CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   How many C6Z owners are gonna jump ship? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3180145-how-many-c6z-owners-are-gonna-jump-ship.html)

Lifted07Sierra 12-10-2012 12:02 AM

How many C6Z owners are gonna jump ship?

Im in the market for a new car now to use as a DD but it'd be hard to pass up a smoking deal on a C6Z if they are going to be flooding the market when the C7 is out.

This was discussed I think about 2 months ago before we knew what engine was going to be in it and now that we've basically seen (Im pretty confident we have) the new C7 with those red renderings how many C6Z guys are gonna grab one first year?

Jawnathin 12-10-2012 03:16 AM

I think some folks will (and already have) but not me. Couldn't be happier with my C6Z, its a really special car. Love the big cubes and high revs. Very unique and will be a rarity as time goes on. Oh, and don't get me started on the exhaust noise... its heavenly! If you end up getting one, you'll absolutely love it.

I am looking forward to the C7 and depending on what it offers, I may be interested in a high performance version down the line, but hesitant as I do want to experience different sports cars as well (911s, Vipers, and such). One of these will park along side the C6Z.

Jinx 12-10-2012 04:44 AM

Do you really expect 505hp 427cube C6Z owners to trade down to a first-year C7?
Or just the 638hp supercharged C6Z owners?

ufaj26 12-10-2012 06:23 AM

I'm am as anxious as anyone else to actually the see the C7 but dont see many of the Z car owners going for less HP. Some may do it just for the new body style if it's really a knock out and lives up to the hype in regards to electronics, interior etc. etc.

Bluewasp 12-10-2012 06:54 AM

I wouldn't tade my 427 for a car with less power.

Zap City 12-10-2012 09:11 AM

I'm actually going to pick up a Z regardless of the C7 if plans go as intended.

Rubber Ducky 12-10-2012 09:27 AM

Probably. Vert.

BlueOx 12-10-2012 09:40 AM

I imagine asking the folks in the C6Z forum would make a lot more sense.:rofl:
BTW, how is buying a new Corvette jumping ship?

Suns_PSD 12-10-2012 10:18 AM

As a daily driver, if the C7 is smaller, lighter, as torquey, dramatically better interior, notably better mpg, new warranty, and possibly performs within a hair of C6Z performance, plus the much improved (I know this is subjective) aesthetics I think many people will. What if the C7 for $55K performs 97% as well as a used C6Z? How much would you be willing to spend for the old design used when you can have a 2014 for $55K?

If the C7 runs the same Nurburgring times as say a C6Z that would really say a lot. And frankly even as a track day guy myself, that wringing it out only represents 1% of my total drive time so it's not wise to buy a vehicle just for that alone.

I love saving money and I even tried to buy a C6Z in the last couple of months but I'm glad the trade-in numbers didn't work because I see a C7 in my future.

Larry/car 12-10-2012 11:29 AM

It is power to weight ratio that I am concerned with. Currently the C6 with 430 HP = 7.44 lb per hp. If the C7's base weight is reduced to 3,000 lb., and the engine has 430 HP that would equal 6.9 lb per hp. With this much weight reduction the HP could actually be reduced to 405 HP with the same power to weight as the current C6. We will get the actual numbers at introduction.

Z_Rocks 12-10-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD (Post 1582530941)
What if the C7 for $55K performs 97% as well as a used C6Z? How much would you be willing to spend for the old design used when you can have a 2014 for $55K?

Excellent point! :iagree:
And actually, I think C7 will perform close to 97% of C6Z06 for less money. If the car is lighter and better MPG, it makes more sense to get C7.

toxin440 12-10-2012 11:46 AM

meh -- if they unveil it in January -- and you can't get your hands on one till say August or September? I have a feeling for the first few months they will be VERY over priced.

Worst case in my opinion -- from today, you are looking at a year wait before you can get your hands on a reasonable price C7. I'm sure the interior is going to be amazing, but it's a first generation car and I wouldn't want to gamble away 50-60-70K? on something that's first year and a base model.

Tigershark3 12-10-2012 11:57 AM

Love my Z so it won't happen here, at least not now... but may consider a C7 in 4 years when my extended warranty runs out. :cheers:

Glenn Quagmire 12-10-2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1582529735)
Or just the 638hp supercharged C6Z owners?

:iagree:

SanDiegoBert 12-10-2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by toxin440 (Post 1582531618)
meh -- if they unveil it in January -- and you can't get your hands on one till say August or September? I have a feeling for the first few months they will be VERY over priced.

Worst case in my opinion -- from today, you are looking at a year wait before you can get your hands on a reasonable price C7. I'm sure the interior is going to be amazing, but it's a first generation car and I wouldn't want to gamble away 50-60-70K? on something that's first year and a base model.

:iagree:

Well stated, and true.

Landru 12-10-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 1582529735)

Bingo.
Unless C7 matches or bests the LS-7, I'll check to the dealer & keep my Z06. Wait & see what else will be offered down the line.

For me to trade- down, performance-wise, makes no sense a'tall.

Reciprocal 12-10-2012 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD (Post 1582530941)
As a daily driver, if the C7 is smaller, lighter, as torquey, dramatically better interior, notably better mpg, new warranty, and possibly performs within a hair of C6Z performance, plus the much improved (I know this is subjective) aesthetics I think many people will. What if the C7 for $55K performs 97% as well as a used C6Z? How much would you be willing to spend for the old design used when you can have a 2014 for $55K?

If the C7 runs the same Nurburgring times as say a C6Z that would really say a lot. And frankly even as a track day guy myself, that wringing it out only represents 1% of my total drive time so it's not wise to buy a vehicle just for that alone.

I love saving money and I even tried to buy a C6Z in the last couple of months but I'm glad the trade-in numbers didn't work because I see a C7 in my future.

That's a lot of "if" but you can always hope.

goatts 12-10-2012 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra (Post 1582529261)
Im in the market for a new car now to use as a DD but it'd be hard to pass up a smoking deal on a C6Z if they are going to be flooding the market when the C7 is out.

This was discussed I think about 2 months ago before we knew what engine was going to be in it and now that we've basically seen (Im pretty confident we have) the new C7 with those red renderings how many C6Z guys are gonna grab one first year?

No way. I'll wait for the C7Z.

OnPoint 12-10-2012 12:55 PM

My C6ZR, Good Lord willing, is not going anywhere anytime soon; it's just too much fun to drive. Maybe joined down the road by a C7 stable mate. Just have to wait and see.

SlickShoes 12-10-2012 12:58 PM

Some narrow minded people in here.

Then again, a lot of Z06 drivers are. I'm baffled how an entire group of people, many with the means to trade out, can scoff at and denounce the idea of purchasing a car that had the potential to be superior in every single way to its predecessor, wholly upon the pretense that they stand to lose penis points in the form of of a couple dozen horsepower in the scope of +/- 500.

Individual aesthetic preferences aside, it will likely be a simply better car in terms of design, technology, fit and finish (guaranteed), balance, efficiency, and utility. But loooord alllllmighty don't they best be takin' away my horsepowers.

:rolleyes: