CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 market appeal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3210389-c7-market-appeal.html)

I Bin Therbefor 01-31-2013 12:42 PM

C7 market appeal

Will the C7 be able to hold on to the traditional buyer while appealing to the new, non-traditional, buyer?

Opinions please. :cheers:

arkus 01-31-2013 12:47 PM

I've been buying vettes since 1980 and loved every Gen . The C7 is a design flop so far for me but thats just me.

BlueOx 01-31-2013 12:53 PM

Of course. The aftermarket will make a complete C6 body kit to give folks the C7 with a C6 body just like you can buy a C2 looking C6.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/files/20...m_Corvette.jpg

Maybe they will even make a C5 (complete with pop-up head lights) body kit for it.

Zymurgy 01-31-2013 12:57 PM

I guess I fit the "traditional buyer" and I love the C7. I'm definitely getting one. I'll be selling my C6.

elegant 01-31-2013 01:33 PM

Ditto. I have and love my C6, and I will be getting a C7!

User 2623 01-31-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1582996852)
Of course. The aftermarket will make a complete C6 body kit to give folks the C7 with a C6 body just like you can buy a C2 looking C6.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/files/20...m_Corvette.jpg

Maybe they will even make a C5 (complete with pop-up head lights) body kit for it.

I for one never did understand this throw back kit concept.... just wrong on so many levels for me.

BlueOx 01-31-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by matthewelle (Post 1582997454)
I for one never did understand this throw back kit concept.... just wrong on so many levels for me.

:iagree: But some folks just need to live in the past, at least on the surface.:D

Racer 01-31-2013 02:17 PM

My opinion is the same as it was in the other 4 identical threads on this subject. Of course it will, I am proof to it, I love it!

Humy 01-31-2013 02:20 PM

I like the C7 and hope to keep my C5 when I get one, I also like the avatar above:rock:

Bill17601 01-31-2013 02:23 PM

I have owned Corvettes for more years hen I want to say. I love he new car. It brings a lot of new technology. I do not mean electric tech but mechanical technology including a much stiffer and lighter frame. As far as other technology if you read up on the new positract system that alone makes huge leap in traction and handling...viva change!

User 2623 01-31-2013 02:25 PM

The trending is inconclusive at this point.
But what is most interesting is the high level of ambivalence over the car in its present reveal state across all demographics.

I've been peering in at the polls here and it seems at last look it's almost split 50/50 as to love & drama, where drama is increasing.
There is however one outlier that normally is thrown out of the evaluation but in this case remains valid in that most say it needs to be seen in person to appreciate the car as a rigorous proof vs. anecdotal impressions.

At this juncture a majority have only pictures to go by.
So the margin of error can be high in regard to these polls based on this element alone.

RJRSW 01-31-2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by arkus (Post 1582996784)
I've been buying vettes since 1980 and loved every Gen . The C7 is a design flop so far for me but thats just me.

:iagree:

I have owned and driven Corvettes since I was 17 and have owned all 6 generations, the new C7 aesthetics to me are a huge disappointment. Looks like an edgier appearing C6 makeover with some engineering refinements but nothing earth shaking like I thought it would be. I think I will just keep my C6 convert. I have owned first year vettes from 4 of the 6 generations so usually am ready to jump when they introduce one but not inspired to do it this time from what I have seen.

From what the head corvette engineer said in the C&D interview video they had to stop the C7 design process twice because of the financial problems and were not able to do the mid engine design that they originally were shooting for in the new generation.

Bill17601 01-31-2013 02:46 PM

Going to miss you RJ. But I respect your right to drive the models you like. There is a chance after the car has been around for awhile your opinion might accept it but at least SAVE THE WAVE...

BWF07 01-31-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by RJRSW (Post 1582997629)
:iagree:

From what the head corvette engineer said in the C&D interview video they had to stop the C7 design process twice because of the financial problems

Sounds a lot like the C5 saga.

z06inVB 01-31-2013 03:18 PM

To me it will depend on what the final power ratings are, the performance of the car and what the MSRP ends up at.

Also until I can actually see and drive one I am unsure how I will like the C 7. The car seems hard to read in photos. I see a pic that looks awesome and the next minute one that looks not so good. One big concern I have is rearward visibility.

RJRSW 01-31-2013 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by z06inVB (Post 1582998023)
Also until I can actually see and drive one I am unsure how I will like the C 7. The car seems hard to read in photos. I see a pic that looks awesome and the next minute one that looks not so good. One big concern I have is rearward visibility.

Been there and done that and I would suggest that anyone considering it should spend some time behind the wheel in one before buying it.

I was one of the people who got suckered in by the new C2 design and bought a brand new 63 split window coupe. Regretted getting rid of my 57 fuelie to buy the split window in less than a week. The visibility was horrible, not to mention the thing was noisy and hot. Traded it for a 64 convert after only 6 months and it was so much nicer to drive.

sprtplt 01-31-2013 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by RJRSW (Post 1582998180)
. Traded it for a 64 convert after only 6 months and it was so much nicer to drive.

Was the wind hard on your powdered wig?

RJRSW 01-31-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by sprtplt (Post 1582998355)
Was the wind hard on your powdered wig?

:lol:

Nope, I was only 21 then and now 20 vette converts later still have my own hair, a lot grayer but still have it. :D

SaberD 01-31-2013 05:54 PM

I think it will open up a new market to buyers of european and high end japanese sports cars. With the interior upgrades, there isn't anything those guys can rag on the corvette about anymore. It's a better all around performer with an interior on par with that market.

Who on God's green earth would buy a $65k audi tt over a 59k vette that beats it in every aspect. All I have to say is these other car manufacturers had better get their s#$% together if they want to sell anything that competes with the corvette, because their pricing is way too high for what they are offering in comparison to the vette.

R&L's C6 01-31-2013 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor (Post 1582996740)
Will the C7 be able to hold on to the traditional buyer while appealing to the new, non-traditional, buyer?

Opinions please. :cheers:

I think they will. Even though some of the Corvette guys are grumbling about a few things on the C7 (myself included) most of us are traditional American car buyers and will stick with the Corvette. We may wait awhile to get into the C7 but most of us probably will. JMO