CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Another body mount ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3180604-another-body-mount.html)

CF6873 12-10-2012 08:13 PM

Another body mount ?

I'm thinking that I want to upgrade the body mounts on my 68 vert to rubber.

I DO NOT want to do a body lift. Been there done that on my 73 a few years back.

I want to do the one side at a time method.

How are you guys getting the Blaster onto the bolt threads on #3?

I don't want to break or cut the bolts which then means a body lift.

Thanks for any suggestions

Lil" Red Corvette 12-10-2012 09:08 PM

Do you still have the original cushions? On 3 and 6 I just did the blaster from the top. I doubt any of it got to the threads but maybe some did. I kept hitting all of them with the blaster for a couple weeks before attempting to remove them. I was lucky and all mine came out. 4 and 8 were the biggest problem on mine because the cage nuts were gone. Mine is a vert so that meant taking the deck lid and hinges out. That is where I am now. I'm in the process of replacing the cage nuts and the reinforcements.

Don't use a impact wrench. Go slow and easy and cross your fingers. Good luck.

Tom Green 12-10-2012 09:19 PM

Though I'm new at this also, an old hotrod guy told me to soak them for 2-3 days and then take a impact gun, blunt tip and put it against the side of the head of the bolt. Give it about 3-4 quick hits and see if that doesn't break them loose. It sure worked for me!

Lil" Red Corvette 12-11-2012 12:00 AM

:iagree: But I guess I was more talking about the back two. Thought maybe the impact gun would do more damage than good on the cage nuts back there.

CF6873 12-11-2012 07:12 AM

Lil Red,

Can you please give some detail to how you removed the hinges and springs?

Thanks,

gcusmano74 12-11-2012 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by CF6873 (Post 1582536037)
I'm thinking that I want to upgrade the body mounts on my 68 vert to rubber.

I DO NOT want to do a body lift. Been there done that on my 73 a few years back.

I want to do the one side at a time method.

How are you guys getting the Blaster onto the bolt threads on #3?

I don't want to break or cut the bolts which then means a body lift.

Thanks for any suggestions

You should be able to spray the caged nuts on the #3 mounts from underneath the car. Use the plastic tube to reach them.

gcusmano74 12-11-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by CF6873 (Post 1582538775)
Lil Red,

Can you please give some detail to how you removed the hinges and springs?

Thanks,

They are removed as a unit. Remove the FG panel first.
It's a huge PITA. You need a small 1/2" box wrench and tons of patience to remove the upper bolts. I slotted the outboard upper mounting hole before I put them back on. I preinstalled the bolt loosely before I replaced the hinge box.

Tom Green 12-11-2012 01:18 PM

Yeah, your probably right on the back ones. I just sawed them off and hit up on the stem of the bolt to break the cage loose. Some of the guys on this forum just replaced the cage with a large fender washer and nut

champs65 12-11-2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Green (Post 1582536632)
Though I'm new at this also, an old hotrod guy told me to soak them for 2-3 days and then take a impact gun, blunt tip and put it against the side of the head of the bolt. Give it about 3-4 quick hits and see if that doesn't break them loose. It sure worked for me!

:iagree:
Vibration is your friend here.

U17 12-11-2012 06:13 PM

Best money spent .... Paid a Corvette shop to do all of them .....

leadfoot4 12-11-2012 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Green (Post 1582541188)
Yeah, your probably right on the back ones. I just sawed them off and hit up on the stem of the bolt to break the cage loose. Some of the guys on this forum just replaced the cage with a large fender washer and nut

I did this job a long time age, so some of the details have been lost in my memory, but....

Somehow or other, I was able to reach the opposite corners of the caged nut with a drill, drilled into the nut, and "split" the nut, allowing the bolt to drop out. Once I had the body lifted up a little, I was able to carefull open up one side of the cage and remove the pieces of the nut. I then made another nut from a rectangular piece of 3/8" thick steel, installed it in the cage, and bent the side of the cage back down.

AirborneSilva 12-11-2012 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by U17 (Post 1582543750)
Best money spent .... Paid a Corvette shop to do all of them .....

What did they charge, if I may ask... I'm dreading doing this job :ack:

Lil" Red Corvette 12-14-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by gcusmano74 (Post 1582539478)
They are removed as a unit. Remove the FG panel first.
It's a huge PITA. You need a small 1/2" box wrench and tons of patience to remove the upper bolts. I slotted the outboard upper mounting hole before I put them back on. I preinstalled the bolt loosely before I replaced the hinge box.

Good idea. I haven't got to the point yet of having to put them back on. I will try what you did when I do.

Lil" Red Corvette 12-14-2012 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva (Post 1582544525)
What did they charge, if I may ask... I'm dreading doing this job :ack:

I'm sure it wasn't cheap. You don't have any fun unless you do it yourself. :yesnod: