CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Keep the Vette or ??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3213145-keep-the-vette-or.html)

07IPCforMe 02-05-2013 12:59 PM

Keep the Vette or ???

I thought this would be interesting to throw out for discussion here, given the widely varying (dis)interest in Pace Cars even within the Carvette community.

I inherited a 2007 Indy Pace Car (the orange one) when my Dad passed. It is a great car, and my first Corvette. If it had a M6, I may not be typing this, but it is an auto. In many ways, my '08 Cobalt SS is more fun to drive around most of the time.

I thought it would be interesting to poll the Corvette forums on my thoughts of trading it in for anything from a new '13 Roush stage 3 Mustang, to a CPO Audi TTRS, to a very used CTS-V, to another Corvette with 3 pedals.

It only has 15,000 miles on it, and I figure it is worth $32k-ish. I don't think I could go much higher than a $50k car at this point. I just wonder if there is someone out there who would love it more than I do...

Discuss :lurk:

brooklync5 02-05-2013 01:28 PM

If it has no sentimental value to you and your not a fan of the car then sell it. The cts-v would.be my choice on your list of possibles. Good luck and im sorry to hear about your dad, I cant stand the thought of losing my father one day. I will tell you however that if he left my his corvette it would be much more than a car to me and I would probably keep it for many years probably up until the day that I passed. Hes my best friend and the person I look up to and love most in this world!

BWF07 02-05-2013 01:58 PM

There is a difference in your father giving you the car and you inheriting it. But if it has no value to you as a keepsake, then I would try and sell it. If it were me, I would most like keep it and sell the Cobalt.

phileaglesfan 02-05-2013 02:03 PM

I would have trouble getting rid of it.

hig4s 02-05-2013 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 07IPCforMe (Post 1583040363)
I thought this would be interesting to throw out for discussion here, given the widely varying (dis)interest in Pace Cars even within the Carvette community.

I inherited a 2007 Indy Pace Car (the orange one) when my Dad passed. It is a great car, and my first Corvette. If it had a M6, I may not be typing this, but it is an auto. In many ways, my '08 Cobalt SS is more fun to drive around most of the time.

I thought it would be interesting to poll the Corvette forums on my thoughts of trading it in for anything from a new '13 Roush stage 3 Mustang, to a CPO Audi TTRS, to a very used CTS-V, to another Corvette with 3 pedals.

It only has 15,000 miles on it, and I figure it is worth $32k-ish. I don't think I could go much higher than a $50k car at this point. I just wonder if there is someone out there who would love it more than I do...

Discuss :lurk:

I doubt you could get $32k for it, there are brand new base 2012 Corvettes on lots going for $38k.

LS WON 02-05-2013 02:28 PM

If you want a comfortable riding car good for long trips with lots of room and trunk with V8 power check into a SRT Challenger. It costs alot less than a CTS-V which is the preferred choice.

2vette2 02-05-2013 02:39 PM

I inherited a 1931 Model A Ford when my dad died in 1978. I still have. Every time I thing I think about selling it I just can't bring myself to do it. I may drive it two or three times a year and the memories are wonderful. You got to do what is right for you. No one can tell you what that is but you.

Sorry about your Dad. :sadangel:

ClipperFan 02-05-2013 02:48 PM

my dad has already told me, get the cars u want etc.............trade them, sell them whatever

Tonylmiller 02-05-2013 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by hig4s (Post 1583041154)
I doubt you could get $32k for it, there are brand new base 2012 Corvettes on lots going for $38k.

You are comparing apples and oranges. You can't buy a new car like his for $38k.

shawn672 02-05-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller (Post 1583041360)
You are comparing apples and oranges. You can't buy a new car like his for $38k.

Despite kbb listing this 07 around 33k, no one is going to purchase an 07 used car for about the same price as a brand new one. This is the dilemma alot of people are having when trying to trade in their current car. Yes the Indy package will attract SOME buyers but I bet you'll attract far less because it's the Indy package (most people don't like it)

Tonylmiller 02-05-2013 03:36 PM

Depends on whether you want a base 1LT coupe or a loaded convertible. There is quite a difference in price, and many are willing to pay it.

arrie 02-05-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by brooklync5 (Post 1583040639)
If it has no sentimental value to you and your not a fan of the car then sell it. The cts-v would.be my choice on your list of possibles. Good luck and im sorry to hear about your dad, I cant stand the thought of losing my father one day. I will tell you however that if he left my his corvette it would be much more than a car to me and I would probably keep it for many years probably up until the day that I passed. Hes my best friend and the person I look up to and love most in this world!

where's the smiley with the tears? Brought tears to my eyes....for real. I want your dad to read that....

arrie 02-05-2013 03:52 PM

I would have trouble getting rid of ANY corvette....just sayin'

Vetteman Jack 02-05-2013 03:59 PM

I personally would have a hard time getting rid of the car, but if it just does not excite you, then perhaps some other one would. Of those you listed, I would lean towards the CTS-V with the Roush being second.

TLS_Addict 02-05-2013 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller (Post 1583041750)
Depends on whether you want a base 1LT coupe or a loaded convertible. There is quite a difference in price, and many are willing to pay it.

You are forgetting that the new car has a warranty, LS3 and new tranny.

The bold is what a lot of people desire when buying a 30k car. And options on a used car after a couple years dont mean much. They are mostly outdated and well.......yesterdays upgrades. That is not to offend anyone at all. Buy the car you want and enjoy it. But the upgrades are not that much of an upgrade. Now, the convertible portion, yes, that is a BIG deciding factor. :yesnod:

dvilin 02-05-2013 04:11 PM

If it really has no sentimental value to you, then sell it and get whatever you can afford/want.
I personally would have a very difficult time parting with it.

TLS_Addict 02-05-2013 04:29 PM

OP.....my dad has instructions for me about his guns. His collection is over 60 as of the other day. His instructions are that I am to keep a few select guns. Some are to be given to museums to be displayed (rare Civil War items), the rest I am to sell and purchase myself the most kick butt gun and optics and to buy myself a hunt to remember him by. Unless of course I have a left handed son and then I am to give them to him.

The same goes with cars. I am not sure I could ever get rid of something my father gives to me.

Its up to you. If it has no meaning just get rid of it and get something that makes you happy and know that every time you start the engine your day is with you.

SilverFish 02-05-2013 04:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine over 20 years ago and still miss him a lot.
My bet is he would want you to live your own life and not hold onto a car just because it was his dream. I've come to that conclusion for my own Son. He has completely different tastes from me when it comes to cars. I don't want to force him to live out my dreams (other than for him to be happy and healthy) or make him feel that he's obligated to. My advice (FWIW) is find the car that speaks to you and hold onto the memories that you have of your Dad.

alanRS 02-05-2013 04:59 PM

Well spoken Silver Fish

R&L's C6 02-05-2013 05:13 PM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My Mom and Dad both passed a few years ago. After he retired, he started to do some woodworking. He made some of those corny yard things like old wagons, bear benches, squirrel feeders. Typically things I wouldn't put in my yard, but after he passed away I put some of those things in my backyard. When I sit back there on a warm summer day and look at them, I cant help but feel close to him. They're pieces of "him", his work, his passion, things he touched...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would keep that car, because it is more than just a car, its something he touched, his passion, its something to remember him every time you use it......JMO