CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Confused Computer? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3139258-confused-computer.html)

Coach Yocs 09-29-2012 08:52 PM

Confused Computer?

I have a 2006 automatic Vert with 21,000 miles.
Yesterday when I started my car a SERVICE VEHICLE SOON message appeared in the DIC display and I was unable to shift my vert out of park. The owner's manual suggested to put the vehicle in the accessory mode and then shift to NEUTRAL and start the engine.
This worked but when I shifted my car back into park, I could not shift into DRIVE.
I repeated the procedure several times putting my vehicle in the accessory mode then shifting to NEUTRAL and starting the engine. Once again, when the engine was turned off and in PARK I couldn't get the vehicle out of PARK. Eventually my car would not start even when I put the vehicle in the accessory mode.
I disconnected my battery and after 5 minutes reconnected the battery and tried again. This time my car started and I was able to shift out of PARK and into REVERSE and DRIVE.
Today while I was driving my vert the SERVICE VEHICLE SOON and SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM message appeared.
Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

b murph 09-29-2012 09:29 PM

Stock Battery ? If so maybe time for a new one.

Coach Yocs 09-29-2012 09:35 PM

I replaced the battery 5 months ago with with a Delco from the local Chevy dealer. Any other thoughts?

VET4LES 09-29-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Coach Yocs (Post 1581956053)
I replaced the battery 5 months ago with with a Delco from the local Chevy dealer. Any other thoughts?

Better have it load tested. Even new batteries can go bad. Put a charger on it if you have one. :thumbs:

b murph 09-29-2012 09:57 PM

You could try the battery disconnect again. Other than that, it's off to the dealership.

Coach Yocs 09-29-2012 10:12 PM

I do keep a charger on my battery. Unfortunately I agree with you about taking my vert to the local dealership. I did call them and I was told that the service department was very busy and that it would be several days before I could bring my can in to be checked out.
Thanks guys for your input.

b murph 09-30-2012 01:01 AM

Is this the same dealer you bought the car from? Wait several days! I'd be pissed.

Wayne O 09-30-2012 11:46 AM

Besides checking your battery another basic suggestion would be to check for fault codes (DTC's). If you don't have a code reader many auto parts stores (such as AutoZone) will do this for you free of charge. See what your car says. Good luck and let us know what you ultimately find out.

jbondfl 09-30-2012 12:53 PM

The "new" battery is easiest to suspect and to test-verify-exclude. After that call the dealership back (or just have the car flat-bedded in) and tell them it won't start. Don't leave it up to them to determine if it needs to be looked at immediately. If you don't make it an emergency they won't either.

JCtx 09-30-2012 07:20 PM

Easiest way is a code reader man, as mentioned. Why guess when a code is going to tell you what's wrong? Then you can decide what to do after that. You can post your results here and get more objective advice. Good luck.

Coach Yocs 10-01-2012 01:05 PM

Great suggestion. I called the local Auto Zone and they do have a code reader and they will check it out free of charge.
Thanks.

c6miller 10-01-2012 01:51 PM

check all the battery connections as well

SUB VETTE 10-01-2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Coach Yocs (Post 1581967127)
Great suggestion. I called the local Auto Zone and they do have a code reader and they will check it out free of charge.
Thanks.

Have them load test the battery too.

Gearhead Jim 10-01-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by c6miller (Post 1581967546)
check all the battery connections as well

:iagree:

Including underneath, where the cable connects to the starter.

Bill Dearborn 10-02-2012 12:28 AM

Make sure the scanner can read ABS codes as well. Service Vehicle Soon messages are driven by non power train codes. The combo of the Soon and AH messages may point to a steering sensor issue. The one time I had a car give me the Service Vehicle Soon message somebody had been working on the car and when they reconnected the steering shaft to the steering rack they got the steering turned by 360 degrees. So the steering wheel was straight but the steering sensor was turned 1 turn and the car set the message.

Bill

Coach Yocs 10-05-2012 12:00 AM

I took my vert to Auto Zone but they could not use the code reader because the message in the DCI was not on. I did have the battery checked and it was fine. I also did get an ABS message in the DCI. I guess my next option is to take my car to the Chevy dealership.
Thanks again.

AKc62007 10-05-2012 12:43 AM

Had SERVICE VEHICLE SOON and SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM message appeared., drove a block, shut her down then started up and never say it again. good luck..

Coach Yocs 10-05-2012 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by AKc62007 (Post 1581999361)
Had SERVICE VEHICLE SOON and SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM message appeared., drove a block, shut her down then started up and never say it again. good luck..

That sounds encouraging. I really don't have much faith in my local Chevy dealershp and I trust the info I get from Corvette Forum.