CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Dead 2013 z06!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3139009-dead-2013-z06.html)

SHM 09-29-2012 12:09 PM

Dead 2013 z06!!!

Only 350 miles on the odo and the thing died last night in the garage. The battery voltage is only 4.5V and even jumping it, it wouldn't light up! It's dead as a door nail! This is very scary!! :willy:

RicK T 09-29-2012 12:27 PM

Not to minimize your frustration but.....it's just a battery.

How long was it parked without driving? There could be an unusual elec draw but we need more info......or just let the dealer fix it. Sorry for the problem. :)

johnodrake 09-29-2012 12:30 PM

Something drained the battery. You need to determine what.

cclive 09-29-2012 12:33 PM

Not scary at all, the battery either went bad or was drained by something. Either charge it up if you can or get roadside assist to help. With a dead battery, these cars are hard to jump. It will be fine, relax.:thumbs:

SHM 09-29-2012 12:48 PM

It was running fine last light. Flatbed on the way...I didn't have anything hooked up or running I'm aware of. The battery would not accept a charge from the trickle charger. Don't know if something more severe happened to the electronics. Damn! I've NEVER had this happen before with any new car I've bought. This will be the first time something like this has happened. Even when I bought my IROC new, there were teething problems...but, nothing like this!

FloydSummerOf68 09-29-2012 12:55 PM

How long was the trickle charger on it? I've brought back some pretty dead batteries after 12-16 hours.

BTW, my car sits for 2+ weeks at a time on occasion and never has an issue firing up. I wouldn't worry about letting it sit. Just make sure you don't leave anything on to drain the battery at all.

If it happens again you have an issue for the dealer to sort out.

383LPE 09-29-2012 01:01 PM

if you dont drive it much get a battery disconnect switch. even the low amp chargers will cook the battery eventually. There is enough parasitic draw to drain a battery after weeks of sitting.

my truck is in the same condition right now, sitting in my driveway with a low charge battery because I dont drive it. I used to use the solar panel charger from harbor freight to trickle charge, but have lost track of it. I need to add a disconnect to it like I did my vette.

SHM 09-29-2012 01:04 PM

As far as I know, nothing was on. And most stuff is supposed to turn off automatically...No lights were on as far as I could tell. I had to use the key to open the hatch and the pull cable to open the driver side door. I only have the door partially closed because the window isn't indexing. So I didn't want to close it all the way and put any undo stress on the regulator. Meantime, RSA is supposed to be here in about 20 min. This is unreal! I'm hoping this isn't some bad omen for the future. When I connected the trickle charger--4amp/hr--the current meter indicated 0 amps being drawn. That indicates to me probably a shorted out battery. I could be wrong...we'll see if the tow service can jump it and at least get it started.

bearphoto 09-29-2012 01:10 PM

The good news is that its just a battery and can happen to any car. I had a ford truck I bought new, battery toasted within about a week of owning it. On the other hand, my 2001 dodge diesel truck still has its original 2 batteries in it!

They will get it fixed up for you and all will be good again!

Tide Will Roll! 09-29-2012 01:13 PM

Any mods that involved electrical?

Maybe its just a loose battery cable,hard to imagine the battery has already died...

Hopefully the car will be fine, but be sure to document everything just in case:thumbs:

Bert

Roll Tide!

johnodrake 09-29-2012 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SHM (Post 1581952930)
As far as I know, nothing was on. And most stuff is supposed to turn off automatically...No lights were on as far as I could tell. I had to use the key to open the hatch and the pull cable to open the driver side door. I only have the door partially closed because the window isn't indexing. So I didn't want to close it all the way and put any undo stress on the regulator. Meantime, RSA is supposed to be here in about 20 min. This is unreal! I'm hoping this isn't some bad omen for the future. When I connected the trickle charger--4amp/hr--the current meter indicated 0 amps being drawn. That indicates to me probably a shorted out battery. I could be wrong...we'll see if the tow service can jump it and at least get it started.

Have you re-indexed the windows?

SHM 09-29-2012 01:17 PM

No mods at all. Just a radar detector I use. But, that was in my other car. So there was nothing unusual connected. Everything is bone stock.

SHM 09-29-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by johnodrake (Post 1581953006)
Have you re-indexed the windows?

But, no indexing can occur without power, as far as I read in the manual. This has to be done after the battery is replaced. Otherwise, I don't think there is any mechanical method of doing this. So both doors will be left ajar until power can be restored. I'll be interested to see if they try to jump it and if power can, at least, be temporarily restored do I can properly index the windows.

Like dem Vettes 09-29-2012 01:20 PM

Car parts are not perfect. That's why you have a warranty. Don't fret.

Despite the fact that you have a Corvette, it's still a car.

HighPro 09-29-2012 01:32 PM

The car can be new, the battery can be old or defective. Like others said, it is just the battery. Replace it and you should be fine. If I let my Z sit for two weeks it will drain the battery to zero. I installed a tender under the hood and I plug it in if I am not going to drive the car for a while. Since I got the tender, I have no problems.

tonysrep 09-29-2012 01:56 PM

My dad once bought a new dodge , left to the dealership to fill it up , it was dead , the dealer brough another new car over to jump it but the sales person didn't leave it running when they jumped it , not theres two dead new cars in the gas station , the third new car was left running and away back to the deaershi we went for a new battery . a common issue with new cars...I've gotton to the point that its not the car , its the vendor that suppiy's the parts thats the problem

Don-Vette 09-29-2012 02:01 PM

Your under warranty let the dealer put a battery in it and check the charging system for you. Not very scary IMO

brooklync5 09-29-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1581953288)
Your under warranty let the dealer put a battery in it and check the charging system for you. Not very scary IMO

:iagree:

StanNH 09-29-2012 02:27 PM

The battery on my 2009 went totally dead after 6 months. It tested fine, but I had the dealer replace it with an Optima Yellow Top. Not one issue since then.

Big Dan 427 09-29-2012 02:29 PM

Don't sweat the battery, sweat the flatbed guy if he is going to load and take it! He could be a pro he could be a kid, just watch his every move and if you're not comfortable then don't let him take it!! Good luck...
Dan