could be his Mother and Father wheeling him down the aisle and stop to take more pictures of him by the Vette. She had a hard time getting a full picture with her phone and was bumping into my table. I invited her to come behind my table, so she could get the shot she wanted. Then I asked her if she would like to be in a picture. She was just incredibly excited that I was willing to help out, I was a bit shocked.
I asked if he had an interest in Corvettes, and she told me he absolutely loved them.
She then told me the story of his injury. Let me tell you it was heart wrenching and emotional.
I told her I have a Corvette and when he is ready(He suffered some brain damage, but is recovering), I will take him for a ride anywhere he wants to go. I told her Yosemite is not out of the question:thumbs:
I gave her my card and insisted she call me when he was ready. She was a bit reluctant to give me her information, and based on the situation, I didn't press to hard.
Having lost a very, very close family friend on Christmas Day two years ago to an IED in Afghanistan, this really hit home with me.
His Mother was in tears when I told her I insisted in taking him for a ride and spending time with him to show appreciation for his ultimate sacrifice.
She told me he was the first set of Paramedics heading to a Navy Seal Helicopter crash, that made the news about two months ago. He was driving a HUMVEE and the IED was on the drivers side of the road. He was the only one really seriously injured and almost died. All of the other Paramedics were unharmed.
Bottom line, if she contacts me, I would really like to have as many of us GTG as possible and really show some support.
Not sure she will but am hoping it happens.

BoostedEBZ06 07-15-2012 06:07 AM

Wow, awesome story and good on you!

That really hits home with me being in military and almost losing my childhood best friend a year ago in Iraq to an IED luckily he was able to almost make a full recovery.

It would be great if she contacted you and you could give him a ride. Possibly have a GTG maybe even a charity event? Well if this happens I probably won't be home for it but sure would be cool.

:flag:

Zoxxo 07-15-2012 06:41 AM

I'm in, Steve. Let us know. :flag: :thumbs::thumbs:

Z//

Boomer111 07-15-2012 10:01 AM

Nice thought and would be cool to see it come to life.

Frankly though I would have been in tears hearing the story.

All this war collateral damage is sickening.

folsomlarry 07-15-2012 11:12 AM

Great story and keep us posted for the event date.

csun213 07-15-2012 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by folsomlarry (Post 1581318981)

:iagree: I would also be interested in attending.

94Ad Blue 07-15-2012 01:04 PM

Count this old army cobra helicopter gunship pilot in....

doje 07-15-2012 01:29 PM

Absolutely count me in - as well as dozens I could easily round up from SCC. If / when he's up for it, we could also get him some seriously fun ride-alongs at an SCC autocross in Marina. :flag:

GotCorvette? 07-15-2012 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by doje (Post 1581319936)
Absolutely count me in - as well as dozens I could easily round up from SCC. If / when he's up for it, we could also get him some seriously fun ride-alongs at an SCC autocross in Marina. :flag:

What would be cool, if he was willing and able, is to let him pick one of the specialty awrds, even best of show at your car show. I bet that would be a real thrill for him. :thumbs:

napacruzerc5 07-15-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by doje (Post 1581319936)

Dave, Let me know if you want to do ride-alongs at Solano. I have a full 5-pt harness on the passenger seat which should be better than a regular seat/shoulder belt set-up.
Rhys

BOUT X 07-15-2012 03:31 PM

let us know if she contacts you I am in :thumbs:

CGGS 07-15-2012 05:15 PM

Steve, you are truly first class all the way man!!

I'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks, I have an appt. at your detail shop.

DUMAN 07-15-2012 08:07 PM

I am in and I am sure Corvette Syndicate will be also!

Grimlock 07-15-2012 10:10 PM

I am interested in attending too.

C5 4me 07-15-2012 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by folsomlarry (Post 1581318981)

Count me in,and I am sure I got 2-3 more who will make the ride!:flag:

choivette 07-15-2012 11:48 PM

Steve,
Coming from a Viet Nam vet and seeing you at the VA hospital on Veterans Day u know I am in.

Coupe89 07-16-2012 12:22 AM

:flag: Let me know the date. :thumbs:

qnitro 07-16-2012 11:39 AM

I'm in... An old navy vet... I will bring the viper and the z06...he can ride in both...And I say fund raiser/show/ride

prinzSD455 07-16-2012 01:07 PM

I am in if he doesn't mind C4s.

tuxnharley 07-16-2012 02:01 PM

Count me in, and he can pick between my 06 or 67 or both!