CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What has been the biggest surprise to you so far? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3156034-what-has-been-the-biggest-surprise-to-you-so-far.html)

Racer X 10-26-2012 11:59 PM

What has been the biggest surprise to you so far?

We have learned a number of things over few months. There is still a lot left to learn about the car. After seeing the mule, the camo test cars, reading the LT1 release info, and seeing the seeing the only two parts that carry over from the C6; what was the biggest surprise to you?

First I think the two part carryover is an exaggeration. I am sure there are more than a few fasteners that carry over. Heck, they said there more than 2 parts that carry over in the engine (what was it some starter bolts and piston pins?).

After seeing the pictures I am surprised that the windshield does not carry over. Do you think it has a different shape due to a different rake? Is it narrower at the top or bottom? Maybe they have change the thickness (ala the 2001 Z06). Maybe it has different coatings in the base car because even the base car will have a HUD.

What has been the surprising thing to yo?

rcallen484 10-27-2012 12:56 AM

I am surprised it has a 6.2 liter engine. I was convinced it was going to be a 5.5 To me this means they believe they have hit a sweet spot with 6.2 liter.

barry1me 10-27-2012 12:59 AM

I pray that the 6.2l HP/Tq numbers will be at the wheels, not at the crank.

mitchydkid 10-27-2012 01:02 AM

I'm surprised Jalopnik nailed it sooo long ago and GM is still treating this car like we don't already know what it looks like. Is there still a bunch we don't know? Sure, but as far as the appearance goes the only surprise at the reveal is likely the color.

Stingray23 10-27-2012 01:06 AM

I'm still shocked with the rear end. I'm gonna wait to see it in person or better pics to really critique it. Right now though, I'm not liking it too much.

zland 10-27-2012 01:10 AM

Not sure if it is I am surprised or disappointed but that GM might be taking styling cues that appear to be less iconic Corvette (tail lights). We have not seen it yet do it could look good but to me, any insert will not be as classic as simple round tail lights.

Buck-I 10-27-2012 01:23 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ctureid=123799

Biggest suprise? I guess that would be the weird lookin seats.

Z_Rocks 10-27-2012 01:34 AM

I'm surprised with DI & VVT the numbers were not north of 480.

ZL-1 10-27-2012 01:57 AM

I too was surprised the base C7 stayed with 6.2L even though the car will be significantly lighter. Apparently smaller displacement was ruled out because it would have to cycle in and out of 4-cylinder mode more frequently than with the big torquey 6.2.

I was surprised the compression ratio was only 11.5. The direct injection should have allowed more like 12 or 13. But then I saw that premium gas is no longer required, just recommended.

I was surprised to see oil cooling jets for the pistons on this naturally aspirated engine.

I was expecting the Gen V engine to shave a bit of weight, but with all the added parts a 14 pound increase is understandable.

I was surprised at the big tuned cast iron headers but it makes sense - a casting allows optimizing shapes for the best flow compared to tubular types where the cross section remains constant.

I was surprised they're only talking 26 mpg for now. We'll be seeing real world highway mpg WAY into the 30's.

Hemi Dave 10-27-2012 02:19 AM

I was surprised with the apparantley narrow tires out back.......I am used to seeing meaty rubber on the rear ......I hope wider tires can fit back there...........

ZeeOSix 10-27-2012 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave (Post 1582181854)
I was surprised with the apparantley narrow tires out back.......I am used to seeing meaty rubber on the rear ......I hope wider tires can fit back there...........

:iagree: ... the tires on the camo test cars just seemed to narrow for a Vette.

ZeeOSix 10-27-2012 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Racer X (Post 1582181346)
After seeing the pictures I am surprised that the windshield does not carry over. Do you think it has a different shape due to a different rake?

Absolutely ... the shape where the front windshield sits is no way the same as any other generation Vette.

LS1LT1 10-27-2012 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1582181569)
I am surprised it has a 6.2 liter engine. I was convinced it was going to be a 5.5

Originally Posted by ZL-1 (Post 1582181810)
I too was surprised the base C7 stayed with 6.2L

I wasn't...I was almost positive that it was going to be at least 6.2L in displacement all along. :)

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks (Post 1582181732)
I'm surprised with DI & VVT the numbers were not north of 480.

