CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   What do you guys think of this C5-related vehicle? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3185191-what-do-you-guys-think-of-this-c5-related-vehicle.html)

$$$frumnuttin' 12-19-2012 12:46 PM

What do you guys think of this C5-related vehicle?

This XLR caught my eye, and the more I look at it, the more I like it as a nice alternative 'beater'..:D When they first came out I never liked them, but this one is kind of cool...would look nice next to the C5 in the garage.:cheers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...#ht_500wt_1182

Oh, and a nice blank slate for modding!

Oh 2 Fun 12-19-2012 12:55 PM

I'd take one.....
Good wifey car too.....

Maxx_Z06 12-19-2012 01:00 PM

Looks nice.... i would be completely sold if it was the V series. But still a sharp looking car.

CQRT 12-19-2012 01:06 PM

It's on the C6 platform and was built in the Bowling Green facility, right ? - -I guess theyv'e stopped building them but I think they're cool . . .:cool:

JohnnyDee 12-19-2012 01:13 PM

I've been wanting one of these for awhile now. :smiliedrool: Just waiting for the right one at the right price.

Instigator99 12-19-2012 01:39 PM

Well the color is right, that's for sure.

-Eric

3boystoys 12-19-2012 01:49 PM

Problem is the lame motor.

K-Spaz 12-19-2012 02:02 PM

I can't get why newer cars all look like chopped streetrods. Wth is it with the 4' high doors, and no windows? Industry wide, it's like everyone has this fettish with chopping the tops, but at the same time, they make the car taller?

Personally, I'm just not into the look of this... jmho. I think I'd be in a Buick first.

Cybermind 12-19-2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by K-Spaz (Post 1582609066)
I can't get why newer cars all look like chopped streetrods. Wth is it with the 4' high doors, and no windows? Industry wide, it's like everyone has this fettish with chopping the tops, but at the same time, they make the car taller?

I believe a lot of it has to do with stricter side impact safety requirements. They make the door higher so they can add better side impact airbags and have them function more effectively. Of course, this is exagerated on some cars such as the Camaro. I think the Camaro's case, it was more styling than safety.

Unfortunately the days of being able to stick your elbow out the window while driving are gone.

Vetteman Jack 12-19-2012 03:21 PM

Car looks like it has been well taken care of. Not sure what used XLRs are going for these days though. Would be a nice second car for a DD.

QCVette 12-19-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 3boystoys (Post 1582608971)
Problem is the lame motor.

:iagree:
Not only less performance, but serious problems too.

Try searching for Northstar problems. They are very susceptible to corrosion at the head bolts. That leads to a head gasket leak and overheating. There is no repair!

I had a 2000 SLS that had the problem, and my brother in law had a problem one too.

There are a lot of good priced Cadillacs out there, but when you figure in a new motor they aren't priced well any more.

If you do get it, make sure to keep up with coolant maintenance.

usgecko 12-19-2012 04:27 PM

Sharp looking car for sure

allred 12-19-2012 05:16 PM

What are you guys talking about........that car is down right fuglee!

And, they have the audacity to want nearly $34Grand for the thing with 54,000 miles on its head-gasket-blowing NorthStar. That's about 5 Grand more than KKB estimates a same-year C6 is worth.

http://s13.postimage.org/60mcrqkzr/fugle_CAD.jpg

srs244 12-19-2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyDee (Post 1582608688)
I've been wanting one of these for awhile now. :smiliedrool: Just waiting for the right one at the right price.

:iagree:me too. they kind of grew on me. thought they were pretty odd looking initially, but the more i saw them, the more i grew to like them. they were priced way out of wack (in my opinion) even for a sporty cadillac which is what probably did them in in my opinion. someone really looking sporty could get the same (with the exception of the retractable hard roof) in a C6 for a lot less money. they certainly had all the bells and whistles though.

Zr-1Mike00 12-19-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by QCVette (Post 1582610233)

Try searching for Northstar problems. They are very susceptible to corrosion at the head bolts. That leads to a head gasket leak and overheating. There is no repair!

I had a 2000 SLS that had the problem, and my brother in law had a problem one too.

There are a lot of good priced Cadillacs out there, but when you figure in a new motor they aren't priced well any more.

The Northstar engines do have issues with over heating. They are very complex engines that require a lot of coolant and water. I have a '99 Eldorado and had the motor rebuilt when my head gasket blew. I can find the contact info for the guy who did it if anyone wants it. He has his own gasket and seating bolts in a kit. The motor was done 4 years ago and it runs like a dream!!

RetiredSFC 97 12-19-2012 05:27 PM

XLR is my second favorite Caddy of all time. The ETC being number one. I would love to have one

RetiredSFC 97 12-19-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by QCVette (Post 1582610233)

Originally Posted by Zr-1Mike00 (Post 1582610670)
The Northstar engines do have issues with over heating. They are very complex engines that require a lot of coolant and water. I have a '99 Eldorado and had the motor rebuilt when my head gasket blew. I can find the contact info for the guy who did it if anyone wants it. He has his own gasket and seating bolts in a kit. The motor was done 4 years ago and it runs like a dream!!

I have a 99 STS and my head gasket is fine and no overheating issues, but I think I'm starting to develop that leak between the top and bottom end. I thought it was the oil pan but it's not. One or two drip every other day or so.

$$$frumnuttin' 12-19-2012 07:20 PM

wow, some interesting problems....and I bet parts are getting hard to find already...I wonder how many were made? I should google it.:D

RMB97LS1 12-19-2012 07:49 PM

Nice car. Interesting about the Northstar issues though. Good luck.

jrose7004 12-19-2012 08:17 PM

I have a neightbor that has a black one.