CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Corvette/Camaro (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3187521-corvette-camaro.html)

VETTE-NV 12-24-2012 02:58 AM

Corvette/Camaro

2 Attachment(s)
Despite a family resemblance in the rear, at anything more than glance the C7 looks nothing nothing like a Camaro. Hopefully when the real thing debuts such comparisons will end. Or maybe not....

blackcorvette06 12-24-2012 03:29 AM

Its ganna look great man. The only thing that's bothering me is that it looks like its going to have rear facia reflectors on each side of the licence plates. I guess every new car has to have em..

JLinCA 12-24-2012 04:03 AM

From the side, not even close. When you get to the back though . . . .

Whether you like it or not, I am guessing when the C7 is officially shown Corvette and Camaro are going to be used a lot when talking about this car.

I think it's sad that anything even remotely Camaroesque had to be used on Chevy's flagship.

Jinx 12-24-2012 05:01 AM

C6's rear end is closer to Camaro than C7's.

SCM_Crash 12-24-2012 07:39 AM

Sorry, but the Camaro's tail lights are more Corvette than Camaro. When was the last time a Camaro had two tail lights like a Corvette?

FrankLP 12-24-2012 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1582644703)
Despite a family resemblance in the rear, at anything more than glance the C7 looks nothing nothing like a Camaro. Hopefully when the real thing debuts such comparisons will end.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...vette-rear.jpg

This! Great post.

Here's a quick "tweak" on the comparison:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps7c4c3410.jpg

sfc rick 12-24-2012 08:09 AM

Awesome post, I was wondering when this discussion was going to happen.

BlueOx 12-24-2012 08:14 AM

I'm of the opinion that the C7 will be an amazing car and for me, the tail lights don't look a thing like Camaro.

Dominic Sorresso 12-24-2012 08:31 AM

The reason I bought my 71 Camaro in 1971 is because it was supposed to be a "poor man's Vette" and the taillights helped to make that connection.
I see that the C7 lights appear to be more intricate and complex than the ones currently of the Camaro.

CitationZ06@yahoo 12-24-2012 09:58 AM

I wonder what the new Camaro will look like? :lurk:

rad928music 12-24-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1582645103)
Sorry, but the Camaro's tail lights are more Corvette than Camaro. When was the last time a Camaro had two tail lights like a Corvette?

Yep, I agree, the Camaro stole (barrowed) the Vettes rear light Configuration First.

slief 12-24-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1582644703)
Despite a family resemblance in the rear, at anything more than glance the C7 looks nothing nothing like a Camaro. Hopefully when the real thing debuts such comparisons will end. Or maybe not....

You are certainly right! The C7 makes the Camaro look like a pig!
I for one like what I see. As much as I love my Z06, I definately see a C7 in my future. That said, I will likely give it 2-3 years before I take the plunge so as to allow prices to come down to earth and new features to come forth.

My only complaint... The round wheels. Round wheels are so old school! :smash:

Rocketmanwpb 12-24-2012 11:31 AM

The same design team that produced the previous Camaro also designed the C5. Possible this has occurred again. If I recall GM had a competition between the design teams for the C5 and the California team won.

That might mean some design ques are in both cars. I recall the same apprehension when the C5 and the C6 was being developed and the loyalty to the previous design, until the next design was accepted.

JimmyLee 12-24-2012 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Regarding the tail light design, my eyes keep seeing Edsel, not Camaro.
Another member had referred to the light surround as a "hockey stick" shape.

Flex182 12-24-2012 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by FrankLP (Post 1582645127)
This! Great post.

Here's a quick "tweak" on the comparison:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps3b9cba38.jpg

Definitely related, talk about keeping it in the family.

Jinx 12-24-2012 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by scm_crash (Post 1582645103)
sorry, but the camaro's tail lights are more corvette than camaro. When was the last time a camaro had two tail lights like a corvette?

VETTE-NV 12-24-2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flex182 (Post 1582646934)
Definitely related, talk about keeping it in the family.

Yep....but if they're brothers, they're more like Dennis Quaid and Randy Quaid.

skank 12-24-2012 12:39 PM

There's a massive difference between these two. The only correlation between the two are generic forms of the tail lights. Beyond that there's nothing else. The C7 tail light housing's are very complex. All four lights have a splayed shape. The two outer one's direct the light down and out and the two inner lights direct down and inward. This is obviously shaped to direct light down to the ground and the whole rear area when backing up. The rear view camera will view the area behind lighted up. You can see the forms clearly in the rear view. This also means that the tail light lens is using duel directional faceting to direct light down when backing up and straight out when moving forward. A round tail light could never do this duel function without looking odd. I can see why they dropped the old round light look. It would be impossible to light up behind car for the camera. This is going to look so much better anyway. Way more progressive and modern and totally integrates with the overall design. BRILLIANT !!!!

Flex182 12-24-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1582647426)
Yep....but if they're brothers, they're more like Dennis Quaid and Randy Quaid.

:rofl::iagree:

SanDiegoBert 12-24-2012 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyLee (Post 1582646868)
Regarding the tail light design, my eyes keep seeing Edsel, not Camaro.
Another member had referred to surround as a "hockey puck" shape.

Hockey STICK, not puck. A puck is round, a hockey stick is shaped like the taillight surround. Some have mentioned 'sad eyes'.

Some folks are calling the new design "progressive". Huh? How about more complicated and off-putting instead? If you see absolutely no resemblance to the Camaro taillights, then the GM designers have failed to produce what they wanted: Corporate (or Divisional) Design Language.

Others like the dash design because it so resembles the C4 dash? Huh? It's OK to like stuff from three generations ago, but not the last generation? Say what??