CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Lights flickering problem , video inside (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3201842-lights-flickering-problem-video-inside.html)

Mohammed_z 01-17-2013 03:48 PM

Lights flickering problem , video inside

I don't see other problems in the car , but the flickering itself is annoying if I think about it, or just keep looking at the dash playing with idle to see if it's gone or not.

What are possible things that cause this flickering ?

eaglevision993 01-17-2013 04:38 PM

Hi,
I had a similar problem that was caused by a the wire going to the positive battery connector.

But the most common cause is the voltage regualtor in the alternator. I replaced the battery and alternator just to find out that my problem was only a loose connection so check the easy and cheap stuff first.

Does it only flicker with the engine running?

Best regards
Benjamin

Mohammed_z 01-17-2013 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by eaglevision993 (Post 1582866330)
Hi,
I had a similar problem that was caused by a the wire going to the positive battery connector.

But the most common cause is the voltage regualtor in the alternator. I replaced the battery and alternator just to find out that my problem was only a loose connection so check the easy and cheap stuff first.

Does it only flicker with the engine running?

Best regards
Benjamin

Yes , only when the engine running. I hope it just a cheap fix !!

mrmtrtrnd 01-17-2013 05:53 PM

My dash lights flicker just a little and have from the day I bought the car. I agree with 993 that the most common problem is the regulator but not the only cause. I don't know what parts cost there but if it is the alternator it shouldn't cost to much. Hope it is a easy and cheap fix.
Forgot to add if it is the regulator inside the alternator you can buy that part and change it your self without buying the entire alternator.

eaglevision993 01-17-2013 07:07 PM

Could also be a loose ground somewhere, but have the alternator and battery checked out.
A weak battery may also cause this.

Mohammed_z 01-18-2013 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd (Post 1582867134)
My dash lights flicker just a little and have from the day I bought the car. I agree with 993 that the most common problem is the regulator but not the only cause. I don't know what parts cost there but if it is the alternator it shouldn't cost to much. Hope it is a easy and cheap fix.
Forgot to add if it is the regulator inside the alternator you can buy that part and change it your self without buying the entire alternator.

That's a good idea , I will try to search for the regulator. Thanks

Originally Posted by eaglevision993 (Post 1582867893)
Could also be a loose ground somewhere, but have the alternator and battery checked out.
A weak battery may also cause this.

I will test them both , but does a bad regulator drains the battery ? Because I dont feel the battery is weak !

DinoBob 01-18-2013 01:52 AM

Please check the terminal block behind the battery, where all the hot feeds are connected. Mine was in need of replacement. Gladi caught it. Could easily have led to a fire. Same symptoms.

Mohammed_z 01-18-2013 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by DinoBob (Post 1582871301)
Please check the terminal block behind the battery, where all the hot feeds are connected. Mine was in need of replacement. Gladi caught it. Could easily have led to a fire. Same symptoms.

I don't know which terminal you're talking about , do you mean the small fuse box ?

Mohammed_z 01-18-2013 04:57 AM

Is it ok if I installed a higher amp alternator ?

Mohammed_z 01-19-2013 01:21 PM

Update

UPDATE

I removed the alternator , replaced the voltage regulator and the laminated core.

Started the car and the flickering is still there. I think I just wasted some money and I should replace the rectifier now , if i'm not mistaken !!!! :toetap: , I'm an electrician I know the rectifier has diodes and I didn't have a multimeter to check it , took it to a car electrician and after a while he told me it's fine. It doesn't need to be replaced !! :ack:

voltage regulator

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbdf32820.jpg

core

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps10b132d3.jpg

This is a pic of a rectifier , but it's for another car (just to show how it looks) it's almost the same.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps038a00ef.jpg

DinoBob 01-19-2013 01:23 PM

Did you check the terminal block?

DinoBob 01-19-2013 01:24 PM

Check behind the battery for it. It is almost right up against the firewall. All the hot feeds run to it.

Mohammed_z 01-19-2013 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DinoBob (Post 1582884335)
Check behind the battery for it. It is almost right up against the firewall. All the hot feeds run to it.

There is a small fuse box there !! Do I need to remove the battery to see this terminal block ?? Can you show me a pic of that ?

mrmtrtrnd 01-20-2013 10:19 AM

Sorry my bad in my first post I should have added start with connections first then move to the regulator. While the regulator is a common problem so are faulty connections like bad grounds. They are the source of many electrical problems in these cars. I'm trying to trace down a problem in my car and in doing so have found corroded connections and some corroded fuses like I've never seen before. These weren't my problem but would have caused issues in the future.

Mohammed_z 01-20-2013 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd (Post 1582891791)
Sorry my bad in my first post I should have added start with connections first then move to the regulator. While the regulator is a common problem so are faulty connections like bad grounds. They are the source of many electrical problems in these cars. I'm trying to trace down a problem in my car and in doing so have found corroded connections and some corroded fuses like I've never seen before. These weren't my problem but would have caused issues in the future.

Are you having the same issue ?

I'm trying to figure out the terminal that DinoBob mentioned but I'll have some time next weekend so I change the rectifier and search for this terminal.

mrmtrtrnd 01-20-2013 07:51 PM

No I'm having a completely different problem on my car. The engine runs good but intermittently dies. It's been a real pain to find the problem but I think I'm closing in on it.