CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3214160-not-that-i-plan-to-do-this-but-how-do-you-do-a-burn-out.html)

vetteguy75 02-06-2013 11:55 PM

Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out?

I'm not planning to do a burn-out, but how, logistically, do you do it? I understand that you have to keep one foot on the brakes and the other on the accelerator....If you do that won't that ruin your rear brakes? I've always wondered.....:thumbs: Funny, whenever I stomp on my accelerator from a stand-still, I just get pure acceleration...no squeal or tire burning...just GO!

bluedawg 02-07-2013 12:08 AM

It wont ruin the rear brakes unless you do it all the time. This method is referred to power breaking. If you have enough power you can do it by just stomping the accelerator.

Oldguard 7 02-07-2013 12:11 AM

That is how you do it if you don't have a line lock installed. As you probably already know the purpose drag racers do a burn out is to warm up the tires so they stick to the track. The white smoke you see is aided by a water/bleach mixture. Hope I didn't go off on a tangent or insulted your intelligence. But that's the way you do it as you wrote in your post. You have to really keep your foot on the brake pedal while spinning your wheels. If you have some seroius hp you will get a good amount of smoke.

MrJlr 02-07-2013 12:11 AM

What you are talking about is "power braking".....only use the minimum brake presure possible....yes....it's always hard on your car......but fun!
My car smokes the tires without power braking......

Find a parking lot with no one around...be safe and do it once.....it's a freakin Corvette for God's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be safe

gkull 02-07-2013 12:21 AM

You have lived a sheltered life or else you have only owned sorry ass slow vehicles:D

To do a smokey burn out on my bike without the brake I rev it to 8000 rpm and drop the clutch. Your car doesn't do 14,000 rpm so only rev it to about 4000 in "N" and then drop it into drive with your foot on the floor.

Guarantied that it will burn your tires at least for a few times.

TimAT 02-07-2013 01:09 AM

Or there will be a loud very expensive noise.

my_z 02-07-2013 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by TimAT (Post 1583055808)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cv67 02-07-2013 01:30 AM

whenever I stomp on my accelerator from a stand-still, I just get pure acceleration...no squeal or tire burning...just GO!
Thats the goal! Burnouts are for kids never understood the significance of them

SuperBuickGuy 02-07-2013 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by TimAT (Post 1583055808)

it's rarely the noise that's expensive .... unless, of course, it's the one emanating from one's spouse :D

Bangkok Dean 02-07-2013 02:29 AM

I have tried it a couple of times with my 5 speed manual, all I get is big time wheel hop after dropping the clutch. Now if I start moving and stomp on it the wheels will spin.:cheers:

Matt Gruber 02-07-2013 06:29 AM

Back in HS the Auto shop students would get to park the drivers Ed cars :lol: back up real fast, keep it floored, then shift to Drive while doing ~30mph in reverse :eek: lots of smoke until teacher came out and complained.

racerbug 02-07-2013 07:10 AM

Try putting water under the rear wheels,then try power braking it.Rev it up in neutral and put in gear will only break u-joints or inner axles.Don't ask how I no.

Pelee4me 02-07-2013 07:31 AM

Turn off the traction control before you do anything. When I first tried a full throttle start in my C6 I expected some smoke.... I got nothing. Then I remembered the traction control, turned that off and tried again... lots of smoke and squealing.

ezobens 02-07-2013 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MrJlr (Post 1583055562)
What you are talking about is "power braking".....only use the minimum brake presure possible....yes....it's always hard on your car......but fun!
My car smokes the tires without power braking......

Find a parking lot with no one around...be safe and do it once.....it's a freakin Corvette for God's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be safe

I must be old-
Back when I was a kid (now I sound like my grandfather), the term we used was "Brake-Torque"...
Maybe that was just a mid-70's Midwestern term?

Anyway, the method was used for automatic powered cars that couldn't break them loose otherwise. To make it easier to perform, we'd do it over a manhole cover or at the leading edge of a speed bump..

For really power challenged vehicles, we employed a technique affectionately called the "Brinni-Drop", named after a friend of ours that devised the technique (to our knowledge anyway).
To perform this technique, you put the car in reverse, floor it and when you reach about 10mph or so in reverse, you dump the trans into low gear (all the while keeping your right foot firmly planted to the firewall).
You could get some spectacular results from cars that could normally never spin their tires.
This was much more painful on the drivetrain but in high-school, who cared?
Besides, we usually did it in our parent's cars so it didn't matter.. :rofl:
Surprisingly enough, we never dropped a trans or a driveshaft with this technique.
Ahh.. The good ole' days....
Have fun!
:thumbs:

Hameister 02-07-2013 08:10 AM

I guess I must be getting old. Burnouts are necessary, in the staging area of a drag strip.

For street operation, it seems to me, it's nothing more than a macho, "look at me", exercise.

Which would be just fine, if you didn't leave $800.00 worth of rubber in the street. :crazy2:

ezobens 02-07-2013 08:21 AM

Lighten up Frances :rofl: jk

When we were kids, it had nothing to do with being 'Macho' and we normally did it where we wouldn't be seen or get caught.
Some of us just like the smell of burning rubber and still do :D

If you're burning up $800 in tires, your doing it wrong-
We used to by used tires from Sears or JC Penny auto centers for $5-$10 bucks a piece (back in the 70's and 80's remember) for the sole purpose of smoking them off.
Even today, the kid in me snickers when I light em' up by "accident"..
As an old friend told me years ago.. "These cars were meant to get-on".
:cheers:

Hameister 02-07-2013 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ezobens (Post 1583056862)
Lighten up Frances :rofl: jk

When we were kids, it had nothing to do with being 'Macho' and we normally did it where we wouldn't be seen or get caught.
Some of us just like the smell of burning rubber and still do :D

If you're burning up $800 in tires, your doing it wrong-
We used to by used tires from Sears or JC Penny auto centers for $5-$10 bucks a piece (back in the 70's and 80's remember) for the sole purpose of smoking them off.
Even today, the kid in me snickers when I light em' up by "accident"..
As an old friend told me years ago.. "These cars were meant to get-on".
:cheers:

Well, to each his own my friend. As a kid, I had a GTX 440 6 PAK 435hp that ran SS-E. My friends all had muscle cars as well, and we all raced at the local drag strip, nearly every Sunday. That's where we tore up street tires, or slicks. No one burned up rubber in the street. We were all well aware that it was potentially dangerous, and a waste of money. But, like I said, to each his own.

Frances

daanbc 02-07-2013 08:37 AM

As a kid I had a 81 TRANS AM with the lam 4.9 "301" motor. I placed BF Goodrich tires on back. But what made it worst was they were 50's. So damn wide and to much traction. So I took my windshield washer hose that went to my wipers, spliced and routed them to the top of the rear wheel fenders. Then filled the wiper bottle with bleach n water. I would spray the tires so they would be soft, then I was able to smoke'em. Fun in High school. But tires get expensive. LOL.:D

hugie82 02-07-2013 08:47 AM

With a stock 75 vette doing a burnout??? You better invest in a line lock system or plan on an engine up grade :D

7t9l82 02-07-2013 09:05 AM

im working on keeping mine from going up in smoke, no I'm not gonna pull out 2 spark plugs. I've never had a car that i had to power brake to spin em. i would advise against neutral drive drops.......... lighten up francis, l.o.l. from stripes good one