CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Hurricane Sandy (MERGED) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3156599-hurricane-sandy-merged.html)

Big Dan 427 10-28-2012 02:49 AM

Hurricane Sandy (MERGED)

Hopefully all you guys in the mid Atlantic states are doing okay, we here in the Northeast are getting ready for late Sunday arrival! Be safe all...:eek:

Dragracer_Art 10-28-2012 02:56 AM

I just got back from topping off the tank in my truck and filling a bunch of 5-gal gas cans for my generator.

Reading, PA here... and directly in the path of the storm. :ack:

Big Dan 427 10-28-2012 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art (Post 1582188705)
I just got back from topping off the tank in my truck and filling a bunch of 5-gal gas cans for my generator.

Yes you are, good luck!

turbod 10-28-2012 05:33 AM

I live on the water, just off of the Chesapeake Bay in VA. Storm surge is my main concern next to trees coming down on the house.

Water can't reach the house but surge can take out docks and I have one boat still on a lift.

Could be quite a mess. Got my fingers crossed!

AORoads 10-28-2012 06:20 AM

The AO roadster is safely tucked away, but I and the daily driver are not. If the house blows away then the AO goes with it. Oh well, "like-a-good-neighbor..." :D

obxchartercaptain 10-28-2012 06:25 AM

I left my Vert in the Body Shop Paint Booth for the weekend. As prepared as can be for something like this. Generator, Food, and BEER....:cheers:

Rich Mickol 10-28-2012 06:59 AM

Getting ready here. Should be within 50 miles of landfall on Monday night. :eek: Running some last minute errands today and then that's it. Good luck to all in Sandy's path.

Daekwan06 10-28-2012 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain (Post 1582188902)
I left my Vert in the Body Shop Paint Booth for the weekend. As prepared as can be for something like this. Generator, Food, and BEER....:cheers:

You forgot whiskey! Hurry and stock up before its too late! :)

plmkrzy 10-28-2012 07:57 AM

Corvettes are in the garage. Other cars on the driveway. Everything outside is put away. Ready for the "Big One" again. Just like last year. I hope everyone comes through in good shape. That didn't happen last year. :eek::eek:

LooseScrew 10-28-2012 08:23 AM

Last year we lost 14 HUGE trees in the Halloween storm, including one on my son's car. :sad: I feel better this year with those monsters gone! :yesnod:

BWF07 10-28-2012 08:57 AM

Be safe up there guys. I live in Florida and we have been extremely lucky for a few years now. My only comment is, I thought they were say landfall would be on late Monday early Tuesday, not today.

not08crmanymore 10-28-2012 09:10 AM

Getting ready here. Should be within 50 miles of landfall on Monday night. Running some last minute errands today and then that's it. Good luck to all in Sandy's path.
You are just about in the bullseye for landfall on this thing.It made a slightly northern turn so it's gonna hit right where you are...maybe Seaside,directly!Be careful down there man.:thumbs:

BSE1956 10-28-2012 09:38 AM

This is probably my last posting for a while. Driving my Vette & other cars to a friends house inland where we're going to stay. I'm 100' from the canal and the moon tide + a storm surge is going to make my garage a possibly unsafe place for my cars. We just looked at the canal 90 minutes ago at high tide and it's pretty damn scary. (I'd rather my Vette gets rained on sitting in my friends driveway than possibly sitting in a few feet of brackish water!) Irony is, the car is never driven in the rain.......
Say a prayer for us all on the south shore of Long Island. This one looks UGLY.

Note: if you are in close proximity to the water, take your generator with you so that you'll have power when you return. Mine is in my Expedition (with the help of my 2x12 ramps I use for oil changes).
If need be, I can roll it out of the truck when I return and pump out the basement.
Been 27 years in my current location and never any water. I've never felt so nervous about a storm.

UPDATE : TUESDAY and still at my friends house (he has power!!)
Yep - we're screwed. I'm headed down to my neighborhood after this mornings hi tide. My neighbor 4 houses from me told me he had shrimp and fish in his den. Chances are my basement is full of FEET of water.
Anxious to get there and start up the generator and start pumping, but don't want to put me or my truck in peril. This is BAD, very bad.........Hope everyone out there is safe.

UPDATE SUNDAY: Basement, den and garage are trashed. Had some Killies (baitfish) swimming in the basement. Pumped it out, cleaned it up and lost a lot of stuff that is NOT replaceable. Only the bottom of my tool chest in water, but I had my charger, trickle charger and torque wrench down there. All toast. Floor jack is done too. Everything in the shed is done.....power tools etc. Nine out of 10 cars in the area are ruined from salt water. Been cleaning, and still have lots to do..........The Nor'easter did not help.

Tomorrow will be two weeks and still NO POWER! Generator power only. Gas is a bit easier these days with odd and even rationing. Ripped out the entire basement and the bottom two feet of my den and garage. Finally got a new boiler and wouldn't you know it, the plumbing distributor gave me the wrong hot water heater....arrgghh. Gonna try to get one Monday. Still, heating the house and drying it out is a good thing, and sprayed bleach and water mixture in affected areas and waiting for the insurance adjustors.
My neighborhood is full of household debris and trash, and the lousy demo companies are leaving everything on the curb for the municipal garbage to pick up...must be nails everywhere..........BTW: one of my waterfront neighbors was charged $35,000 (yes, that's 35 big ones) to demo and clean the affected areas of his house.
So, the Vette that is never driven in rain, always sits in the garage with a cover and gets babied, has been sitting outside my friends house for two weeks. I'm not bringing it back home until I have a clean garage and we get another good rain to get rid of the salt. Guess what....it's fine. I'm taking a day off construction duty today and will try to enjoy the nice weather.

FINALLY: we have some power, but the circuits in my house were designed by a drunken Indian. Had to kill all the basement circuits and they are crossed with others, so we'll have to wade thru the issues one at a time.
To top it off, my Expedition blew a brake line (metal one) today and it looks like a trip to the Ford dealer. Arrgghhhh. I was lucky I was able to park it. Coulda killed someone with no brakes........

vig1116 10-28-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1582189336)
Be safe up there guys. I live in Florida and we have been extremely lucky for a few years now. My only comment is, I thought they were say landfall would be on late Monday early Tuesday, not today.

landfall, yes, but tropical storm rain and wind will start this evening and last till tuesday....

Stan0324 10-28-2012 10:31 AM

Hope everyone stays safe.

My baby is tucked away in the garage. The news is saying that here in CT we are going to see more high winds than rain.

My wife works for Northeast Utilities and she is off to work. Mandatory 16 hour days starting at noon.

Keep your Vette safe, but most important, keep your family and yourself safe.

sprta 10-28-2012 10:36 AM

Ocean City Md here and we are already being hammered with rain and wind. Home is 15' from the bay hopefully the bulkhead will hold up....fingers crossed and my vette tucked away in the neighbor's garage

speedraider 10-28-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art (Post 1582188705)

and everyone on here used to laugh at all my gas cans

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D550/ry%3D400/

MKenM 10-28-2012 10:41 AM

We're hoping the power doesn't go off like it did last year and left us for 5 days w/o power. Everyone be safe.:hide:

plmkrzy 10-28-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by BSE1956 (Post 1582189566)
This is probably my last posting for a while. Driving my Vette & other cars to a friends house inland where we're going to stay. I'm 100' from the canal and the moon tide + a storm surge is going to make my garage a possibly unsafe place for my cars. We just looked at the canal 90 minutes ago at high tide and it's pretty damn scary. (I'd rather my Vette gets rained on sitting in my friends driveway than possibly sitting in a few feet of brackish water!) Irony is, the care is never driven in the rain.......
Say a prayer for us all on the south shore of Long Island. This one looks UGLY.

Good luck. If you want to drive a couple of hours you'll be welcome in the Hudson Valley. We wish you the best. Rain won't hurt the Vette but salt water and flooding will. :eek::eek: :hide::hide:

69L79 10-28-2012 10:47 AM

Hamilton Square, NJ here about 40 miles from the Jersey shore. :ack: Hunkering down, keeping my fingers crossed. :hide: The GS is tucked away in the garage. Good Luck to all, stay safe. And, dry. :thumbs: