CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3214952-hallo-its-me-again-question-for-all-of-you-c3-owners.html)

Cattiva73 02-08-2013 03:08 PM

Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.

My 1973 vette did not have a spare tire nor a spare tire assembly when I got it...I hear it's a safety addition from Chevy to add protection in case of an impact from the rear.

What do you think?

I don't care for the tire I have rode side assistance..nor for the perfect look but I'd like to make the vehicle as safe as possible.

If safer ...what's going to take to install/add a spare tire?
Can I install the tire with only the Y bracket without the actual upper/lower carriers?..those things are expensive!

Thank you guys
Cheers
:yesnod:

Easy Mike 02-08-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cattiva73 (Post 1583069553)
I hear it's a safety addition from Chevy to add protection in case of an impact from the rear.

Not really. The spare is where it is because there isn't any other place to put it. For no reason other than mass, I suppose there might be a tad of shock absorbing use from the spare. Remember: the spare is under the fuel tank and not between the tank and the rear panel.

The steel beams in your doors are impact protection.

:thumbs:

Cattiva73 02-08-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1583069888)
Not really. The spare is where it is because there isn't any other place to put it. For no reason other than mass, I suppose there might be a tad of shock absorbing use from the spare. Remember: the spare is under the fuel tank and not between the tank and the rear panel.

The steel beams in your doors are impact protection.

:thumbs:

Thanks EasyMike,
I guess my concern is the gas tank being hit and brake :eek:..you say the spare tire does not protect anything?

John 65 02-08-2013 04:51 PM

I dont know how much safer it makes the car, but its a fairly ez install, and if you do add one you want all the componets for it. That Y bracket is attached to the tub, which is hung by 2 rods in the front that bolt in under the car. The other end of that bracket gets supported in the back by hooking on to a threaded rod which is raised and lowered for access to the tire. To me, it just looks more complete with it back there, besides the obvious reasons to have it. After its in, make sure there isnt anything coming in contact with the exhaust. One good thing with it missing is it sure does open things up down there and offers plenty of room to work. Good luck.

Alan 71 02-08-2013 04:54 PM

Hi C,
I agree with Mike.... the spare tire is too low and too loosely mounted to offer any protection from a rear hit.
I actually think the rear of the car looks a bit odd without the tub. It's probably just what I'm used to.
Regards,
Alan

80Baby 02-08-2013 05:03 PM

I gotta go with Mike on this one. The spare tire carrier wasn't designed to be a safety device, but it probably would add some cushion in a low impact collision. With that said, there's guys who don't have the carrier on their cars just to save a bit of weight. That should tell you how effective it is in the unlikely event an accident.

As for me, the carrier sitting between the exhaust pipes is "pure" Corvette. It doesn't look the same without it.

birdsmith 02-08-2013 06:41 PM

It was/ still is common for road racers to relocate C3 fuel tanks from above the rear frame rails to below them in order to lower the CG, where it is typically protected by additional steel tubing as well. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...

Is it crude? Of course, but that's why it's there.

Cattiva73 02-08-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by birdsmith (Post 1583071485)
It was/ still is common for road racers to relocate C3 fuel tanks from above the rear frame rails to below them in order to lower the CG, where it is typically protected by additional steel tubing as well. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...

Could I use just the Y bracket to hold the spare tire in place?

billcarson 02-08-2013 06:47 PM

it also gives our cars that perfect balance that we all enjoy.

Mike Ward 02-08-2013 06:58 PM

. The primary reason for the location of that spare is to prevent the rear of the car from folding up like a bag of soda crackers in a rear-end collision and causing the otherwise unprotected fuel tank to explode...

Sorry, false. The spare is not retained in a manner secure enough to achieve this. In a collision it will get shoved forward/sideways snapping off all three retaining bolts.

Torqued Off 02-08-2013 07:22 PM

I would say that is simply your opinion, unless you are an engineer who designed the C3 vette. Everyone can have an opinion, but I hardly think you are correct on this one. Secondly, if it was not located there, where else would you put a spare tire on a C3 Corvette.

EmNash 02-08-2013 07:47 PM

The spare tire location was the same since the introduction of this chassis in 1963. I am quite sure when the spare was positioned between the tail pipes below the gas tank it was because of the physics involved in filling the tank from above and removing the spare tire from below. Absorbing impact energy was not a consideration for engineers in 1963.

Cattiva73 02-08-2013 08:52 PM

will it fit?

Anybody knows if a spare tire V bracket from 1967 Corvette is the same length of the V bracket from a 1973 vette?

Will this C2 bracket fit a C3 chassis?

Thanks

Procrastination Racing 02-08-2013 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cattiva73 (Post 1583071537)
Could I use just the Y bracket to hold the spare tire in place?

No.

It most likely would fall out. The bracket isn't stiff enough to hold the tire or wide enough, unlike the steel bar on pickup trucks. The bracket was just there because they didn't know how to put a load on fiberglass at the time. The fiberglass tub wasn't thick enough to handle it by itself. This is 17 years because fiberglass springs occurred and they hadn't figured how to create a load point on fiberglass.

Watch the swap meets, eBay, and Craigslist. They come up time to time.

Sids04 02-08-2013 09:14 PM

Ironically my 73 is also missing the spare tire carrier.. I am not sure if I am going to bother replacing it or not..

Raphiki 02-08-2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone (Post 1583071897)
I would say that is simply your opinion, unless you are an engineer who designed the C3 vette. Everyone can have an opinion, but I hardly think you are correct on this one. Secondly, if it was not located there, where else would you put a spare tire on a C3 Corvette.

Could have done this:

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2b9a16ea.jpg

:D

my 76 ray 02-08-2013 10:49 PM

If you get hit in the rear end, you're not going fast enough.

540 vette 02-08-2013 10:50 PM

If you are worried about getting hit in the rear of a plastic car maybe you should look to drive something else.
If byou get hit hard enough in any car you are going to get hurt.

ugadog 02-09-2013 12:16 AM

I’m having a hard time imagining that a spare tire could offer any significant “protection” in a crash. :crazy2: I think the people starting these rumors have spent way too much time in the bumper cars at the amusement parks. :lol:

ugadog 02-09-2013 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by my 76 ray (Post 1583073725)
If you get hit in the rear end, you're not going fast enough.

:rofl: Love it!