Who knows, it might still be (those 450hp/450tq ratings aren't necessarily final). :)
But 460-470 is more likely in my opinion.

John T 10-27-2012 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix (Post 1582181872)
Absolutely ... the shape where the front windshield sits is no way the same as any other generation Vette.

I am really glad that the "A" pillar - windshield scenario has been brought up. I think this is completely new on the C7 and I think they are camouflaging this in some form. I had assumed the C7 was more or less a re- skinned C6 but I am having second thoughts on that now.

capevettes 10-27-2012 05:35 AM

The 6.2 liter motor also surprised me. It was widely reported that it would be a smaller displacement motor, around 5.5 liters.

The Camaro-like tail lights also surprised me early on. I think even those may grow on me. I also thought the car would be a more radical departure in appearance from the C6. It looks like a more evolutionary design. I'm sure it will be a heck of a car though :thumbs:

BlueOx 10-27-2012 06:49 AM

Not really surprised yet as I haven't made up my mind about much yet.

Jalopnik being as right as they have been so far is probably the biggest real surprise of this whole 'event'. It could end up being unfortunate that Jalopnik chose to show the ZR1 first as I suspect the final base we will see will be a bit more sedate-looking, creating disappointment.

Slynky 10-27-2012 07:36 AM

I guess if we can believe the rear-end looks as posted, then I think that was a bit radical (and surprising).

I mean, the rest of the body design doesn't look like much changed (other than someone took the 3D wires of it and stretched and sculpted it a bit into a Euro-version of itself).

It's not really a surprise the dash has gone (somewhat) digital--after all, some of GM's other cars have it as well as lower-priced competitors.

Seats? Interior? Not much to go on here but I wouldn't call it a big surprise.

The engine isn't much of a surprise. Disappointment, maybe. I mean, lots of people wondered about the 5.5 but it stayed at 6.2. There wasn't really any big surprise about AFM--it's like something you can't seem to avoid any more (unless you're designed in Europe).

So, other than the rear-end design, I can't say there is much surprise.

Glad, of course, the big surprise wasn't a 2+2 configuration ! :crazy: :willy:

Nitrous Oxide 10-27-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Racer X (Post 1582181346)
We have learned a number of things over few months. There is still a lot left to learn about the car. After seeing the mule, the camo test cars, reading the LT1 release info, and seeing the seeing the only two parts that carry over from the C6; what was the biggest surprise to you?

First I think the two part carryover is an exaggeration. I am sure there are more than a few fasteners that carry over. Heck, they said there more than 2 parts that carry over in the engine (what was it some starter bolts and piston pins?).

After seeing the pictures I am surprised that the windshield does not carry over. Do you think it has a different shape due to a different rake? Is it narrower at the top or bottom? Maybe they have change the thickness (ala the 2001 Z06). Maybe it has different coatings in the base car because even the base car will have a HUD.

What has been the surprising thing to yo?

The base already has a HUD.

~Stingray 10-27-2012 08:30 AM

If the car comes out looking "exactly" like the rendering we all know, I will be surprised that GM stuck with it. It doesn't scream Corvette in my opinion and I feel it just doesn't grab your eye like the previous models did or the more classics ones.

I know a lot of people don't like the stingray concept, but I felt it really made you want one. Even if you were not a Corvette lover. That is where I feel GM has dropped the ball. Its not about appeasing the already accepting market, its about that market plus getting people to turn away from the other options. I feel it has lost Corvette essence if that makes any sense.

Drawings usually don't do things justice, so hopefully my surprise will end up being nothing at all, but it missed the mark on the "exciting new look" by a long shot in my opinion.

Jinx 10-27-2012 09:58 AM

I can't really say I'm surprised by any of it. I thought it likely there would be a displacement reduction, but the fact that there isn't doesn't really qualify as surprise.

Honestly, folks, set aside your hopes and dreams and think about the most likely path for the next Corvette, and isn't what we've seen running right down the middle? Evolution in every aspect.

Of course there are many things we don't yet know, so there's still room for surprise. Especially beyond the base car.

.Jinx