CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Rear tire low air pressure (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3113836-rear-tire-low-air-pressure.html)

Red12 08-19-2012 01:31 AM

Rear tire low air pressure

Hi All, Coming home tonight, I got the low tire pressure message for my right rear tire. It read low air pressure, 23 lbs., stop and put in air soon. Luckily, I found a gas station on the Merrit Parkway with free air! I looked the tire over, found nothing, filled it with air and drove home. So far, the tire seems to be holding the air. Has any one had a similar experience?

WAwatchnut 08-19-2012 01:51 AM

Could be the valve stem - they can unscrew and leak air.

Jimmy W1 08-19-2012 02:14 AM

Yep....if you don't find a nail, probably something wrong in the valve or around the valve. Spray some soapy water around the valve- then move the valve around a little and see if you see any air coming out.

AORoads 08-19-2012 04:03 AM

before you do that, this morning use your hand held gauge to test the tire pressure now in there (presumed: you put in the difference betw. 23lbs. and about 30 or so). if it is too high, it could be the tire pressure sensor itself is going bad. but the other advice above is good if the tire is up to correct pressure this morning.

CaryBob 08-19-2012 07:14 AM

I've had three rear tires replaced in the last ten months. All with foreign objects that I could not spot while the tire was on the car. In two cases the tire lost 1-2 pounds a day, but in the other case it was losing only a pound every 2-3 days. They went "flat" very slowly. I've learned to check the cold pressure every day when I suspect a leak.

DHB820 08-19-2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut (Post 1581607373)
Could be the valve stem - they can unscrew and leak air.

I had this problem in the rear drivers side tire. Tightened the valve stem and that corrected the problem.

Aviator 08-19-2012 07:49 AM

I was losing 5lbs of air every two weeks in my left rear. Couldn't find any nail, but sure enough I had one - close to the wide wall so the tire was trash with only 500 miles on it. Got it replaced for free under the GY road hazard warranty. Tire may be crap but the warranty is excellent.

:cheers:

gcope63 08-19-2012 10:53 AM

I had a slow leak on my DD that was dropping about 10psi a week.. I took it in twice before they could find the issue! They finally tracked it down to a bead leak.. Once they pulled the tire and cleaned the bead the leak was gone.. Not sure how it occured since I had not had the tires off for a long time but that was the fix..

Gary

cclive 08-19-2012 11:50 AM

Sometimes it depends on the position of the tire when the car is parked. If a nail is squeezed a particular way, the hole may leak more or less.:thumbs:

John Harry 08-19-2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by DHB820 (Post 1581607791)
I had this problem in the rear drivers side tire. Tightened the valve stem and that corrected the problem.

But don't over-tighten it. Spec is 62 inch-lbs, which isn't much.

Mad*Max 08-19-2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Red12 (Post 1581607325)
Hi All, Coming home tonight, I got the low tire pressure message for my right rear tire. It read low air pressure, 23 lbs., stop and put in air soon. Luckily, I found a gas station on the Merrit Parkway with free air! I looked the tire over, found nothing, filled it with air and drove home. So far, the tire seems to be holding the air. Has any one had a similar experience?

have you been checking the cold tire pressure recently to
know if there has been a sudden drop?:lurk:

Red12 08-19-2012 04:41 PM

air pressure

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. While out in the daylight, I found the culprit: A nail. Any advice about repairing the tire? Is this covered by Goodyear road hazard? What about those beautiful rims? Should I worry?

BEZ06 08-19-2012 06:50 PM

Take it to your local Discount Tire - they fix flats for free.

As long as it's in from the shoulder far enough then it's repairable with a proper plug/patch and it will retain it's speed rating.

I just found a nail in the RR tire on the ZR1. I've taken several Z06 and ZR1 punctured tires to my local Discount Tire, and they always have done a great job being very careful with the wheels - and with the recent repair of the tire on my ZR1 Comp Gray wheel you can't even tell it had been worked on.

It's free - but I always slip the tire guy a nice tip!!:yesnod:

Bob :flag:

cclive 08-19-2012 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by BEZ06 (Post 1581612134)

It's free - but I always slip the tire guy a nice tip!!:yesnod:

Bob :flag:

With a Z06 and a ZR1, there would probably be a little grumbling if you didn't give them a tip...LOL....oh well, that just goes with the territory!:D:D