CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Engines made in Mexico (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3170212-engines-made-in-mexico.html)

GreginNH 11-20-2012 08:16 PM

Engines made in Mexico

Was checking out some 2013 base models the other day. I was surprised to see the engines were made in Mexico. When did this start?

child_of_fire 11-20-2012 08:25 PM

aye carumba! really? guess my '09 just went up in value.

red2012 11-20-2012 08:25 PM

i dont know when it started but i just looked at the window sticker for my '12 coupe and it says; country of origin; motor USA, transmission USA.

child_of_fire 11-20-2012 08:50 PM

It should more accurately say: "made in USA (but with parts entirely manufactured in china and assembled in mexico or canada)"

Admiral Ballsy 11-20-2012 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by GreginNH (Post 1582381704)
Was checking out some 2013 base models the other day. I was surprised to see the engines were made in Mexico. When did this start?

This came up a while back. The sticker indicates predominant content, not necessarily location of assembly.

phileaglesfan 11-20-2012 09:04 PM

Sticker is wrong as mine says US but was actually built in Canada.

Mexicans do assemble Hemis and the CTS V's motor which probably means the Camaro ZL1s also.

X-RAY 11-20-2012 10:29 PM

Horale'

Vette_DD 11-20-2012 10:32 PM

For early model years of the C6, this is where some of the parts were made. Don't know which of these have changed.

Sway bars and shocks--Germany
engine-Canada
electronics-Mexico and USA
brakes-Australia and Brazil
alternator,spark plugs,starter-Japan
Glass and body-USA
plastic parts-Canada and USA
Trans –Mexico (only the manuals)
Automatics are made in the USA
Per Shopdog – 1/1/08
Torque tube-Australia
wheels--Italy,Japan and USA
lug nuts-Korea

Z11409 6/25/06

PatriotZ 11-20-2012 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1582382625)
For early model years, this is where some of the parts were made. Don't know which of these have changed.

Sway bars and shocks--Germany
engine-Canada
electronics-Mexico and USA
brakes-Australia and Brazil
alternator,spark plugs,starter-Japan
Glass and body-USA
plastic parts-Canada and USA
Automatics are made in the USA
Per Shopdog – 1/1/08
Torque tube-Australia
wheels--Italy,Japan and USA
lug nuts-Korea

Z11409 6/25/06

You are right on Jim....my 85 had wheels made in Japan.....Brakes from the Aussie's and some German components....Not to mention Mexico and Asia...
Global Economy for sure and a shock then.
.....I don't even want to start looking on my Z..:flag:

Vette_DD 11-21-2012 12:01 AM

I was talking about early model years of the C6, so I did edit my original post. I had a C4, but had no idea where any of its parts were made. :lol:

JCtx 11-21-2012 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1582382625)

2012 GS manual and Tremec T6060 is made in USA (and engine as well). I was blaming the poor Mexicans because the POS crunches in 2nd when cold. But after seeing your post, checked my window sticker, and it says USA. Geez.

child_of_fire 11-21-2012 12:17 AM

wheels "made in italy" sounds enticing. but they are still "cheap" cast aluminum. even volkswagen put forged wheels on there cars.

JimmyLee 11-21-2012 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by child_of_fire (Post 1582381780)
aye carumba! really? guess my '09 just went up in value.

Racist comment. We are all humans and we live throughout the planet. I'm certain that the workers living in Mexico are proud of the work they do on the Corvette.

child_of_fire 11-21-2012 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyLee (Post 1582383258)
Racist comment. We are all humans and we live throughout the planet. I'm certain that the workers living in Mexico are proud of the work they do on the Corvette.

racist? not really. patriotism more likely. frowning upon outsourced work was the idea. but i guess you wouldnt know what that means. i had a volkswagen that was made in mexico and it was one of the more quality cars i ever owned.

C7 BOB 11-21-2012 01:32 AM

THE ENGINES ARE NOT MADE IN MEXICO. THE BASE ENGINES ARE MADE IN CANADA. THE OTHERS ARE MADE IN MICHIGAN.

http://file.walagata.com/w/mazdabob/BS1.jpg

FactoryZ51 11-21-2012 01:42 AM

As Jackie Moon said, "ELE."

CaryBob 11-21-2012 08:14 AM

As has been covered repeatedly, the country of origin is not the same thing as the assembly plant. The origin of each component is determined by, basically, the value of the parts. All LS3 engines are assembled either at Wixom in Michigan or St. catherines in Ontario depending on whether they are wet or dry sump. The tremac transmissions are assembled in Mexico. The country on the window sticker is not where they were assembled. If the parts are sourced from suppliers in, let's say five countries, and Mexico's parts exceed the value of any of the other four, then Mexico will be shown as the country of origin.

We should all remember that GM sells more cars outside the US than it does inside the US and it has plants all over the world. Something like 45 plants in 15 or so countries outside the US. Individual parts could theoretically come from anywhere. But the engine assemblies are in the US and Canada.

heli-vette 11-21-2012 08:50 AM

Most " Amarecan " car makers cast their engine blocks in Mexico . The whole EPA , liability , labor costs are less of an issue . So it can be a U.S. engine with outsourced parts .

talon90 11-21-2012 09:14 AM

The engines are not made in Mexico. They are made in St. Catherine's Ontario Canada for the wet sump version and Wixom Michigan for the dry sump version. No Corvette engines are made in Mexico. Don't confuse the NAFTA verbiage of "Country of Origin" for the manufacturing location. To work within the trade and Tariff guidelines set forth by NAFTA, the Country of Origin is purely financially driven. The largest dollar contributor in content (component part) gets the nod as the country of origin. It has nothing to do with where it was assembled.

CTHEUSA08 11-21-2012 09:16 AM

Wherever it's made or assembled, by far the best sports car for the cost. I love my made in (fill in the blank) Corvette!!!

:woohoo: