CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   School me on superchargers. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3195154-school-me-on-superchargers.html)

whitesmokels1 01-07-2013 03:54 PM

School me on superchargers.

I've had turbos and know if you can weld piping, you can do anything but superchargers are a little different. Are all superchargers basically interchangeable? if i buy a C5 bracket, can i bolt any supercharger to it or are they model specific?
I have a friend wanting to sell a Vortech V-1 S trim he pulled off his LT1 camaro really cheap. could i buy his head unit, a new bracket, piping, bov, injectors, and bap and go?

what should i look at when buying a used supercharger? (shaft play, slack in the gears?)

4DRUSH 01-07-2013 07:45 PM

You're better off buying a complete kit from A&A or ECS.

(ECS is better)

TRIZ 01-07-2013 07:59 PM

(A&A is better)

whitesmokels1 01-07-2013 08:08 PM

Uh oh. I think this thread just turned into a war.

Blitzkrieg 01-07-2013 08:16 PM

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/...dhtro1_400.gif

1320IN9 01-07-2013 08:45 PM

most will say AA or ECS, if you want to make the most power and have the fastest car on the street you should look into a powerdyne kit, best quality out there and customer service is second to none:thumbs:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...FCC8B2A4E1.jpg

longrodlx 01-07-2013 10:33 PM

That powerdyne post has to be a joke lol. Powerdynes are garbage for high HP cars. They are descent for about 6psi on a mustang or ford truck. But I would never buy one. I just bought a D1sc A&A kit. Gonna be installing it in the next week or so

4DRUSH 01-08-2013 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by TRIZ (Post 1582762236)

(A&A is better)

OP wanted Schooled, not Fooled :willy:

MVP'S ZO6 01-08-2013 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by TRIZ (Post 1582762236)

(A&A is better)

To chime in here there's really only two company's that make a blower kit that I'd put on my vette. A&A and ECS. In the end it's personal choice. With both kits in order to go "Super Fast" your going to have to buy more then just a base kit. The base A&A kit is a bit cheaper then the base ECS kit. The base ECS kits generally run paxton novi 1500 blowes the A&A kits generally run vortech V2 SI trim blowers. Vortech owns Paxton. Litterally speaking. A lot of the ECS guys seem to step up to the Novi 2000 blower right off the bat and put a restrictor plate in there to limit boost. (There has been some controversy as to wheather or not the restrictor plate is bad for the head units but I personally don't think so but I've been wrong before. The next step up from the V2 SI trim is the vortech T trim. These like the novi 2000 blowers have been over spun to be in the 800+ WHP range where the novi 2K has also been over spun and produced 800+ WHP maybe a little more. Then there's the vortech YSi which is generally the big boy blower that comes in a relatively small package. Novi's equivilant if you call it that is the Novi 2500 which if I'm not mistaken has a YSi impeller but a bigger volute than the YSi. However I've seen certain classes of racing that won't allow the novi 2.5K but they will allow the YSi. With that said there have been people who are serious about thier racing who have went or were attempting to go from the novi 2.5K to the vortech YSi for that purpose. ECS and thier staff typically spend more time at the drag track then the staff at A&A. That's good because they test and develop and improve their kits there as well as help out customers who drag race. The A&A crew is also always spending countless hours and money refining their kits. Both company's have cars with thier kits in the 8 second range. Based on poles I've seen in the past on these forums there seem to be more people out there who have chosen A&A but that could be do too many reasons. I personally have an A&A Kit on my car with a YSi. If I had to buy an A&A kit all over again, I'd spend the money right off the bat for the YSi and just restrict it.

Both company's will try and sell you their own kits naturally if you were to call each one. However both company's are not opposed to installing the others kit at thier shop if that's what the customer wants. Go to each website, look at the details of each kit and see which one fits your budget for what you want then call each company and talk to them and see what you think and make your decision from there

Good luck!!

Post up if you have questions. I'll try to not be too bias. :lol:

Edit there's actually three centri blower kits that I'd put on my car but one is way out of my price range but that particular kit is indeed bad ass!! Dallas performance.

MVP'S ZO6 01-08-2013 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Architect (Post 1582764885)
Just don't take your car to ECS. A&A is better btw.

:lurk: huh?

Why did my post get edited by a moderator? Did I sat something wrong?

stevieturbo 01-08-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by whitesmokels1 (Post 1582760057)
I've had turbos and know if you can weld piping, you can do anything but superchargers are a little different. Are all superchargers basically interchangeable? if i buy a C5 bracket, can i bolt any supercharger to it or are they model specific?
I have a friend wanting to sell a Vortech V-1 S trim he pulled off his LT1 camaro really cheap. could i buy his head unit, a new bracket, piping, bov, injectors, and bap and go?

what should i look at when buying a used supercharger? (shaft play, slack in the gears?)

I agree with the other posters, it will be easier and better just to buy a full kit.

You can weld pipework just the same way.

Blower is mechanically driven, and is available in clockwise or counter clockwise rotation, depending on how you position the unit. So you must get the correct one.

If the blower intake faces forward, it is generally CCW. If it faces rearwards, generally it is CW.

And all brackets will be engine and vehicle specific. No such parts off the Camaro will fit a Corvette.

Only parts that may be usable are the blower if correct rotation, BOV and BAP as they are generic.

1320IN9 01-08-2013 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by longrodlx (Post 1582763812)
That powerdyne post has to be a joke lol. Powerdynes are garbage for high HP cars. They are descent for about 6psi on a mustang or ford truck. But I would never buy one. I just bought a D1sc A&A kit. Gonna be installing it in the next week or so

joke? it's the best headunit money can buy, not to mention bracket design is by far the best/strongest brackets available on the market today, so i don't know why you think this is a joke.

gcolella 01-08-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by gregs94 (Post 1582765284)
joke? it's the best headunit money can buy, not to mention bracket design is by far the best/strongest brackets available on the market today, so i don't know why you think this is a joke.

I was in the barber shop yesterday,and they were using a powerdyne to dry hair! Lol :rofl:
If you wanna go fast and be reliable ECS hands down!

DOUG @ ECS 01-08-2013 09:17 AM

btw, our pricing actually isn't higher, it's slightly less when you compare the same kit to the same kit. It's just faster... :D

2003VETT 01-08-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by gcolella (Post 1582765492)
I was in the barber shop yesterday,and they were using a powerdyne to dry hair! Lol :rofl:
If you wanna go fast and be reliable ECS hands down!

But you have no hair!!!:rofl::rofl::D

speedraider 01-08-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by gregs94 (Post 1582765284)

:lolg::lolg: their impellers explode like m80's

1320IN9 01-08-2013 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 1582766448)
:lolg::lolg: their impellers explode like m80's

They move a ton of air, no other head unit compares to powerdyne superior quality

4DRUSH 01-08-2013 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2003VETT (Post 1582766445)
But you have no hair!!!:rofl::rofl::D

Good catch :lol:

whitesmokels1 01-08-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1582765176)
I agree with the other posters, it will be easier and better just to buy a full kit.

You can weld pipework just the same way.

Blower is mechanically driven, and is available in clockwise or counter clockwise rotation, depending on how you position the unit. So you must get the correct one.

If the blower intake faces forward, it is generally CCW. If it faces rearwards, generally it is CW.

And all brackets will be engine and vehicle specific. No such parts off the Camaro will fit a Corvette.

Only parts that may be usable are the blower if correct rotation, BOV and BAP as they are generic.

So if i got a bracket for a C5 i could put any head unit on it as long as the rotation was correct?
What I'm thinking is, if I get this V1 and bought a bracket, I could upgrade later down the road if i wanted?

vetten76 01-08-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Architect (Post 1582764885)
Just don't take your car to ECS. A&A is better btw.

My car is at A&A right now. I went with the standard kit in black. I have an automatic and simply don't want too much. Car needs to get me there and back without blowing things up.