CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/316462-whats-the-best-wax-for-black-paint.html)

Triple Black 88 06-06-2002 11:48 PM

Whats the best wax for Black Paint?

I had the car painted 2 yrs ago and it looks great, but I've noticed that some waxes make it "Blacker". Does anyone know which wax will make it the "Blackest"? :flag

AP 06-07-2002 01:14 AM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (Triple Black 88)

ZAINO!

vader86 06-07-2002 02:20 AM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (NewVetteLover)

welcome to the Zaino section, where all replies say Zaino!

(i think the Meguiars Gold Class is pretty good for black)

barryscott 06-07-2002 05:28 AM

Hey Now:
If you want a deep wet shine, use Pinnacle Souveran wax. Great look on dark colored cars. I use it on mine, and nothing comes close. :cheers: :cheers:

96LT4 06-07-2002 09:41 AM

I use Zaino on my cars. :) However, I have seen some great finishes with other products. :cheers:

vettfixr 06-07-2002 10:25 AM

I've used both Meguiars and Zaino products with good results. If you use Meguiars go the 3 step route with No.9 Swirl Remover, No.7 Glaze and No.26 Hi Tech Yellow wax. This will give you a deep wet look especially if you apply it with an orbital buffer. If you go with the zaino I would recommend a dawn wash, 3M Swirl and haze remover for dark colors applied with an orbital, z1/z2 applied by hand and another coat of z2. This will give you the same type of shine. The difference is that 3 or 4 months later the Zaino will look the same as the day you applied it while the Meguiars will fade in about 2 or 3 weeks. All this from experience.

06-07-2002 11:22 AM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (barryscott)

Hey Now:
If you want a deep wet shine, use Pinnacle Souveran wax. Great look on dark colored cars. I use it on mine, and nothing comes close. :cheers: :cheers:
What product do you use?

GS 163 06-07-2002 12:30 PM

ZAINO!
:yesnod: http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/...withstupid.gif :D

C5Longhorn 06-07-2002 02:29 PM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (JPLT1)

I had good luck with Zaino, but there are definitely other good products out there.

Triple Black 88 06-07-2002 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like I'm gonna give the Zaino a try. I checked out their website and I'm going to get the ZFX , Z2, Z5, and Z7. I'm going to skip the clay, and maybe Z5 because the paint is in great shape, I just want that super dark wet look. I have been using Maguires #1 cleaner and Liquid Glass for years, but its starting to get that haze look. I am also willing to try the Pinnacle Souveran, but I have never heard of it. Do they seel this in stores?
Thanks Again!!! :flag

rubyred93 06-07-2002 05:14 PM

I happen to use Pinnacle Souveran as well, and it is an outstanding wax. :yesnod: Pinnacle Souveran is not sold in stores, it is a mail order item. It can be purchased from the following company: http://www.properautocare.com The company is Classic Motoring Accessories and they are great to deal with. Just be prepared for the price tag - Pinnacle Souveran will set you back $70.00 for the 8 oz. container. Yes, it's rather expensive as far as waxes go, but I've found that it produces exceptional depth and shine. Pinnacle Souveran is recommended for use on dark colored cars. Great stuff. :)

hcvone 06-07-2002 06:26 PM

88, I would get the Z-5, more than half of my customers just use Z-5 on the black cars, and now the new Z-5 is even brighter, I was through Collegeville twice this week, contact me if I can help you in anyway. :)

Spectre 06-07-2002 11:45 PM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint?

zaino :cheers:

BobbyO 06-08-2002 12:07 AM

Zaino....if you want a long lasting glaze!

Triple Black 88 06-08-2002 12:16 AM

Does Zaino make water bead up or sheet off? Also, does it leave oily streaks like carnubas. Seems like all waxes that say "Wet Look" leave the streaks Those with dark cars know what I'm talking about.

06-08-2002 01:24 AM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (rubyred93)

I happen to use Pinnacle Souveran as well, and it is an outstanding wax. :yesnod: Pinnacle Souveran is not sold in stores, it is a mail order item. It can be purchased from the following company: http://www.properautocare.com The company is Classic Motoring Accessories and they are great to deal with. Just be prepared for the price tag - Pinnacle Souveran will set you back $70.00 for the 8 oz. container. Yes, it's rather expensive as far as waxes go, but I've found that it produces exceptional depth and shine. Pinnacle Souveran is recommended for use on dark colored cars. Great stuff. :)
Hey, RubyRed93! :-) My car care guru! Exactly what product do you suggest of Pinnacle Souveran?? I went to their site earlier and, I gotta tell you, pretty darned confusing product outlay. I've used the Meguiars now....and Zaino - and I really don't see any difference in the two. So I figure I'll give something else a try in a couple of weeks.

GShyneDM 06-08-2002 01:49 AM

if you want your car to be the BLACK... use Meguairs Gold Class..

i dont want my black cars black.. i want a glass look to it. which is why i use Zaino.

two different looks.. but for yours.. you will want to use Meguairs, the only drawback is yours is harder to maintain. to keep your black look, you should wax twice a month... to keep it looking pristine. once a month if your car is garaged. feel free to contact me if you want any further assisstance :cheers: Good Luck

Triple Black 88 06-08-2002 09:34 AM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (Mairi)

Mairi, I hope your not serious when you said "I've used the Meguiars now....and Zaino - and I really don't see any difference in the two" The whole reason I posted this is because the Meguiars is giving me a "hazy" look. I have tried many differeny cheap Pep Boys waxes, and what I do is I take them and do a spot. Then wipe them off and when you look on an angle you will see each one gives you a different shade of black. "Shine" has NOT been a problem!!! I'm hoping that the Zaino will make the paint the darkest shade of black and not look hazy.
Does it sound like I'm doing the right thing by going with the Zaino to solve my problem.
What do you think Ruby Red?

Slammed Vette 06-08-2002 10:17 AM

ZAINO!!!!!Look at sig pic!!!

rubyred93 06-08-2002 11:23 AM

Mairi - "Pinnacle" is actually the product line. Pinnacle Souveran is a specific wax that is within the Pinnacle line up. If I remember correctly, your car is black. You'd want to choose the Pinnacle Souveran over the Pinnacle Paste Glaze. The Paste Glaze is intended for lighter finishes. It may be a bit overwhelming at first to go to the Classic Motoring Accessories web site, but take your time and read through each product line and it's application. Given time, you will become familiar with it. I have a few of the Pinnacle products in my bag of tricks - some I like, some I do not. The Souveran is excellent.

Triple Balck 88 - First I just want to comment on what you said about waxes streaking, and that anyone with a dark car would know what you meant...I've never experienced any streaking with Pinnacle Souveran. I think that once you try it, you'll see that it's not your "typical" (Mother's, Meguiar's, Eagle One, etc) wax. Souveran is of a higher quality. Souveran has always provided my car with a deep/rich reflectivity. As far as "doing the right thing" by trying the Zaino - that is strictly subjective. You may try it and like it, you may not. I can tell you that I have seen a black Zaino'd Corvette in person at a recent car show and I was not impressed - but that is my opinion.

HOCKEY 06-08-2002 01:28 PM

ZAINO

06-08-2002 03:14 PM

Mairi, I hope your not serious when you said "I've used the Meguiars now....and Zaino - and I really don't see any difference in the two"
Yes, I am serious, Triple Black. I've put several coats of the Z5 and Z6 on now and I do not see where it is a vast improvement over the Meguiars polish and wax process. I was very pleased with Meguiars, but heard so much about Zaino, I gave it a whirl.

Thanks RubyRed, for the info. I just ordered the Souveran and that will be my next go 'round. :seeya

Triple Black 88 06-08-2002 08:51 PM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (Mairi)

Thanks Mairi, looks like I need to try the Meguairs Gold Class, the Pinnacle Souveran, and the Zaino. I can try the Gold Class tomorrow, and I'll see if I can work something out with Ruby Red in the next week or two.

JimmyS5600 06-08-2002 09:29 PM

Triple Black Zaino will NOT haze or streak. It also lasts and lasts like other posters mentioned. It beads like crazy months after application. Try it you will like it!

GShyneDM 06-09-2002 12:39 AM

I'm hoping that the Zaino will make the paint the darkest shade of black and not look hazy.
you are NOT..and i repeat.. NOT going to get the darkest shade of black with Zaino. YOu will get a glossy glass Look to your car. it is a shine i prefer, but if you want it to look black.. zaino will be TOO reflective to let you have a black car. it will only make it reflect everything around it.

i love zaino, and the mirror glass shine it gives. i dont want my car to be as black as it can get.. i want it to SHINE!! :)

if you are going to try out waxes.. and are trying that other one.. DONT get meguiars.. just try the other one and zaino. save some money :) :yesnod:

check out my zaino shine on a black Jetta.. i dont think this is what you are currently looking for... are you??

https://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/gshynedm//z163.jpg https://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/gshynedm//z162.jpg https://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/gshynedm//z161.jpg

[Modified by GShyneDM, 8:42 PM 6/8/2002]

Triple Black 88 06-09-2002 01:49 AM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (GShyneDM)

GShyneDM, Nice Pics, only...where's the Vette? Anyway, that's an incredible finish...that's the reason we buy "Balck" cars, and no, mine doesn't look like that. :eek:

barryscott 06-10-2002 01:45 AM

Hey Now:
The Classic Motoring Accessories is a great place, fast shipping, and nice packaging, but for the best price on Pinnacle products, try http://www.xvworld.com/xv/detailshop.htm
Best prices I have found!!! :cheers: Need any help with any Pinnacle product, just e-mail me or Im.

JameyZ28 06-10-2002 11:38 AM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (JPLT1)

JPLT1,

Where do you get the Zaino product in Naples, or do you have to mail order it?

Jamey

Intermezzo 06-10-2002 04:15 PM

Although Zaino does look nice on black, if you want something that is going to make your car look VERY black with a high 'jetting' factor and a deep shine, use a carnauba wax like Blitz, Souveran or P21S Carnuaba on top of a high quality glaze or mild paint cleanser. Don't believe the hype about how carnauba only lasts 2-3 weeks. The shine on a coat of Blitz improves over time the same way Zaino does. Be sure to spend a lot of time with the most important step....paint prep.

Don't get me wrong though...Zaino on black provides a nice deep, reflective shine. It's just that when I used Blitz on my black car on top of P21S Paint Cleanser, the car's shine was a lot 'blacker' than with Zaino. Both shines were very nice, had a tremendous 'glow' and I'd be happy with either one, but if you are looking for something that will tint your color dark, go with the oily glaze + carnauba shine.

[Modified by Intermezzo, 8:21 PM 6/10/2002]

Dave95C4 06-10-2002 04:58 PM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (Intermezzo)

Ok, gonna throw my two cents into the mix. Meguiar's makes a great product, but it just doesn't give the shine I want on Black. I want clarity, reflection, and a true-color mirror finish. Meguiar's makes the car shiny, but doesn't give that mile-deep clarity that I want. Zaino's Z2 is my polish of choice, although some prefer Z5 over it for black. The best thing to do is try something new if you're not happy with what you're using (or even if you are, so you can compare/contrast). I post this over and over again, but it's the truth. I can guarantee you that you won't get the kinda shine below with anything but Zaino:

https://www.unc.edu/~bandit/phantom/pics/2-5/hood2.jpg

Intermezzo 06-14-2002 07:09 PM

Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (Dave95C4)

I post this over and over again, but it's the truth. I can guarantee you that you won't get the kinda shine below with anything but Zaino:
Well then how about this kind of shine, using a high quality carnauba?

http://image1.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=339083

Calabra 06-14-2002 09:12 PM

Nice shine. What product did you use to get that shine on your car?

Dave95C4 06-16-2002 01:37 AM

Looks great...when it's freshly waxed. But, after a trip in the rain...it most likely won't look like that. I used carnauba for years, the silicon will wash right off. My car is a daily driver, and the above photo was taken about two weeks after my last polish coat of Zaino. Show me a photo after driving your Boxter daily for two weeks...then we can compare apples to apples. ;) After all, I could coat any car with baby oil and make it shiny...for at least one day.

Dave

GShyneDM 06-16-2002 03:21 AM

Looks great...when it's freshly waxed. But, after a trip in the rain...it most likely won't look like that. I used carnauba for years, the silicon will wash right off. My car is a daily driver, and the above photo was taken about two weeks after my last polish coat of Zaino. Show me a photo after driving your Boxter daily for two weeks...then we can compare apples to apples. ;) After all, I could coat any car with baby oil and make it shiny...for at least one day.

Dave
side note: its a turbo :D

Alchemist 06-16-2002 06:01 PM

ZAINO!
http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/...withstupid.gif

I've used the "black waxes" and were impressed with the color...but the durability left a LOT to be desired. Check out THIS pic! No Zaino in almost 3 months! :eek:

https://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/alchemist/side1big.jpg

Intermezzo 06-17-2002 03:09 AM

Dave
Pinnacle Souveran. BTW, it's not my car.

You say you've used carnauba for years? Well, I USED to use Zaino on my black car until I found out that I prefer the look of carnauba on my black car. It's been two weeks since my last application of carnuba (OG Blitz Wax) on my black bimmer and it's been through two car washes, driven daily an average of 80-100 miles (long commute) and I do not notice any diminishment in shine, slickness or water beading.

I still use Zaino on my silver car because I feel Zaino looks best on light metallic colors, but on black, carnauba is the way to go. I always felt that my Zaino'd black bimmer was lacking something...even after about ten coats of Z-5. After trying out P21S Paint Cleanser + OG Blitz + P21S Carnauba, I couldn't be any happier with the shine.

Don't get me wrong. I don't make any claims about carnauba's durability. One coat of Zaino will outlast 100 coats of carnauba anyday. However, I was just addressing your original statement that you just can't get that kind of shine using anything other than Zaino. Well, I'm just trying to show you that you CAN get an even better shine using carnauba when it comes to black. Now that you're singing to a different tune (durability) it seems to me that this has become a personal issue for you. :) Ok, you win bro. Your Zaino shine will outlast my carnuaba shine. But who cares? Any true enthusiast detailer worth half his/her salt can't wait longer than a month before the itch to add a layer of protectant is so overwhelming, you just HAVE to add a layer of carnauba or poly sealant. I add a quick layer of carnauba every month and I'd do the same if I was using Zaino. Since I prefer the carnauba shine, I'll just stick with carnauba.

Dave95C4 06-17-2002 02:08 PM

I was just addressing your original statement that you just can't get that kind of shine using anything other than Zaino. Well, I'm just trying to show you that you CAN get an even better shine using carnauba when it comes to black. Now that you're singing to a different tune (durability) it seems to me that this has become a personal issue for you. :) Ok, you win bro.
Holy flamebait Batman... If you prefer, I can singularly address the issue of shine and still continue to contend that Z2 provides a better shine than any carnauba (in my own personal opinon). Carnauba is yellow...Zaino is 99% optically clear. People actually mistook my previous black car for polo green on the road...but after switching from carnauba to Zaino, the mistake didn't recur. It has been my experience that with carnauba, black paint tends to more brilliantly reflect green hues (ie. trees, grass, etc.). Z2 and Z5 seem to allow those green shades to be reflected, but not overpowering the other colors (such as a blue sky or a gray overcast). A clear, reflective, mirror shine is what I prefer on my car. That's my preference, and I still think that even in that great photo you have, the green hues overpower the blues. I'm glad you've found a product you are happy with, as have I. There's no sense in arguing opinions, nor taking anything personally. It really doesn't matter to me whether someone uses this polish or that wax...but I feel that my experience with different products allows me to share the opinions that I have formed through that experience. Perhaps I should have more directly contested your post, or not replied at all. I hope my response here substantiates my previous claims and further clarifies that those claims are of opinion in nature.

Dave

Intermezzo 06-18-2002 11:52 AM

Agreed! Although I don't agree with your opinion on carnauba yellowing, there really is no sense in going back and forth about this. I'm sure your car is pretty stunning and would knock the socks off any enthusiast detailer who is still currently using OTC brands and would absolutely kill to find out what product you were using. And I'm very happy with the shine on my car as well. To each his/her own.

Dave95C4 06-18-2002 01:36 PM

:cheers: One thing is for sure, those high quality carnauba waxes will make paint glow like crazy. One of my roommates uses Zaino religiously, but also enjoys that glowing reflection you get from waxes like Meguiars. His solution is to use M's Pro #7 on top of the Zaino before he goes to a show, then washes his truck immediately afterwards and re-Zainos. It's all about what you like, what you want, and just as long as you're happy with what you're using...that's the most important thing.