CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 to offer 8 speed auto & 7 speed manual (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3170169-c7-to-offer-8-speed-auto-and-7-speed-manual.html)

VNAMVET 11-20-2012 06:37 PM

C7 to offer 8 speed auto & 7 speed manual

Aisin to build A8 and ZF to build 7 speed
manual according to latest info from LSX-tv.com

BlueOx 11-20-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by VNAMVET (Post 1582380922)
Asin to build A8 and ZF to build 7 speed
manual according to latest info.

And that info is where?

You_Vette_Your_Ass 11-20-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by VNAMVET (Post 1582380922)
Asin to build A8 and ZF to build 7 speed
manual according to latest info.

Awesome avatar. I wonder how many commanders Betrayus relieved for the same things he did?

VNAMVET 11-20-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582380936)
And that info is where?

Sorry, my bad....... its on LSX TV.com/news/c7-corvettegetting placeholder-8-speed-auto.

Info was just received via cell phone message.

According to Motor Trend, GM has found itself in a bit of a bine regarging it's next generation transmissions for the up coming C7 Corvette. Their own in-house units is not quite ready yet, so the General has outsourced the work to Aisin.

VNAMVET 11-20-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by You_Vette_Your_Ass (Post 1582380946)
Awesome avatar. I wonder how many commanders Betrayus relieved for the same things he did?

......time for a new one........he's toast.

Dominic Toretto 11-20-2012 07:42 PM

What country is Aisin out of?

-Alex

Jinx 11-20-2012 07:57 PM

Which is worse? A one-year Aisin eight-speed unit, or a one-year carryover GM six-speed unit?

.Jinx

John T 11-20-2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1582381566)
Which is worse? A one-year Aisin eight-speed unit, or a one-year carryover GM six-speed unit?

.Jinx

i have read great things about this Lexus (Aisin) 8 speed .

BlueOx 11-20-2012 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1582381566)

.Jinx

Another GM screw-up that is a no-win situation. If the Aisin is fabulous, people will whine for years that they couldn't get it. If it is crap, people will whine for years that they were forced to get it. The first year whammy is going to last forever on CF!

As to the old C6 tranny, that assumes the existing tranny could be modified in time to fit the new engine, chassis, etc.

Neither option is good, especially from a marketing standpoint.

VNAMVET 11-20-2012 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 1582381452)
What country is Aisin out of?

-Alex

Toyota owns a 51% interest, so it may be Japan. The Lexus IS F uses an Aisin 8 speed

CaryKen 11-20-2012 08:46 PM

Here's an article on the ZF 7-speed manual that they built for Porsche:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012...-20120511.html

Fascinating fact: On Porsche's implementation, the engine shuts off as soon as you shift into neutral and release the clutch.

Reciprocal 11-20-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582381692)
If the Aisin is fabulous, people will whine for years that they couldn't get it. If it is crap, people will whine for years that they were forced to get it. The first year whammy is going to last forever on CF!

I won't speculate on the future, but if the Aisin 8-speed is indeed the transmission used in the Lexus IS-F that I had, it was without question fabulous. As far as I knew, the 8 speed auto in my Lexus was "Lexus made" but I never looked into the outsourcing of it. This much I can say, Lexus only used that 8-speed auto in the LS series and the IS-F, the latter was tuned for performance with 100 ms upshifts, throttle matching blips for downshifts, it was very very crisp, slick and fast! The IS-F has a 5.0L 416hp V8, with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. It was very very close in speed of shifts to the BMW M3 with its 6 speed DCT dual clutch transmission, yet retained nearly imperceptible shifts when in the "Auto" mode. I think the only tranny that could top it for all out performance would be a BMW DCT, Porsche PDK or GT-R, yet I'd bet the house none of those can approach the smooth shifting refinement, quiet operation or reliability of the Lexus 8-spd when in full "Auto".

Qweklain 11-20-2012 08:55 PM

I like the idea of both of those, but as BlueOx mentioned, this really seems like a bad move on GM's part. I am hoping this is just a rumor!

BMWDAD 11-20-2012 09:10 PM

Lexus IS F transmission quote

By far my favorite aspect of the IS F however - and I can't believe I'm about to say this - is the automatic transmission. Not because it has eight gears - but because it's the closest thing to a dual personality gearbox currently available. Forget the sequential manuals. They're great in manual mode, but bad in auto mode. The dual clutch systems are better, playin' automatic very convincingly, but they disappoint in manual mode with a less-than-smooth getaway. The IS F gearbox utilizes its torque converter straight off the line for smoothness, and then locks out second through eighth gears to feel like a true manual. And its shifts in manual mode are amazingly quick, with an audible "beeeep" alerting you to pull the paddle back just before you tap into the rev limiter - very cool. This is truly one of the best gearboxes in the world.

BMWDAD 11-20-2012 09:26 PM

7 speed review in 911

The seven-speed manual shift pattern is that of a six-speed but with the seventh forward gear up and to the right; it is of no use beyond its function as a tall, fuel-saving ratio for highway cruising. The gates are very tightly spaced way over there, so Porsche blocks out seventh electronically unless you first select fifth or sixth. People will reflexively complain about electro-nanny tyranny, and some forum poster somewhere will surely tell you how to disable the lockout, but that would be silly.

That’s because, unlike GM’s one-to-four skip-shift, which exists solely to help the car’s fuel-economy test numbers, this lockout is for driver convenience. Porsche found in testing that it was far too easy to accidentally select seventh when you’re intending to upshift into fifth. As soon as you get fifth, the lockout deactivates. After probing its function a few times, we ceased to notice it. The Carrera S still accelerates up hills in seventh, but the base Carrera probably won’t do so much quicker than water.

BlueOx 11-20-2012 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by BMWDAD (Post 1582382084)
Lexus IS F transmission quote

By far my favorite aspect of the IS F however - and I can't believe I'm about to say this - is the automatic transmission. Not because it has eight gears - but because it's the closest thing to a dual personality gearbox currently available. Forget the sequential manuals. They're great in manual mode, but bad in auto mode. The dual clutch systems are better, playin' automatic very convincingly, but they disappoint in manual mode with a less-than-smooth getaway. The IS F gearbox utilizes its torque converter straight off the line for smoothness, and then locks out second through eighth gears to feel like a true manual. And its shifts in manual mode are amazingly quick, with an audible "beeeep" alerting you to pull the paddle back just before you tap into the rev limiter - very cool. This is truly one of the best gearboxes in the world.

One can only hope that the folks in Toledo, Ohio, will get their poop in a group and start producing the GM version sooner! :leaving:
http://www.hopperhome.com/Poop1.JPG

Notch 11-20-2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by CaryKen (Post 1582381917)
Fascinating fact: On Porsche's implementation, the engine shuts off as soon as you shift into neutral and release the clutch.

That feature can be deselected.

Nitrous Oxide 11-20-2012 10:41 PM

ZF did the C4 ZR-1 transmission, if I'm not mistaken. It's centuries ago, so I guess it's just a fun fact.

I still can't figure out why I need 7 speeds. Not that I've tried very hard.

OnPoint 11-20-2012 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1582382610)
That feature can be deselected.

It's too bad that deselection couldn't occur on the order form.

Michael A 11-21-2012 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582381692)
Another GM screw-up that is a no-win situation.

What's the alternative? The GM one is not yet available, and they don't want to send a new car out with an outdated transmission.

There isn't anything I've seen that says they can't stick with the Aisen unit if it works well.

Well, there is one alternative. Buy a manual. It's a sports car.

Michael