CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Tire Opinions Anyone? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3182236-tire-opinions-anyone.html)

nitroman1 12-13-2012 06:53 PM

Tire Opinions Anyone?

Yes I am dropping the $1500 or so this Friday on some new skins, alignment, etc. and would value hearing opinions. I did get 21K on the G/Y RF'S on my daily driver 05' base, my first year of ownership. Fronts are gone, Rears 5/32. Since I have no other car, I do encounter some ice and snow once in awhile in the DFW area. I am leaning towards all season tires due to this and know all too well the summer tire in the winter issues (gotta warm em up), but still will not rule out summer tires.I also am considering non-run flats. My question is: How would you rate the following tires I am considering from your experience.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP
Continental Extreme Contact DWS
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 (summer tire)
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT (summer tire)
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (summer tire)

Thank for your feedback. Much appreciated! :cool:

hawkgfr 12-13-2012 06:58 PM

Wide oval rft...under 1200 installed...more quiet that good/year and the added bonus of double the miles...

wolfdogs 12-13-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by nitroman1 (Post 1582561339)
Yes I am dropping the $1500 or so this Friday on some new skins, alignment, etc. and would value hearing opinions. I did get 21K on the G/Y RF'S on my daily driver 05' base, my first year of ownership. Fronts are gone, Rears 5/32. Since I have no other car, I do encounter some ice and snow once in awhile in the DFW area. I am leaning towards all season tires due to this and know all too well the summer tire in the winter issues (gotta warm em up), but still will not rule out summer tires.I also am considering non-run flats. My question is: How would you rate the following tires I am considering from your experience.

1.Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP
2.Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT (summer tire)

these are the only two I personally would consider.. but thats just me... :thumbs::cheers:

TerryL 12-13-2012 07:08 PM

Just going over 4,000 on my Firehawks but so far, very quiet and wearing well. Very sticky. Until warmed up they don't like a slick surface though.

vettn71 12-13-2012 07:17 PM

I put Michelin Pilot Sport AS ZPs on my 07. They were great tires, smooth riding, good tracton in all weather and showed very little wear with 15,000 miles. I traded my 07 in for a white GS coupe this weekend. Wish I could have kept the tires. I'm in the DFW area also. Not looking forward to driving on the Run Craps with 10,000 on them

Jim

Mike Campbell 12-13-2012 07:22 PM

About a year ago, after getting 25K on my stock RFt's on my 06 I faced the same problem of which tires to get. I had a short list of all the same as your with one exception, Nitto INVO's. Had I not moved down here to SW Florida, I would have paid the extra and went with the Michelin's. But, since I need a more summer type tire, and also tires that handle well in rain ( because it does rain down here, in buckets) I chose between the Hankooks and the Invo's. I decided upon the INVOs and have not looked back. Excellent handling, quiet and good price. :thumbs: But, if you still need occasional cold weather tires for a good price, the Continentals are a nice less expensive alternative. Good luck!

harley2 12-13-2012 07:26 PM

Just replaced my GY on 2008 Cpe got 32,000 miles on originals!

I put Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus Zp's last month! had I known had good these tires are I would have bought them the day I got home from Bowling Green!

They make it a much nicer car to drive!!

I think the new C7 will have michelins instead of the good years!!

AORoads 12-13-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by wolfdogs (Post 1582561436)

these are the only two I personally would consider.. but thats just me... :thumbs::cheers:

:iagree: X 2

MKenM 12-13-2012 07:37 PM

On the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP tires they have a wear rating of 500 in comparison the the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP's which have a rating of 220. 100 is the base, that means the AS Plus tire will wear 5 times better.

That is in theory not taking into consideration your driving habits. Although they both have the same speed rating it would seem that the PS2's have a much harder compound to last that long. Which may affect the perceived ride comfort.

More importantly if you track the car you may not want a harder compound.

LucaBrasiAZ 12-13-2012 07:43 PM

:beatdeadhorse:

fastter 12-13-2012 08:08 PM

I've been running the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFTs for the past few summers. I'm at 22,500 miles on them now and developing quite a bit of noise. :ack: Enough noise that I'm considering a set of Michelins next summer. Handling in the rain sucked last year, as well.

BuckyThreadkiller 12-13-2012 08:10 PM

If road noise is an issue - I had Firestones on my C5 and they were great tires and quieter (obviously) than the Goodyears but also quieter than the Michelins I have on the C6.

As far as handling goes I'd give it to the Pilot Sports. But I don't know if they are $300 better than the Firestones.

BackInBlack05 12-13-2012 08:32 PM

You couldn't give me a set of Firestones. I was almost happy when mine got stolen. Running a set of GY take-offs now. Much better tire.

I've had good GY,s and bad GY's Never had a bad Mich. The Porsche and the Roush have Conti's and I've been quite happy with them. The DWS's give a very plush ride compared to BFG G-force. Not as grippy, but good communication. The DW's have a bit more grip it seems tho i seldom get to drive the Roush (wife's car).

Mach2 12-13-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by hawkgfr (Post 1582561398)
Wide oval rft...under 1200 installed...more quiet that good/year and the added bonus of double the miles...

I too had Firestone Firehawk RFT's on my 10 C6 1LT Coupe. Great bang for the buck, quieter than stock & good mileage. If money's not a prob, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP is the go to deal. :cheers: :flag:

LSD 2005 12-13-2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by wolfdogs (Post 1582561436)

:iagree: When the time came to replace the G/Y RF'S, I decided on Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFTs. They are quieter than the G/Y and were very pleased with them until I recently upgraded to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP. In my opinion, the Michelins are a much better overall tire.

GrayC5 12-13-2012 09:51 PM

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs :thumbs: :thumbs:

I haven't run any of the others you list but we did have a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs on our C5 vert when we sold it. Excellent tire! The ride, quietness, wet traction and overall handling was much better than the OEM GY RFs. I'd even consider putting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs on our 2013 GS if they were available in GS sizes. :yesnod:

franman69 12-13-2012 10:00 PM

Michelin AS ZP. Amazing tires. Good ride, quiet and I've got over 20000 on this set and they look new every time I take off the wheels. I've used them at the track and they suck for that but what do you want from a RF? I gotta get track wheels and sneakers this spring... R888 is where I'm leaning. For the street I love the peace of mind on the michelins.

Gearhead Jim 12-14-2012 12:44 PM

If OP is concerned about cold/snow/ice on a few days when he needs to drive, I'd go with the Michelin A/S. With only one car, he doesn't want to wreck it.

I would not want the Firestones, we had a set on our C5 and I'm told they are the same tire except for size as the C6. When we had about 1" of snow in our driveway, I couldn't even get moving on the Firestones. The Michelin A/S will easily go up the inclined section of the driveway in 2" of snow, maybe more but I haven't tested them in deeper.

LS WON 12-14-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by nitroman1 (Post 1582561339)

I also have 2005 base Corvette coupe and got 44,000+ on the fronts before having to replace those. The rears were still in fine shape at that time but I replaced all 4 tires at the same time with Continental Extreme Contact DWS as those were the lowest cost all season brand name tires with long treadwear rating. I am very happy with them.
There is also another Extreme Dry and Wet tire but it has a lower treadwear rating and costs just a tad more than the DWS Continentals all season tires.