CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Rear End broke. C6 M6 :( (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3141877-rear-end-broke-c6-m6.html)

Ling Ling 10-04-2012 04:32 AM

Rear End broke. C6 M6 :(

Well I blew my rear end at the track last night. I have a 2008 LS3 with headers, cam, and intake. Pushing about 480 rwhp. I had put on my sticky mickys and launched it to just under 3000 rpms and bam! It was broke. My question to you guys is what would be a good rear end gear ratio, and a reliable brand. Preferably something unbreakable! Please let me know. I have no idea where to start looking. Thanks:) oh and also reliability and affordability would be awesome!

timd38 10-04-2012 06:00 AM

What broke?

I don't drag race, but I was looking at this carrier. http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...eyword=eaton+c

I also installed a diff brace they sell.

Motive Gear supplies most of the ring and pinions. They also own Richmond gear.

I am trying to understand what to do as well before it breaks and I have to buy a case......

jss06c6 10-04-2012 08:44 AM

Depending upon what broke you might be able to repair, upgrade as needed. Recommend you get with the guys at DTE. www.performancebydte.com

Good luck! I have same setup putting down 465 at the wheels. Last time I was at the track I was putting down 427 and rode the clutch out on a 3500 rpm launch. 1.8 sec 60' time to limit the load on my differential. Only ran a 12.02. With the huge increase in rwhp and rwtq, I won't make another run without some serious drivetrain strengthening.

Rick@RKT Performance 10-04-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ling Ling (Post 1581991373)
Well I blew my rear end at the track last night. I have a 2008 LS3 with headers, cam, and intake. Pushing about 480 rwhp. I had put on my sticky mickys and launched it to just under 3000 rpms and bam! It was broke. My question to you guys is what would be a good rear end gear ratio, and a reliable brand. Preferably something unbreakable! Please let me know. I have no idea where to start looking. Thanks:) oh and also reliability and affordability would be awesome!

Contact us if you need a bulletproof set up for racing. We have set ups to handle over 1,000 RWHP.

Jeremy@RPMTransmissions 10-08-2012 10:15 AM

Have you determined what exactly broke yet? Was it leaking any fluids? Was there any wheel hope when the differential failed?

narfdanarf 10-09-2012 01:52 AM

I am going to dump my entire tax return into the drivetrain this winter...I think I'd like to do a tr6060 conversion and built diff, dss axles and cf shaft, along with upgraded mounts.

Jeremy@RPMTransmissions 10-09-2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by narfdanarf (Post 1582029529)
I am going to dump my entire tax return into the drivetrain this winter...I think I'd like to do a tr6060 conversion and built diff, dss axles and cf shaft, along with upgraded mounts.

Shoot me a PM with all the specs on your car if you would like and I will work up an itemized quote for you.

GARY2004Z06 10-09-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ling Ling (Post 1581991373)

Originally Posted by narfdanarf (Post 1582029529)

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions (Post 1582031064)
Shoot me a PM with all the specs on your car if you would like and I will work up an itemized quote for you.

You cannot go wrong with these guys. Service is top notch and their products will hold up to abuse. We can consistently cut mid 1.3s to low 1.4s on their rear. :thumbs:

Gering 10-10-2012 04:17 AM

OP: I would PM http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...turytrans.html

Ling Ling 11-26-2012 02:38 PM

So it ended up being just my axle. Wooh saved me some big bucks. I don't understand why it was making that noise though. Maybe a bearing was mad or something.

Jeremy@RPMTransmissions 11-26-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ling Ling (Post 1582420553)
So it ended up being just my axle. Wooh saved me some big bucks. I don't understand why it was making that noise though. Maybe a bearing was mad or something.

Glad it wasn't anything major. What you were probably hearing was the clutches howling because when you broke the axle you basically had an open differential and it was just spinning the clutches inside the carrier.

V8ANGER 11-27-2012 04:06 PM

That's why I keep my stock axles because I rather that break than my rear end :thumbs: